1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Bar 2018

Discussion in 'NSW' started by wirrah, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

That’s what happens when you refuse to conform, and choose to park in an individual manner, 90 degrees different to everyone else! :p

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Quombi, David H and wirrah like this.
  2. Grantus

My Qld guests, just sent me some drone pics he took on Sunday.

They need reducing to post, and my first attempt threw them right out of focus.....:(

So I’ll try again tomorrow...

Quombi likes this.
  3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Or look like a shiny cargo container;). Parallel parked next to.
    Wirrah ...you should have seen the reflection from the other side with that container. Where is that photo? Just shows lots of body ripples:oops:.
    Cheers

Wayne murray likes this.
  4. David H

So I was lucky enough:( to get my first ride x4 in a T3 this weekend:confused:. The rear floor of Grantus's KBx2 (sorry I took your spot twice Carole) & the rear of JohnVW DOKA leaving the Bowling Club laying in the tray (thanks for the lift & the tray padding) & Nils (the gentleman;)) Westfalia whom offered me a seat & a seatbelt:D:D:cool:. So 3 floors & just one seat:(....maybe that's how they treat T2 drivers:(...Thanks Nils...you'll have a seat & belt in mine;):):D.)
    They do ride quite differently than a T2 & (don't say I said this) quieter & more solidly:(.
    May I get you guys on Old Boys comfort regime (the floor...oh you'll get a seat Nils;)) soon:p.
    Cheers

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Quombi and Grantus like this.
  5. Grantus

Lucky it wasn’t raining on Sat night, huh? :rolleyes:

At least my SC has a watertight tonneau for such occasions........;)

Quombi likes this.
  6. David H

Smoke would have kept the rain away. Heat causes the cloud to rise;).
    & the smoke would go ???? Asphyxiation:confused::(.

Cheers

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  7. Grantus

A few drone shots from Sunday:

262114A2-CB59-484C-9D2C-075B9D2DD923.jpeg

E921A50F-8791-4837-9DE8-ACA84F966F55.jpeg

F9F061BD-C2B2-45FE-9FB0-6E46003B163C.jpeg

8. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Another awesome Old Bar.
    Weather was great, if not a little windy and chilly at night.
    All the usual suspects were there and it was great to see first timers from last year, return enthusiastically!
    Fizal and crew pulled a rabbit out of their hat to get the amenities block 90% finished. Subcontractors let them down which is why it wasn’t 100% complete. I think most would agree that the new facilities are a huge improvement on the old. It was great not to have to limbo underneath a fixed height, needley cold shower for once !
    The cruise out to the freeway was great with lots of locals really getting into the kombi vibe waving madly at every bus.
    We didn’t park up on Sunday....returning home from Samoa on Wednesday, un packing and then packing the kombi, driving to Old Bar then setting up on Thursday, breaking camp for the cruise on Saturday, resetting camp Saturday evening just took its toll and we opted to stay put. We had to leave Monday morning and was just not up to a pack up/re set for Sunday night just to pack up again Monday morning.
    Great paddling with Scoob, Moe and Chuck, shame you were out of action Steve....

A big shout out to Andrew Daley- not a KC member- but a very knowledgeable VW mechanic and neighbour of ours, who helped more than a few members with their respective mechanical issues.
    (Some rectifying, supposedly reputable, engine builders rookie errors...... no gasket between the carb. and inlet manifold ......really...? :confused:
    Back home now and facing reality off the open road......final unpack, wash and clean the kombi after another faultless run.
    To those I didn’t catch up with, my apologies...... I’m still feeling a little lost after our month of losses.
    To those I did catch.....many thanks for your empathy and understanding .
    We are truly blessed to be part of this wonderful community that is Kombi Club.
    Roll on Mallacoota!
    Cheers,
    Mark

milly, TeeBee, Ninga and 8 others like this.
  9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a great time had by all :D ...... thanks for the pictures :cool:;)

10. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

11. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

A big shout out to Andrew Daley- not a KC member- but a very knowledgeable VW mechanic and neighbour of ours, who helped more than a few members with their respective mechanical issues.
    (Some rectifying, supposedly reputable, engine builders rookie errors...... no gasket between the carb. and inlet manifold ......really...?

Yeah, thanks Andrew for doing that work on my carbie. Also Kai for the gasket an carby jets.
    It didnt fix the problem as when i stop it didnt start up.
    Let it cool down on the side of the road for a bit an used jumper leads to start.
    Pats diagnosis is carby died an possible starter motor as well.
    He drove the car all the rest of the way just pumping the excelerator pedal up an down for 2 hours to get home..
    We made it home though...cheers all great weekend

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2018
  12. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Apropos of @Grantus comment concerning snap shots. A little bit of cropping and minor rough adjustments on one of those "happy snaps".

grantus.jpg

13. Grantus

Well done Greg. :)

But you cropped out Nils’ rare Westfalia roof, featured in the pics. :p (I was riding on his back bumper to take the pics, as he moved along, so I was juggling framing as well as balance.;) )

Quombi and wirrah like this.
  14. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Great effort everyone. We are still ambling home (see our posts when I get to updating it!). We had a ball at our first Old Bar. Sorry we (especially me since I was chasing an 8 year old) didn’t get to catch up with you all. Especially my biggest fan David H! Hopefully we can do it again.

David H likes this.
  15. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Ah... Yes... But then I would have had to put a "Do not try this at home" disclaimer.

16. Grantus

It was”Filmed under controlled conditions, not on public roads”........;)

17. Grantus

I know this is not chronological, but I just found these pics of the northbound Komvoy on Friday, on another device:

CDC7827B-B6A2-4100-9CB6-9C59DA6C3828.jpeg

2F241800-4CF5-4A72-A680-006551D1BBB6.jpeg

776BD9C6-6085-4F51-9E5C-17A1B6EB8A9C.jpeg

73A3A6F5-7DB4-4C85-A24E-8CED2A6B0D2B.jpeg

68A8BE75-DC84-4883-9576-F660085B1696.jpeg

11940451-1FB2-4001-BDFC-50487D90133D.jpeg

David H, Ninga, Wayne murray and 2 others like this.
  18. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I have a few but the camera didnt get much use over the weekend. I did admire the size of Greg (Wirrah)'s camera - very impressive - no wonder his photos are so good.

What a fantastic weekend - weather forecasters - what would they know????

Here are a few from around the campsite, down the beach and on the oval.

Great chatting to everyone again and I still cant believe someone from the kombi club actually won the grand! - Congrats Scotty....

Max admiring the campsite:
    [​IMG]

Max got to have a few goes down the beach when the weather was nice and warm:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice lowie in the campground:
    [​IMG]

Some T3 youngsters camping in their favorite corner:
    [​IMG]

A nice 88 syncro still sporting its round headlights (which mine should have):
    [​IMG]

Had a boat builder as a previous Owner and hence the extra timber sliding door:
    [​IMG]

Another nice T3 on the oval:
    [​IMG]

Nice lowie on the oval:
    [​IMG]

Some interesting wildlife around - Chucky said he spotted an echidna but I spotted a couple of snakes - this deadly 2.5m long brown was a bit scary on the dirt track:
    [​IMG]

Another small red-bellied black snake in the corner of the camp ground (only a baby)
    [​IMG]

Nothing to worry about there - the brown was down the road and the black was in the far corner.

Some kombi maintenance works during the weekend:

Allanah and Chloe amongst others decorating this formerly white kombi camped next to us:
    [​IMG]

Chuckster overseeing some repairs to his engine in the campground:
    [​IMG]

Thats all from me - My whole family enjoyed the weekend - it was great again - especially as the campground is expanding into the air strip now - hopefully this will continue further next year so more punters get in.

TeeBee, nils, David H and 8 others like this.
  19. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

This one was broken down on the highway on Monday - loss of power, hot and oil everywhere underneath - had a strange exhaust set up. Nothing we could do and she was headed to Dubbo - my advice was call the NRMA and get it towed home and call sooner rather than later being a public holiday to get the ball rolling.

Syncro27 likes this.
  20. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Poor girl, she lives out near dubbo or there abouts.
    she was camped at the back of our spot and asked me to look at her vacum line for her brakes.
    When i opened up the engine hatch i was stunned. No tin ware or seals. Had a buggy exhaust on with the muffler inside the engine bay.
    The vacum line was tapped into the wrong part of the manifold. Two big holes cut out of the engine lid.
    I said i couldnt help her fix the vacuum issue but also pointed out things i could see wrong with the engine setup.
    She said it runs well an if it breaks down her friend who put the engine in would come an fix it.
    i was amazed she even made it to old bar.
    Hope she got home o.k.
    Cheers

David H and Syncro27 like this.