1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notching rear chassis frame info

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by Juzzy, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Juzzy

Juzzy Member

Hey guys,
    Thinking of going down the chassis notch route, nothing crazy maybe just 50mm c notch, coming from airbagged mini truck background will be doing it with a mate who did all our chassis work before getting the bus,

Anyone done it or have any info on doing it etc?
    I know wagenswest has a DIY link on their page but after more info from people who have done it.

Got about 30mm between frame and drive shafts at the moment and would like to lower it a further 50mm or so, so should be sweet with 50mm notch.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Cheers
    Juzzy

2. jb4845

jb4845 Member

3. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

So where is it Juzzy. We need pics of the new stance please. Specs too.

As for the notching, what are the plans? Are you going lower on the front? Have you considered chassis and wheel tub clearance at the front of the van? The only reason why I'm asking is that usually if you need to notch the rear you almost certainly need to notch the front too and raise the tubs.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  4. Juzzy

Juzzy Member

Bus.jpg

Its lowered on adjusters and spline in rear, going to get drop plates for rear.
    Not going to tub front end as yet, just go smaller profile tyres.

5. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

I'd recomend adjustable springplates for the rear. U plates or horseshoe plates will get you a little lower but will make the back tires almost impossible to remove.

Your stance looks like the front is sitting slightly higher than the back which is strange. Usually the rake is the other way around.

If you lower the front another 2" on the adjusters your ride is really going to suffer, especially when you combined it with low profile tyres. You may also have some issues with the tyres rubbing the guard when you turn, thus the need for a narrowed beam. For what you're after I would recommend a set of 3.5" dropped spindles combined with the low profile tyres and adjustable springplates at the rear. This should get you down another 1" or 2" without sacrificing any ride comfort. In fact the dropped spindles will allow you to wind your adjusters up a little and probably improve the ride quality as the suspension travel will increase.

Good luck with it.

6. 77dual

77dual Member

You'll definitely need adjustable springplates to get the wheels off easily, it's a real pain in the ass to have to let down the tyres everytime. I currently have them on my DC and have some horseshoes to go on as well which are great for keeping the IRS arms away from the chassis and putting some positive camber back on the wheels. Means you only need small notches for the driveshafts, next on my list too. I'd go for Creative adjustable springplates, I have another well known brand and wouldn't use them again.

Depending on where your adjusters are welded in at the moment, you might have problems if you go for 3.5in spindles. I have a 4in beam in mine with 3.5 drop spindles and no tubbing and on bigger bumps or full lock the tyres rub and I only have one more notch on the adjusters before I run out. I'm running 175/65/14's on the front. It looks good but needs tubs or smaller tyres again to stop the rubbing.

7. Juzzy

Juzzy Member

Won some transporterhaus 3.5 inch drop spindles, so hopefully grab them this weekend and source a 2nd hand pair of 165/65/14s so I can run the white walls with out them discoloring from new tyres, hoping to be good to go by old bar!

8. Juzzy

Juzzy Member

So finally fitted 165 65 14 tyres to the front, spindles are going in tomorrow, thinking of dropping rear tyre size to 185 65 14 instead of the 195 70 14s that are on there now, try to even out the rake a little bit.

9. Juzzy

Juzzy Member

image.jpg
    Adjusters all the way up, beam is a whole 40mm off the ground lol lower than I thought it was going to be, that's for sure!