Off he Tows

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by BUS_TER, Jan 18, 2018.

1. BUS_TER

BUS_TER Member

Was told to post some pics of my pride an joy. Doesn't look that much chop yet but he's my buddy. Bought him a bit over a year ago and we have had some good trips. A couple to Broken Hill and the final one was to Byron Bay for our annual Bluesfest trip.

I say final as after I hydro-locked the engine and got him back up and running, I must have blown the head gasket, but he made the trip up to Byron no worries, but the CV joints went on the way back, made it as far as Newcastle.

Had new joints put in but inferior bolts were used and after the 1000Klm trip back to Melbourne I was told by the mechanic he had found the heads of said bolts on his shop floor. Nice!!!

After having them replaced by my mechanic I was on the way home until on top of the Westgate, plumes of steam pouring out my vents. Yay for me and Buster!!

So on the 5th of Feb of he tows to an engine rebuild and I am counting the days before we are back on the road.
    We have big plans Buster and I. Selling my Jeep to tip some money into a makeover worthy of my buddy.

Glad to have found this forum as I have already picked up useful info and look forward to events, clubs and guidance.

When someone else owned him.
    iphone_21-10-2016 793.JPG

Me and me mate Buster first day home.
    iphone_21-10-2016 797.jpg

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Nice.................rather partial to T3 caravelles :)

BUS_TER and Syncro27 like this.
  3. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Looks very well looked after....shame about the motor.

When you say you hydro-locked it - did you drive it through water and have water flood the cylinders? That often bends valves and fatigues the crank shaft so Im surprised you got it running again.

VW donks are tough buggers!...sometimes.

4. BUS_TER

BUS_TER Member

Nah nothing as exciting as that, I over filled it with oil and then turned it over until it locked up. Immediately dropped the oil, removed plugs and manually cranked him over a couple of times until oil started spurting out the spark plug housings. Once I'd done a compression test, filled him up with "the right amount of oil" and got the engine running I thought I might have pushed a lot of the excess through the exhaust manifold as I consumed the neighbourhood in white smoke. I waited until dark to drive it on the freeway, took about 50klms before the residual oil had burnt away from the exhaust system.

But I think the damage had been done and Im assuming that will have been the cause of the gasket failure even if it did take another 2-3000Klms to finally go. Not my finest mechanical hours, but as a novice tinkerer it was an important learning curve.

5. BUS_TER

BUS_TER Member

Oh yeah and since the gasket has gone and I have coolant now leaking out, Ive discovered that green coolant is a big No No! Apparently the phosphate corrodes the head. So the owner before me had been running that for who knows how long. Something I will not be doing after the rebuild.

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Experience is often the biggest teacher for many of us:D
    Once done it should give quite a few years good service.

David H, Syncro27 and BUS_TER like this.
  7. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Welcome aboard! Love the Gold Caravelle's (same colour as mine)
    Am sure we can all share stories like that as we learn.
    They are great bus's, as long as you remember they are getting on in age and need some extra TLC to keep on the road you will get years of enjoyment out of them.
    :)

8. Syncro27

A mate of mine from school days spent a day with his Dad at his mechanical workshop in Sydney - worked on lots of Mustangs and performance cars but also did routine services as all mechanics do for bread and butter money.

Anyway, my mate was asked to fill up an engine with oil after the old oil had been drained and a new filter installed....He took that literally until oil started pouring out the carby and airfilter. He asked has Dad if that was normal???

Anyway - lets say he never became a mechanic and his Dad was forever disappointed that he had a son with zero mechanical skills - he became an Actuary instead - more money there anyway!

David H and BUS_TER like this.
  9. BUS_TER

BUS_TER Member

I cant help but laugh when I tell people Im a mechanical draftsman and they start asking me questions about their cars.

Syncro27 and David H like this.
  10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

At least that will be helpful working out the stresses for your bullbar :)

11. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Air cooled guy here but make coolant red! The T3 guys have taught me:D.
    Cheers

BUS_TER likes this.
  12. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Not red.....we’ve had the plebiscite...

And it’s either Pink or original Blue. ;)

Aircooled guys just need the non coloured H2O, minus the “H”.......

wombatventures and BUS_TER like this.
  13. David H

David H Well-Known Member

A great outcome from the plebiscite:D:D. Neither Pink nor Blue:p.
    Cheers

Grantus likes this.
  14. Syncro27

I still like the Nulon red.

Has done well for me for the last 5 years.

Had an engine stripped down after using it for 3 years (after replacing the green coolant - sin) and there was no corrosion damage.

David H likes this.
  15. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

depending on your eyes, the Nulon stuff could be seen as either red or pink :)

David H and Syncro27 like this.
  16. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

.....nah, we prefer the amber, bubbly type coolants :rolleyes:...they're all we need.
    Cheers,
    Mark

17. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I was referring to the vehicle....not the pilot! ;)

Pilot cooling is probably similar across the aircooled and water cooled genre, and quite varied, depending upon individual taste....:rolleyes:

David H likes this.
  18. BUS_TER

BUS_TER Member

I've found that neat Chivas will raise the internal temperature giving a cooling effect in warmer environments.

Syncro27 likes this.