1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Number Plates

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Hicksy, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Thanks ,I just sent them a message asking to change the format to 90DOKA.

2. Barney Barndoor

Barney Barndoor Active Member

No worries mate good one, was yours the Doka at Old Bar

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  3. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

No mine is still with its owner in Melbourne, I pick it up in 11:00am to morrow, getting excited. Will drive it back to Gosford Mon/Tue via Canberra.

4. Barney Barndoor

Phil that is one Kombi I haven't owned & would love to find one oneday, send us a pic with with it's current number plate please on your journey back..

Have fun driving back mate....Awesome..

5. Barney Barndoor

Hoodoo Gurus "666" Number Plates on my 23 Window Deluxe,
    Here's the Story....enjoy...

The Legendary Aussie Rock Band THE HOODOO GURUS were after a Split Windscreen Kombi with quote "Those opening front windscreens" back in 1993 for there new hit single "THE RIGHT TIME" which was to launch with there new album "CRANK".

After their agent contacted several VW Clubs for the whereabouts of the right vehicle. I then received a phone call.

I was offered a fair sum of Money back then $1600 for the use of my Kombi & accomodation, meals, etc was arranged, then I was faxed details were to meet for a 2 day film shoot. (no emails back then) ...I would of did it for free as I love the Gurus...

Location = Largs, NSW (A small town near Maitland)

The theme for the song was "LARGS STOCK" (mini version of Woodstock..)
    Set era 1969....

When my Girlfriend (now Wife) & I rolled into the town of Morpeth, NSW Early one Saturday Morning to meet the Film Crew & Band to their delight got more windows than they bargained for a whole 23 of them. They were very impressed to say the least & were all over my Kombi like a rash checking out the Safari's etc... Dave Faulkner frontman for the band loved the Kombi & he & the other Gurus were bloody good blokes to work with also...

Hoodoo Gurus Bass Guitarist Rick Grossman is doing the driving & Drummer Mark Kingsmill is the passenger in the following images I took with my new Minolta 7xi SLR camera at the time (35mm film back then no digital)

They had magnet murals made especially for the Kombi to suit the Woodstock period which said & pictured HG (for Hoodoo Gurus) over the front VW Badge, LSD, Trip, Death Cross Skulls, Smoking Skull with hat placed around the van...including the "666" Number Plates......
    They gave me the magnets after the shoot...

They also had a smoke machine they wanted to use as the story goes the Kombi breaks down on the way to "Largsstock" a field rock concert so I hooked up this smoke machine in the back they had & taped pipes up under the rear seat to heater outlet & removed the heater pipes underneath to force the smoke to come out from under the engine (see 0.48 into clip)

When they broke down & lifted the rear engine lid sctatching there head I said I have a good idea, the director was quite open to any good ideas.. I said seeing the Release Album will be called "Crank" & these guys have broken down, I have the original Kombi Crank Handle so lets show them trying to Crank start it with it, then pretend it doesn't start & throw the crank handle down on the ground in anger.... they loved the idea & it come across really well (see 2.05 into clip)

A Boy eventually shows up on a push bike with a tool kit, the Kombi gets fixed & then they head off to Largstock with the Boy & his Pushie hanging out the Deluxe Sunroof...

To see the Music Video go to the Youtube link below.
    The Hoodoo Gurus The Right Time

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO97T3RONmM

Great song & rock video, Awesome experience which I will never forget....

Enjoy !!!!!!!!!

Barney Barndoor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Barney Barndoor

7. so cool......love the hoodoos, can believe it was that long ago though.

I have VLK55Y on my beetle says volksie to me.

8. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Wow!! I didn't put 2 and 2 together and realise that was your bus in the Gurus film clip!! I know those roads all too well.

9. tomar

tomar Member

photo.jpg . Just installed today . Tom

10. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

Hey Barney......That was just the best 10 mins I spent this week.......So very grateful.....thank you.!:cool:
    JD in nostalgic Adelaide

11. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

12. Barney Barndoor

Thanks JD glad you enjoyed it mate... looks like you had a good time at ReVOLKS...
    Mate I will be in Adelaide for my sister in laws wedding on 23rd Nov & Volksfest happens to be on the 24th, I have a real good reason to come to Adelaide now... :)
    Will you be attending... looking forward to meeting you for a laugh & a chat & meet other SA Kombi-ists...

Cheers Simon....

Barney Barndoor

13. Barney Barndoor

Mark good stuff mate, thank for sharing, always good to see a Kombi in the spotlight....& while on the subject your number plate on the clip was "ULURU"

cheers Barney

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  14. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Barney, that is awesome mate! Great song, great clip... brilliant Kombi! Your stories keep on impressing.

Mark, I had no idea your Kombi had that claim to fame. My Pop used to love John Williamson and every time I hear one of his songs it reminds me of Pop but now having seen a Kombi in the clip... well that is splendid!:)

Chrissy.

15. 1975 Westfalia

1975 Westfalia Member

My plate is
    KOMBI 5
    as there were five of us at the time, and Otto's a 1975 kombi.

Maybe see you at Volksfest, Simon? Will you have your Kombi with you?

Ruth

16. oceanrunner76

oceanrunner76 Member

great story barney. what a fantastic experience.

im hoping to replace my rego plate "CEH76" to something more VW related. at the moment i have 04' caravelle. so need something personal to my name and VW. only thing i can think of is "CEH VW" then i realise how expensive that is. Might have to stick with my original but different colours. Unless someone come up with one. :cool:

17. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

Hey Simon,
    Have never done anything local and only slipped into the social quicksand of Kombi Club by complete accident.....not really a " show and tell" sort of person but find myself enjoying the company of other air cooled eccentrics. Baron von Bierdoc-hoffen is piloting the scarlett pimpernel over with his " Flying Circus....and your own good self compells me to revisit that abstinence....so quite possibly I will seek you out. You cant miss me....I am the classic ".. thinking womans .." sex symbol....elderly..overweight..balding and ..sweaty.
    Which one of your antiques are coming over or will you be smart and fly over?
    JD in Adelaide:cool:

18. Barney Barndoor

JD as you do I also enjoy the company of what you call "other air cooled eccentrics" & is why I am compelled to fly over my smart Antique VW minded similar body in seeking your above advertised classic good self standing out among the others that also feel compelled to associate themselves to the magnetism of VW sheet metal & chitter chatter at Volksfest.

See you in Adelaide JD :cool:....

Simon

19. Barney Barndoor

Hi Ruth,

Great number plate for Otto...

"KOMBI 5" would suit me too as I have 5 kids...

Hope to see you 5 in Otto at Volksfest.....

My '56 Kombi named "BEN" is still under resto so just me attending...

Cheers

Simon

20. kombivan

kombivan New Member

ZBV 412 suit me
    ZeeBonkingVan 4+1+2

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013