NSW Central Coast to Adelaide then Back Along Great Ocean Rd & home

Discussion in 'Camping Australia' started by Syncro27, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Hey experienced kombi travelers,

My eldest daughter made the National Little A's team in her age group which is in Adelaide in April this year and we are going to also make it a part kombi adventure.

Any tips on the way back from Adelaide as we are going to do the Great Ocean Rd (hopefully no fires then) and then we are going to say Horsham VIC then back up to say the Murray somewhere and then back home.

Any other route suggestions/ places to see around that rough route?

Thanks,

Luckyphil likes this.
  2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Tell her well done & good luck at nationals :)

Syncro27 likes this.
  3. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Breeding Olympic champions Scotty?

We have done the Great Ocean Road 3 times but only driven as far as Mt Gambier. Each time we have come back along the Hume.

Syncro27 likes this.
  4. Syncro27

Yes the Hume was the plan with a few side trips on the way. ;)

5. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Through Broken Hill!

up through the Barossa, then Peterborough, Silverton, Menindee Lakes (well.... :rolleyes:) Cobar, Nyngan, Dubbo Zoo home

If you have time after Barossa, up to the Flinders Ranges and Wilpeena Pound

Done that trip a few times

bh.jpg

Elsie 76 and Syncro27 like this.
  6. Marlyn

Marlyn Active Member

I agree with Barry , we did this trip years ago , Broken Hill , Menindee , Silvertown etc.
    comfortable time to travel as well !
    All our best for the Athletics have a great trip

Syncro27 likes this.
  7. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

Barry is wise. Add in the Clare Valley - I will let the locals know not to throw rocks at you.

On the way back, doing great ocean road, cross out the word Horsham, and write Halls Gap in its place.

It's really hard to give you any advice without knowing what your timeframe is.

Syncro27 likes this.
  8. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

mmmmm.................. Logan Pub!

9. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Agree with Barry et al...
    We've done this circuit a couple of times now....
    Highlights....inland towns that we wouldn't normally ( as a surfing family ) we wouldn't go near...making boomerangs with a Koori fella in Wilcannia, Silverton pub, Broken Hill - particularly Delpratt's mine tour - then on the coast, snorkelling in Picannini Ponds, Koorong National Park, Koala spotting in the Ottways etc. etc.
    Try & take as long as possible, there is so much to see out there.
    To be honest, the coast before TGO road is better.....be prepared to see many tourist buses, groups etc. at the iconic sites.....just doesn't seem to have a quiet time.
    Great trip, enjoy it....you will make plans to go again.
    For what it's worth, we went inland to SA & then coastal home.
    Second time to SA via Griffith, Overland corner, Koorong & then up through the Glorious regional Victoria......gotta see more of that ! Across to NSW Sth Coast & surfed home....
    Cheers, Mark

10. Syncro27

We are struggling for time bit as big daughter is flying down with Mel and little daughter and I are driving down and camping on the way - we have 3 days to get there and I will be struggling to get 5-6 hours drive per day without severe complaints.

Still looking forward to it greatly. Thanks for the tips folks.

11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Undercover Syncro parking with free wireless, kitchen, stocked beer fridge, ensuite, laundry, living, and one inside spare double bed if you happen to pass the ACT on your travels....;)

12. Syncro27

Thanks Grant. :)

13. seano

seano Member

We are in the way of your journey... and know the area well enough. If you are in a hurry on the way back then skip the Fleurieu and head straight to Murray Bridge then on to Robe and Bridgeport and down along the coast to Mt Gambier. Don't skip the Glenelg National Park once you cross into Vic. Head along the coast to Port Campbell and the Half Dozen Apostles then skip the GOR as the better roads and scenery are through the Otways rather than down on the coast. The GOR is like driving from Terrigal to Killcare...but with more tour buses and caravans. From Colac head north through the Western Districts via places like Mt Eccles and the Grampians then east across the northern plains towards Corowa then out to the Hume and homewards...

Syncro27 likes this.
  14. Syncro27

Thanks Seano.

That sounds ideal - I will look into thatand get the maps out again.

Cheers,

Scott

15. tillis

tillis Active Member

I see you mention Horsham on your itinery and having travelled that way and if you have time before you get to Horsham stop at Natimuk and turn left to Arapiles...3km and the worlds best rockclimbing venue...and its all visible...and there is camping available...sigh, maybe its just me wants to go back! Good luck to the little one!

16. Syncro27

Back from our trip now and made it almost all the way around and home - just the last 360kms were on a tow truck even though the engine was running fine and the gearbox still worked -well sort of.

I could still drive forward in all gears but reverse was not possible due to diff issues. Forward gears were noisy too.

Hence to be safe and with NRMA premium the kombi wanted a lift home - so we all got a lift home in the tow truck - thanks again NRMA!

Anyway the rest of the trip was sensational - loved it!

Weather was great except for the second last day and a tiny bit on the first day whilst driving. Love those outback roads but the trucks are scary.

Got to Adelaide after 3 days of driving stopping in Wagga and Ouyen for overnighters and got to Adelaide early afternoon to pick up Mel for the airport and off to a cabin for a few days in West Beach area. Very nice.

We went to Glenelg and Henley Beach and they were great love that Beach House.

Finally got to see my big girl on Sunday at the National Little Athletic titles where she came 12th in her 1500m run (which she didnt go very hard so she was fresh for her pet event the race walk 1500m which she won and got a record time that had stood since 1995. Very proud!

Then we tried to go through Hahrndorf and got stuck in holiday traffic so gave up on that and headed for the coast down to Meningie and Lake Albert - awesome caravan park on the lake.

Then onto Robe and through Millicent to Mount Gambier.

Then through to Haywood and down to Portland before heading back through Port Fairy, Warnambool and onto the Great Ocean Road through Port Campbell to Apollo Bay for the night via the Otway Ranges. What an awesome drive. Very steep, winding and narrow but awesome.

Then through the rest of the Great Ocean Road including awesome little towns along the coastal frontage like Lorne, Anglesea and then off to Bells and Torquay before heading north past Melbourne to Ballarat.

We then went through Bendigo to Echuca to check out the very green Murray River that forms the NSW - Vic border and then off to Albury for our last night.

Left the next morning about 9:30 and got to Yass by about 2:00pm after a stop in Hollbrook to look at that massive submarine sitting in a park.

This is where the problems were noticed and we went the last 360kms on a tow truck leaving just on dark and getting home about 9:30pm.

Thanks to Chucky for looking after my house and dog while we were gone. He is a legend!

Gus to have his gearbox and engine removed and replaced. Up on blocks now - I really needed another project right now!

Photos soon....

Luckyphil likes this.
  17. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Welcome home, will have to get the Caravelle registered as a runaround now, always pays to have a spare :)

18. Syncro27

Exactly.

That's the plan now

19. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

So this time you are close to my neck of the woods again (Yass), whilst I'm down at Berry, and unable to even offer some moral support......o_O

20. Syncro27

I thought of you so close Grant but with the NRMA card in my hand - I knew I had a way home that would not damage the van.

All good now except for the gearbox in the syncro