1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NSW Historic Rego.....here we go!

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by ruby6689, Jan 13, 2017.

1. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

I am just about to put our three Kombis on N.S.W. Historic rego to lessen our annual costs (we have 10 regos all up).

The only NSW VW club that is on the RMS's list is ClubVeeDub Sydney and they make you wait a year before allowing you to get your Historic rego. All good but as part of the terms of the rego you need to have the cars inspected by the club, fab if you are close by, I'm over 800klms away so this was not an option.
    I scanned through the RMS's list and found all the car clubs in my immediate area to be either a certain make/type or bike. Nothing fitted Kombis :mad: I eventually came across a general all makes club at Byron Bay, and was very grateful when they accepted our membership, Andy works there so that is easy for us to get our Kombis to. We have actually attended a couple of their events not even knowing who they were! I explained my long association with KC and was given immediate eligibility for the Historic rego and now have my 'roadworthy slips' for all three Kombis.

I have googled my little fingers off trying to get details of costs but just can't seem to find them on the RMS web page so I tried to call. After twenty minutes waiting on the phone I am now awaiting a call back.:rolleyes:

Hopefully I will know more soon.o_O

Luckyphil likes this.
  2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

It's a fair call from a lot of the VW clubs as people use them purely for the purpose of cheaper rego without involvement in the club ...... they have rules they have to abide by also.

Club organised events/rallys ????? rules and conditions to abide by :rolleyes:

Squidy likes this.
  3. ruby6689

Certainly and I was fully prepared to do so but unfortunately for those of us living in the country it is impossible to get our cars inspected by them annually. It would have be easier for us to join a QLD club as they are closer but that is not accepted by the RMS of NSW. The Byron Bay Car Club have several members with Kombis and were more than happy to have us on board and we will be attending more of their upcoming events as a result. I am not a 'user', never have been, never will be and have always abided by the rules.:)

melissa and Luckyphil like this.
  4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

The club would of except photos of your cars as reference to your request. But I think you are properly better off with a local club any way .

ruby6689 likes this.
  5. ruby6689

Just got my call back from the RMS, glad I didn't wait on line!

The costs are not listed on their site so I wasn't going mad but I have been advised that there is a plate fee one off payment of $44 per vehicle and then an annual fee of $22 for Rego and $29 for CTP (rural rate). We can change them over at any time and they will do a pro rata refund of Rego and our CTP will be pro rata refunded as well.

I didn't really want to loose our premium plates but this is a no brainer for us.

Looks like we're off to the RMS tomorrow.

Will update and confirm pricing etc tomorrow.

melissa likes this.
  6. Marlyn

Marlyn Active Member

Hi Lorraine , good move !
    I struggled when I put my old Bonneville on club plates as I too had to surrender my personalised plates .......but then $600 / year saved as you say ..a no brainer .
    See you in Swansea !

ruby6689 likes this.
  7. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

And
    I thought Tassie had it good with SI vehicles.....

Then again once it's registered here all you have to do is keep paying on the renewal notice.....

ruby6689 likes this.
  8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Don't you have to attend a certain number of events each year?

9. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

No - things have changed - and you even get more days to use it per year. I am going to be doing this with the 75 bay. I have found a local club too that isn't VW's only.

Grantus and ruby6689 like this.
  10. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

You have to hand your personal plates in, that's are bit mean. I still have personalised plates at home that the kids and Cathy bought for me 28 years ago. I don't have them on any vehicles any more, they just ornament in the back yard.

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Big difference in cost.
    Worth a bit of inconvenience or limitations

ruby6689 likes this.
  12. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

You are correct but I don't see it being enforced. They also like you to attend before they give historical plates as well to get to know you and they will waive the 12 month period. Know it changes with the 60 day logbook use throughout the year plus your normal club runs In N.S.W
    There is talk about a system similar to historical vehicle that have been for modified vehicles of historical age period.

Ruby6689 you burning rubber to get to the RMS tomorrow .Pain free not pay free. o_O:confused: .Hoping everything runs smoothly at RMS (what I mean)

ruby6689 likes this.
  13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Club VW used to be very strict, but that was a long time ago.

14. jobell

jobell Active Member

Lorraine - I am going through the same process at the moment. Our local club is primarily a historic machinery club.... cars aren't even mentioned in the club name! Whilst my interest in old tractors and the like is exceptionally low I shall do my best to involve myself in (some) club events. I feel like it can't be all take and no give....

ruby6689 likes this.
  15. ruby6689

We have a vintage tractor but luckily it doesn't have rego. I asked the lady at the RMS if they had a Historic Rego scheme for caravans and boats but no they don't. Darn could have saved more.

Grantus and MAP77 like this.
  16. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Strap some mower slasher blades under the caravan........and call it a rural paddock implement. :rolleyes:

jobell, StevieVW and ruby6689 like this.
  17. MAP77

MAP77 Well-Known Member

Hey Lorraine, just think with all this saving you guys will be able to purchase your next VW!

18. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good option. Go for it.
    No worres here in the UK as any vehicle made before 1973 pays no annual registration fee. :)
    Bigger bonus is vehicles made before 1960 don't require an annual blue slip. Win win for me. :):)

19. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Think it perfectly reasonable Brian you want a Vintage/Special Interest Vehicle registration (primarily to save money) then put on those specific plates as designated by the state authority.

As for personalised plates I still have my NSW ones received as a 21st present from my uncle in 1974 ....... not on any vehicle as now reside in QLD ...... they sit on the shelf in the store room :p

20. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I was the one in charge of historical registrations for the local ACT VW club before it became a chapter of Club VeeDub in Sydney. The restrictions on vehicle use were only a number of KMs per year and only take the vehicle to club events or to a garage for maintenance. Log books were mandatory. I don't know what the current regulations are. The restrictions back then meant that I never considered historic plates for any of my personal vehicles.

Ian