1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odometer Rewind?

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Dubman, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

I know the old bodgy car yard trick of using a drill but is there a safer (less likely to chew out the centre hole) way of reseting the odometer, mine isn't the original from the car I would like to reset it to match up with cars purchase and engine addition.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  2. Camerz

Camerz New Member

hmm i was going to say just drive 100,000 kms and your car will have magically become brand new! and wont have driven anywhere.i did worked a treat, ahh im pretty sure its illegal but im not gonna judge?

3. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Yes, it is definitely illegal - and if the kombi is sold, the seller would also be in breech of various trade practices and fraud laws/regulations. So it may be best that you don't do a follow-up post on how you did it.... ;)

4. Camerz

Camerz New Member

infact im 100% sure its illegal to even have a different odometer in the car? although i know of various people that may or may not have the exact same set up
    ;)

5. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Its only illegal to replace a speedo/odometer if its done to fool potential buyers into believing it has done less k's. It's dangerous to drive around with a malfunctioning speedo and better to have a working speedo with the wrong reading....
    Cop's would frown upon you altering your odometer reading to suit you purchasing the vehicle or replacing engines etc though, but in saying that I'm sure they've got better things to do than check on the odometer reading of every 30y old bus they pull over. So I guess if your gonna do it, keep it between you and your kombi!

6. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

I once replaced the instrument cluster in my old VN commodore cos the speedo didn't work, anyway got a 2nd hand cluster from the wreckers and it had about 75,000klms less than my original, got it registered with no hassles.

7. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

We all know its illegal, but if you plan to keep the bus like say forever, then what the heck change it, if thats what you want. but to be honest its only numbers on your clock and dont really mean that much. it has prolly been around already anyway. :lol:

8. dan_b

dan_b Member

im sure all our buses have done under 100,000km havent they? ;)

9. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Only if the speedo is connected ;)

10. dan_b

dan_b Member

true mr ward.

11. kombidaze

kombidaze Member

i did mine with a drill,did it no harm, set it back to all 0's now its easy to remember oil changes
    gosh imagine selling a kombi with only let us say 54000 original kilometers now who would believe that???
    john

12. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

How much more expensive would it have been for them to add an extra digit?

13. dan_b

dan_b Member

they probley never expected them to go round the clock :)

14. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

or maybe they could not count that far. :lol:

15. kombimatt

kombimatt Active Member

Das Dubber has just done is on his mate's 'Isla' resto, even proudly showed it in a pic. If it is good enough for Das it is good enough for me.

As stated as long as it is not done to deceive then no probs especially when a bus has been resto'ed and has a shiny new or rebuilt motor. I think it is only fair to zero off! Recognises a new beginning in my opinion. Most of these resto'ed buses probably have had their instrument clusters refurbed or replaced anyway!

16. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I know a few people have melted the gears by putting a drill on it. The metric speedos have very weak plastic gears so if you do it don't go too fast. How many kms do you need to add x speed = how long? You may get a surprise.:eek:

17. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

thats one of the reasons is wanted to do it, not to be dodgy but to kept milage servoces etc etc logged, speedo/odometer is not the original from the car anyways so come blue slip time hope its all okay? (3weeks to go)

18. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Mileage is not a factor for blue slip or registration.
    Unless you went for a pink slip one year and then went for one the next year with 100,000 less klms.

19. dbs

dbs Member

mine has done 64k .... even have the service book to prove it,.... :umm: or did they just stop getting it serviced :(
    That would explain why it had an engine and auto rebuild.

On a serious note: engines of that decade were only ever expected to last 100,000 miles if they were looked after and not thrashed. So why waste effort on another digit. You'd park it in the paddock as a chook shed by then.
    :lol:

If anyone asks if you reset your clock, just say "no officer, it has just clicked over another 100k"
    :D

20. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

If your pulled over in a 30 odd year old car, the least of your worries is going to be the mileage I think.