Oil leaking around Cylinder to block

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by darren102, Apr 24, 2013.

1. darren102

darren102 New Member

Hi guys i have just my 1976 kombi on the road ,it has been sitting for the past 5 years and now driving it i have noticed Oil leaking around the cylinder block and the heads, do they have gaskets ? Every time i pull up i have the size of two 50 cent peaces of oil under the van
    Any quick fix, as ninbin martigrass is come up very soon.
    Many thanks

2. wobneb

wobneb Member

no head gaskets mate, try retensioning your heads asits pretty common for them to come loose... if you need specs shout out... if not it could be pushrod seals or possibly leaking elsewhere.

3. syncro

syncro Active Member

There is not really any oil in that area. Usually it is push rod tube seals.

4. Greg N

Greg N Member

I agree with above, I was also thinking it could be your oil cooler seals. Best to give the engine a good degrease and this should help locate the oil leak

Cheers

Greg

5. darren102

darren102 New Member

hi guys thanks for the info
    i have cleaned it spotless, i have also checked where the block meets together, clean! Im definite its coming from around the cylinders on the right hand side
    but will look into further, but i might retention the heads i think

6. Weekender

Weekender Member

Darren

If you are thinking of retensioning the heads ensure you follow the torgue seqences and have a tension wrench that you are clear when the tension is reached. In the event it doesn't reach the tension, the head bolt is stripping out of the case. If that happens, well a big job is ahead.....

7. wobneb

wobneb Member

agree with everyone!! if retensioning go by the right specs and try not to use a dodgy torque wrench! it has happened to mine also it was about three quaters of a turn from been torqued so yeah just be carefull hey!! if you need a hand with anything just shout out.

8. syncro

syncro Active Member

I can't really see how that could fix an oil leak???????
    There is (or should) not be any oil in the top of the cylinder or the combustion chamber of the head.
    The only oil there is in the pushrod tubes and the rocker cover.

9. darren102

darren102 New Member

hi thanks for the info
    I have a a genuine workshop manual to refer to with the settings and sequence ,Once again have cleaned it twice and removed the blower cover and i can see it coming out, but when its at running temp it stops, when you shut it down a little oil comes out again, thats why i did a post because i didnt think oil could come out there?? beats me ! The weekend will tell the story

10. ian.mezz

ian.mezz New Member

yep see it all the time, normally on old worn VW engines, oil around between heads and barrells.
    hopefully its not that and it just the cheaper pushrods seal repair.

11. darren102

darren102 New Member

Yep its old and worn i think, but otherwise it does miss a beet! I dont have much history on the engine all i got told that the valves were done to run on unleaded, but its still is the original engine

12. syncro

syncro Active Member

The valves were for unleaded when it left the factory. There is no other kind of valves.

13. kombivan

kombivan New Member

push rod tubes, rocker cover, oil cooler, oil pump.

14. ian.mezz

ian.mezz New Member

Also have a look at the oil presure switch .

15. Sopruman

Sopruman New Member

All type 4 engines came from the factory with a steel shim type head gasket and when the engine gets old and worn, oil that leaks past the rings starts to leak between the head and barrell. Just about every engine I have stripped for a rebuild leaked at this spot. The most important thing to remember is if/when you decide to repair or recon your engine, get your heads flycut (machined) where the barrell sits and lap the new barrells in for a perfect seal. Using the origional head gaskets after this is done is optional. I personally don't use them in any engine I build however I make sure the compression ratio and valve geometry is correct. It's up to you. The Spanish AMC heads don't need the head gasket as they have a decompression lip machined into them.