1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Light somtimes when driving?

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by karstan, Nov 18, 2008.

1. karstan

karstan Member

ok iv just done a trip from newcastle to lithgow and back and i found when iv been driving say at 55m/h for a while and then i put it in neutral and roll down a hill the OIL light comes on what does that mean....then on the way back to newcastle today it didnt happen at all...there is plenty of oild in it and the temp guage was reading about 100 or so..

should i be worried....

and what does this gauge mean? no oil ? but there is oil.

2. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

Rolling down hills in "angel gear" means that your fan has slowed down to idle speed.
    Without a fast fan you have minimal cooling, not a good idea!
    Kombi engines generally don't like to go slowly. If the cooling tin and seals are in place the engine needs to drive the fan in order to stay cool.
    Coast down hill = 75 cents of fuel saved, but pull engine next Thursday to replace exhaust valves.
    Cost? ................. more than 75 cents!

Only my opinion mate.
    When oil lights come on you have minimal or no oil pressure. That ain't good!

Compression check when you can. Check oil levels every time you've been stopped for more than 10 minutes. Are you using or losing oil? Is your pressure gauge faulty?
    Oil quality? Bad oils ain't oils they're somethin' else! They will not cool your engine properly.

Air cooled engines like to run fast, don't let them lug or run them in "angel gear".

Again, only my opinion mate, but if your oil light comes on it's time to check some basic parameters.

A' the best,

Ray & da Boyz

3. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Ray,

What about when the oil light doesn't come on when you turn the ignition on? This happens to Janie only intermittently. Everything looks OK and she still runs fine.

Baz

4. karstan

karstan Member

hmm

well arnt i stupid....i thort this might help the engine as it wouldnt be crating more heat..hahah shows how much i dont know and how much i can learn...no angel gear ...done!!

thanks

ill get onto the mech for the light thingo...

5. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Isnt the word on the street that angel gear is okay, but keep the revs up to force some air around. I never saw the point, personally, if you're going to spin the engine may as well get some forward motion for your money.

6. karstan

karstan Member

its nice to hear silance when rolling 80m/h down a huge hill...for once i kept up with traffic.

but no more.

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Oil pressure switch is sticking. Replace it before it fails as it is a cheap 5 minute job.

8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

It means that there is no pressure.

What brand of filter do you have?
    What oil are you using?

9. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Thanks Phil,

I meant to mention it to Steve when I took it there last but I forgot. I'll get on to it. Damn! I was in Classic V Dub today too, to pick up a fan belt (just in case I need one)!

Baz

10. gsa2at

gsa2at New Member

when the engine is close to stall the oil light comes on
    if you run in neutral with poor tuning or a hot engine then you may come close to stall then the light will come on

11. Joel

Joel New Member

the oil light flickering at idle when nice and hot is just a sign that either the engine is just starting to get abit long in the the tooth or a thicker oil is needed
    when was ur last oil change done?

100 is a good running temp but thats providing its an accurate reading
    where abouts is the temp sender located?
    cos in the sump plate doesnt give an accurate reading