Oil breather box installation

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by SurfWagen, Jun 29, 2017.

1. SurfWagen

SurfWagen New Member

hi, can anyone help me on a oil breather box installation. I have bought and Empi kit, i believe i have to drill holes in the rocker covers, do i need to drain the oil before removing them and will i need replacement gaskets as the engine was only rebuilt/enhanced 10 months ago, is the installation a difficult job? Mark

2. SurfWagen

SurfWagen New Member

Oh, type 4 engine 1975 kombi!!

3. merrymike

merrymike New Member

Type 4 in stock configuration doesn't have breather pipes on the rocker covers - only the crankcase breather (sometimes called a PCV) situated on the top of the engine.

All you need to do is hook the box up to the breather pipe on the top of the engine and then run a pipe from the box to one of your carbs. The hose from the breather should have no low points in it where oil can collect and block up the pipe.

What carbs are you running? I have twin Weber 40IDFs and my mechanic tapped a fitting to the lid of the right hand one. It doesn't do much, just provides a little negative pressure to draw the crankcase gases through the breather box and burn them in the engine. The box just catches the heavier oil particles and stops them gumming up the carby.

4. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

My understanding is that breathers on rockers are for high performance engines only. If you still want to do it then you will need to remove rocker covers for drilling and fitting of pipe fittings. Will make tappet adjustment more tedious in the future!! I do not replace gaskets every time I pull rocker covers. Just need to check down the road after you re-install rocker covers to ensure not dropping oil. New or old gaskets! Always have new ones just in case they are needed..

David H likes this.
  5. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

When I rebuilt my engine (2L type 4) I sourced NOS heads, they had fittings in them breathing the valve area. This was factory, the hood up was both heads (valve area) connects to the air cleaner, the case breather to the inlet. I assume to create some air flow through the case.