1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil pressure and temp gauges

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Schnidlee, Nov 10, 2008.

1. deger

deger Active Member

Kai, I think that you might be onto something. I think that the sender is expecting a different range than the gauge hence the reason it's showing a low reading.

2. deger

deger Active Member

Kai, after looking at some stuff at DOTVW, I think that the sender and the gauge aren't matched.

I noticed on the JK site that there are two types of oil temp sensors, dipstick like the one I have and the sump one (although it doesn't look like there is a sump model for the 2l motors). What are people's preference for either of these options for a 2l motor ?

3. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

I have the dipstick sender - there's lots of theories about it not being in the right spot to get the correct temp, but in my opinion, it's not really about what your actual temp is - it's about showing what's normal and what's not. As long as it shows you when your normal engine temp has gone up 20-30 degrees for some reason, then you at least know to pull over and let your engine cool down and find out why it's getting hot.

Trust me, I have some experience with engine temps! ;)

4. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

5. deger

deger Active Member

Kai, how does this one differ from the one at JK? The samba one talks about replacing the inspection plate. Is that what the JK one does too?

6. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

You need the sump sender inside the billet inspection plate replacement. You can not use the normal sump plug sender in a type 4 case (if it hasn't been stripped before) as it should be m12. the dipstick sender replaces your original dipstick but you need to keep your original dipstick for level checking. Alternatively you can drill a 14mm hole in your current inspection hatch and put a nut on the otherside and seal it with some JB Weld. that has been done before on the samba. I like the billet replacement because it protects the sender

Chidori likes this.
  7. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Or tap the case at #1 and run a 28NPT model. Both sender and wires are high up away from snags and dags. The VDO 28NPT sender is matched to the VDO 150 degree gauge.

Rocky likes this.
  8. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

tapping the case is beyond most hobbyists, this solution is just two allen key screws and a sender. all gauges should be used a a guide to look for abnormalities, ie if youre driving at 60kmh and your oil temp is normally 80-100 degrees and all of a sudden it is 130 degrees then there may be something wrong.

9. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

10. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

i second that

11. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

maintaining a kombi is against most hobbyists! - If they can use the allen keys and wiring and sort a gauge out, chances are they can drive a drill and tap....