1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil “buzzer of doom”

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Nickpotts, May 30, 2020.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Agreed. Taking the chip out from behind the speedo, WITHOUT damaging the fragile blue printed circuit ribbon, would take a lot longer.

Replacing the very reliable chip, would be last on my list, only after replacing any aged wiring, replacing the sensors, and getting the oil pressure checked.

Barry likes this.
  2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

The trick is to bend over the prong on the circuit board so the buzzer no longer works. Yes it stops the buzzer but one should wonder why people dont fix the problem that the buzzer is trying to tell you exists.
    In this case simply a case of broken wires.

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Isn’t it easier to just run an earth wire from the body in the engine bay, to shut the buzzer up? Done that before, when tests showed the oil pressure is as it should be.

Temporary peace in the drivers seat, until the new sensors arrive, to then put the system back to the way it should be.

Syncro27 and Luckyphil like this.
  4. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Tooley Imports 94762888 carry good parts for most VW have the switches in stock and will freight parts to you any time.

oldman, rowansnow and Barry like this.
  5. Gezzat3

Gezzat3 New Member

Had exactly the same issue after doing some work wiring in driving lights . The plug connection into the dash was the problem. I tested the oil pressure switch x2 with a light at the connection near the engine and they both worked so good oil pressure..whew

6. rowansnow

rowansnow Member

Update:
    Wiring Replaced. Still getting the Warning light...
    Switches replaced. Now no problems.
    Just for the record!

7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Happy ending

8. kimosabi

kimosabi Active Member

No buzzer on my T3.. But the day I picked it up after about a 1/2 hour of driving when going up a long hill the oil light came on.
    I pulled over and went round the back.. there was a bit of a death rattle so I turned of the motor. Checked the oil, maybe down
    to the 2nd mark on the dipstick. 10 minutes later I restarted the motor.. all good, no red light ( only at idle) and motor sounded fine.
    I drove the rest of the trip - another 1/2 hour at about 90k and all good. Got to my mechanic and he said motor sounded fine.
    I got him to change the oil and fit a quality filter ( old one was a Ryco) so hoping next long run I dont have the problem again.
    Question: what speed can I sit on with a 1.9 fuel injected Wasserboxer with a 5 speed box..? the speedo was reading slow and my follow up car driver said I was initially sitting on 100kph when I had the problem.

9. Maccas

Maccas Active Member

That portion of the wiring harness that connects the oil pressure switch below the drive pulley is subject to enormous engine heat over 30 years and so by now highly degraded so in urgent need of replacement to regain reliability. Source of correct replacement is here:
    https://www.gowesty.com/product/electrical-electronic/4032/oil-pressure-switch-harness?v=

GoWesty stocks a reduced length socket that better fits the limited space to R&R the switch:
    https://www.gowesty.com/product/tools/24286/oil-pressure-switch-socket-tool?v=

GoWesty also stock both high and low oil pressure switches.

I've experienced the blinking red dash light come on after extended time working the motor hard in 1, 2 & 3rd gears (long uphill grind etc). Though after returning to normal 4th gear driving, no more blinking red light.

Also if its a high kilometre motor, might need to think about a change to oil selection. How many klms has the motor done since original or rebuild?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  10. kimosabi

kimosabi Active Member

Thanks Maccas.. Speedo has stopped, I get the impression from the previous owner it's done about 290k.
    Bottom end is original, top end has re-built heads.
    The fact it sounded so bad.. like a big end knock was obviously of concern so I'm surprised it went away.
    At least the oil light came on when things were in a bad way so the oil pressure switch is telling it as it is.