NSW Historic Rego.....here we go!

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by ruby6689, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

What are they Bert?

2. reelmick

reelmick Member

The clubs set ther own minor rules ,bi-laws etc. the great club i'm in has set 5klm out and 5 back for test runs ,petrol tunes etc RMS usually dont want anything to do with historic plates they leave it to the clubs the 60 day log book scheme is not mandatory you dont have to be on it,if you do you get the log sheet from RMS (why wouldnt you) and fill it in for the extra 60 trips. N..B club runs and meetings dont go on the sheet ,theres no extra costs .Our club has a points system that requires going on a certain amount club runs and club meetings to have the log sheet and retain the club plates,its a great system ! Members are mostly from the newcastle area so they can particapate. I hope you find a club in your area. Mick

ruby6689 likes this.
  3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Chris, just boring ones as back in 1974 you really didn't have much choice in NSW ..... intials and 3 numbers - AW 581.

Aspro likes this.
  4. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

Things have changed, you now get the option to 'log book' your travel which means you can use them for 60 days on top of any club meet/mechanical/ events etc as before. That was what stopped us from going to Historic Rego before as we didn't want the restrictions. ACT may have different rules to NSW, all states vary so you need to check.

5. ruby6689

IMG_0089.JPG
    Done! Three consecutive plates. Even cheaper than quoted. $46 a year including CTP. (Plus one off $44 plate fee) so all three cheaper than just one regular CTP green slip. Nice refund coming back as well. RMS lady was fabulous. RMS also give you letters to submit to your current CTP insurancer to get refund.

We paid $2,539 for the three regos, CTPs & pink slips last year. Now $138 for all three.

Very happy

jobell, stusbus, Borgey and 5 others like this.
  6. ruby6689

More savings. Rang Shannons to change rego details and they advised me that all excesses are now only $200 and my premiums have dropped and I would be receiving a refund if $468. The insured value and terms remain the same.
    Doing a happy dance.

Grantus and melissa like this.
  7. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Happy days. Great result

ruby6689 likes this.
  8. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Thats great info to know ruby6689 thanks . At least you have consecutive numbers for you to remember them .

ruby6689 likes this.
  9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Do you have to get pink slips every year with your club or does a club member do it?

Club Vee Dub Sydney have stayed with the old method of pink slips to avoid any liability problems.

10. KahunaKombi

Phill, what I would consider is a responsible decision ;) by Club Vee Dub as I'd expect it'd only take one suspect one and an issue and the club would see the fertiliser hit the ventilator :eek: onus goes back to inspector not associated to the club.

11. ruby6689

No Pink Slip required but yearly inspections by Club member who has a mechanical workshop business. A Club must be registered with the RMS for at least two years before they can do their own safety checks. Our cars are serviced regularly and all well maintained, Andy is anal about safety and maintenance.

syncro likes this.
  12. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Mega happy dance I imagine? :)

Good info Lorraine for others wondering if there is any realistic benefit for historic rego......;)

That's not a small reduction in costs! That's quite considerable. :cool:

13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Yes, I wasn't making an opinion there.

People need to realise that there are two things here. The RMS regulations which are standard across the state and the club rules which are unique to each club. You have to comply with both. I remember many years ago Club VW cancelled the registration of a member for doing the wrong thing.

ruby6689 likes this.
  14. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I heard a similar discussion by the powers that be, at the last Nationals (2016), in regards to a vehicle we were looking at, that had obtained historic rego, but the owner had sinced modified it, to an obviously illegal (and unroadworthy) state.

Decisions were being made, to cancel the rego.

15. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

I was talking to a guy who is in a hot rod/classic car club member about classic plates. The newer rules are great for most but technically still only for a stock car.
    What stock means is as it came from the factory !! Any lowering of the car, adding mag wheels or anything like adding disc brake etc are a modification and technically should not be allowed to be regoed under the current vintage car ruling. Most clubs do not wont to no about this as they turn a blind eye as long as it looks to be clean/newish and well maintained.
    The only time you will test this is if you have a crash and do a claim and the insurer finds out and does not pay you and you have a big fat bill to pay for the other car you may of hit!
    or you maybe get pulled over by r.t.a for an roadside inspection or a get switched on police person who been told to check for defects and could make your car not road worthy on the spot followed by fines id say.
    Saying that there is light at the tunnel with a newer classic car rego category about to start soon rumor has it.
    It allows for these mechanical improvements for safer driving and bigger engines and such and will be able to be regoed under an newer classic plate catagory.
    cheers chuckster

KahunaKombi likes this.
  16. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I think that period correct modifications are OK as long as they comply with RMS guidelines. eg Early Beetle with twin Solexes, Mako discs, BRM wheels etc.

ruby6689 likes this.
  17. KahunaKombi

Ka-Ching Chuck :D
    Limitations on usage are flaunted by many ..... time to take out of garage for a run not to/from mechanics but a cruise for self gratification :cool: ...... have seen police stop historic or special vehicle plated cars and owners not too happy at being caught outside distance/usage allowed :confused:

18. Wayne murray

A problem with pink slips for clubs at the moment is RMS doesn't recognize electronic pink slips for historic rego and still have to do it the old fashion method pink slip form, Therefore most mechanic places have moved on from old system and onto the electronic method. Making it harder for people on historic rego to find someone to check their car for a pink slip.So I have heard.
    Or as ruby6689 mention somebody in club checks all cars.

19. ruby6689

We chose the 'log book' option which gives us 60 days for each Kombi to drive as we like on top of the usual Club meets/ mechanic visits etc. That's 180 days for the 3 Kombi's far more than we ever drive them usually. Other states may not have these options.

melissa likes this.
  20. Wayne murray

I know Victoria have either 45 days 0r 90 days usage options