1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

odd clunking sound from the rear

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by BrissyGeorge, May 22, 2018.

1. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

David H,

The CV joints came as a kit - CV joint, boot, bolts with washers, circlip and a tube of grease - black stuff - maybe lithium based. I worked most of it into the joint and squirted what was left into the boot. I think there was 90g in the tube.

bern and David H like this.
  2. lachie

lachie Member

well done David. Me thinking Guitars again!
    mileage was also 1000km before sudden failure

3. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

Just to finish this thread - as I said, I took a punt on the clunk being at least one of the CV joints so I replaced them all. After driving for a couple of weeks- clunk gone.

So....a clunking from the back - go for a CV although I`m not sure how you narrow it down to the exact CV. Maybe the logic could be that if one has gone it is an indicator that it may be time for them all.

Wayne murray likes this.
  4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, false economy to just replace one.....do em all at the same time and use Lobros, nothing else.
    Great outcome.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Mordred likes this.
  5. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

A CV knock can often be temporarily fixed by jacking the offending side and spinning the wheel and shuffling the axle. Distributes the grease back into the joint. The hoon method is to go to a large flat area and do a few circles on full lock. The lean on the van changes to axle angles and re-distributes the grease.
    If these fixes stop the knock my first option would be to re-grease. Dry CV's complain a lot. Have done 1000's of K's after a noisy CV was placated with a bit of black sticky CV grease. Obviously boots MUST be in good nick.

David H likes this.
  6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Totally agree with Alpal:cool: & I don't mind hooning:D.

& to add to the thread at half cycle of CV's I would get them swapped from one side to the other (tend to wear just part of the track...think about this:p & how to swap) & regreased & any sus boots replaced. Doubled the mileage to over 240,k/set:D.
    To narrow down which one.... do circles in a cul-de-sac in both directions at various speeds (not too fast;)). Most wear is to LHS (outer most susceptible) as more bumps on that side of the road.
    Cheers