1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nullarbor and beyond....

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Rocky, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Well here we are in Sunny Ceduna for a couple of days, then on we go across the Nullarbor, heading for Esperance, then slowly West and North.
    We have had a great drive so far, met lots of great people and are totally relaxing as we go :)
    If anyone has recommendations for mechanics, camp sites, Easter refuge or any other advice, all help would be appreciated. We are heading up the West Coast, on to Darwin, down to Alice Springs, then the plan will evolve, with several options in discussion already!
    Looking forward to seeing plenty of friendly faces along the way:)

Chris and Kate

2. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Don't miss cactus beach yeah? Crazy old bugger running it is a tightarse but it's unmissable otherwise.

The other unmissable one is just stopping anywhere on the nulla and camping. enjoy guys, nicely done!

3. JayBone

JayBone Member

Hey Guys,

We are heading the other way, might see you somwhere, we will be in Darwin in July, you?

Jon, Karen and Bella (our puppy)

4. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Funnily enough, we are thinking of July(ish) for Darwin. We are probably going to leave the bus and the pups (Bear and Molly) while we go work for a month, so could be around June/July/August with a 4 week gap in there somewhere. Hope we do cross paths at some point.
    Cheers.

Hey Dingo, we are going to Cactus for sure, also decided on a slow crossing with plenty of exploring, so have no idea where we will camp yet, but looking forward to wherever it may be...
    Only disappointing thing is missing the Bus Stop :(

5. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

Try to get a round of golf in as you cross the Nullarbor.
    Even if you don't play normally it has to be worth the bragging rights. :)
    I agree with Dingo, Cactus is worth going too.

http://www.nullarborlinks.com/

6. jobell

jobell Active Member

I'm aiming for Darwin at the end of July... hope to cross paths with all of you!

7. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Have a fab time, you two. My dear old dad drove back and forth across the Nullabor as a young fella in the 60's and he always said it was the best fun he'd ever had. :)

8. greenbay

greenbay New Member

There is still time to turn around and make your way to Narooma,if you do i promise to shout you both a beer and an easter egg each :)

9. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Thanks Jay - you're a honey, but can't - we've got about 4,357 teenage girls looking forward to Jonah (15) being at the Blues Fest. Don't know how he'll cope!!

10. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

The nullarbor crossing is awesome. Well, the one I did two months ago was.... :cool:

As dingo says, just camping out there and waking up and going for a walk along the cliffs is awesome. However care must be taken as I was inundated by a mouse plague at one spot, drove 50 odd k's about 3 in the morning after being unable to sleep any more and tried another spot which turned out to be rodent free and restful. But even better, it didn't have a sheer cliff, and you could walk down to the beach, as I discovered when the sun came up. I think the good one was 25k east of border village, the mousy one 81k east.

I have CAMPS5. I see CAMPS6 is out. It's worth having if you don't already.

Don't be afraid if you go a bit too slow in the Ceduna to Eucla section as once you climb the range at Madura pass there is 1000k of Mallee scrub, all of which looks the same.

The coast from Esperance to Perth is great. My best tip is to get off the highway ASAP. Some great beaches abound, pity about the 4wd's on them. The beach just west of Duke of Orleans bay has the second best sand ever (behind Whitehaven). Denmark is really cool. Munglinup beach was good and so far away from civilization it gets bonus points. Cheyne's beach is beautiful with a laid back caravan park with obligitary tame kangas and lizards.
    Margaret river area is a bit more commercial and crowded, but you can camp just about anywhere as the council doesn't pay the rangers to work at night - squillions of backpackers in wickeds have sussed this out. Also two fantastic lighthouses to see here. Augusta is good and laid back.

I am currently doing that wierd thing called work over here, but get out in the Kombi for a different adventure every weekend, if you are near Perth and feel like talking Kombis and travel over a quiet beverage, yell out (or PM may be more effective).

Here is a photo of a Kombi in the Nullarbor to whet the appetite
    [​IMG]

It's amazing the impact this small area of land has on the national psyche. You only go through about 25k of true Nullarbor Plain, yet we all call the whole 5000k trip as "crossing the Nullarbor". I'm thinking that we need a thread on Kombi spotting called "Kombis on the Nullarbor" and make it compulsory to take a photo as you cross. I just wish I had a really good camera with a wide angle lens to do it justice.

I hope you get a good sou'easterly to cool thinks down and help you across.