1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Bar 2019

Discussion in 'NSW' started by wirrah, Oct 6, 2019.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Thanks Kai:).
    I had the best weekend:D. Connecting with people, other KC members coming & connecting with me, connecting some parts for sale with their new owners & generally chatting all things kombi & checking out all the different ways folks do their buses. Bought some 304 stainless hubcaps (they won't be but at least they'll buff up nice with some Purple:p).
    Couldn't keep the smile off my face Sunday night:D:cool:. Best weekend.

My suggestion would be that KC members post their forum name on their windscreen to help identify them for a chat;).

Would loved to have had a chat with @polland but didn't tie the bus to the forum member:(. Old age & poor memory:confused:.

Cheers

Elsie 76, TeeBee, Jethro and 2 others like this.
  2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

11 years ago, a KC member started a thread to sorting a list of intended attendees prior to the event, and printed up name tags for each member, with their username & real name to wear on the day.

It worked really well, to connect with others, and easily then put “faces to usernames”. :rolleyes:

http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/who-would-like-a-name-tag.17874/#post-177386

3. David H

Reckon folks nowadays could just print one at home & blutac inside windscreen;).
    Cheers

Jethro and Mr Beckstar like this.
  4. Grantus

True......but that assumes that the owners will spend the whole day sitting by their bus, and not wander around to check out the other buses. o_O

Mr Beckstar and Aspudis like this.
  5. David H

At least they'd know where you were & come back later. @Sunnyboy did that as he wanted to introduce himself as did @Ian and Shelley :cool:. Or at least they could meet Lauren reading her book & she could call me;).
    Cheers

Jethro, Mr Beckstar and Aspudis like this.
  6. David H

For both of us;). You on the left or the right?
    Yeah being a little OCD l'm wondering if it's possible to get splits , bays & T3's (and those front wheel drive thingies:p...a good mate owns one so I'm just slinging off!) to take an area each on the airfield & then share 'year about' which 'leads' because it truly is a long Komvoy ....approx 13km & I see how it spreads. With interrupting traffic that 'must be allowed in' the front is almost back in town before the last one leaves:D.
    Your efforts were appreciated by me @Maccas:).
    I reckon with 3 volunteers post the Old Bar volunteers it's easily done to do the type grouping:eek:. Splitties to west side, Bays in the middle & T3's to east side. Your thoughts?
    Cheers

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Maccas, Jethro and Mr Beckstar like this.
  7. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Yes, was another great event, was nice to catch up with everyone! Though I only caught up with 1/2 the people I intended to!! (too many kombi's to look at :)

Would be nice to get all the same models together, but always difficult to achieve with everyone turning up at different times. Difficult to allow space for each model without creating large gaps everywhere.
    The cruise was fantastic, great to see the whole community involved!

Yes, some way to identify members would be great!! I'm sure I walked past a heap of people I've posted to but do not know!

Syncro's!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  8. David H

I'm with you Andy. I got to half the people I wanted to meet but that's a good score for me;).
    So much space to get models together. Splay splitties down the west side, splay T3's down the east side & run T2' in a snake up the middle:). Oh & we'll put the 4's & 5's somewhere! Hopefully catch you at the next one. We're booked:D!
    Cheers

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Mr Beckstar likes this.
  9. Grantus

The KC T3 Brotherhood, are kind of fond of “T3 Island”, (where we usually get banished too). ;)

Mr Beckstar and Syncro27 like this.
  10. David H

Well you'll be an Island on the east side like T3's normally do;). Or at least have for the 3 years I've gone.
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  11. Grantus

Well it used to be in the early days. :rolleyes:

But with climate change, and rising bay levels, T3 Island often gets swamped lately....o_O

Mr Beckstar, oldman and Jethro like this.
  12. David H

I'd say that's rising T3 levels by this years attendance;). You'd have been 'over the moon' :D & you let the team down:(!
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  13. Grantus

I try and attend at least every second year, if I can’t make it every year, since 2008. :oops:

Slotting it in the diary for 2020. ;)

Mr Beckstar and Jethro like this.
  14. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I had a great time as did my girls....and Allanah got rock star treatment during the cruise with her Learners plates on...but Max got rockstar treatment all weekend - by kids and adults alike. Hard life being a cute fluffy dog!

Allanah and her first VW cruise on her L's:
    [​IMG]

Sienna and I had Max for ourselves on sunny and warm Thursday and Friday - Then the weather went a bit yuk... Not enough to cause any issues though
    [​IMG]

Sienna won her age group in the Sunday morning 5km cross country run.
    [​IMG]

Our massive complex at Lanis
    [​IMG]

Maxi had a big fan with a young lass at the end of our street:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fun game of Bocci on Monday arvo too.

Old Bar weekend is the best!

Forgot to add Maxi at the cook up on Monday night getting a bit close to the table:
    [​IMG]

And this little bugger I got off Maxi's tail:

Nasty creatures....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Mr Beckstar, Maccas, wirrah and 8 others like this.
  15. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Another wonderful Old Bar has come and gone again - too quickly! This was my 14th Old Bar but this time my son and grand daughter came and stayed with us in the 75 Bay. She had a great time and loved sleeping in the kombi each night. If anyone walked near the 75, she took great delight in saying hello to them and asking them out of Little Red and the Bay, which one did they think were the oldest - she doesn't understand why the oldest looks newer than the Bay - she invited kids to jump into the Bay and she had a ball! Now back to work tomorrow... I wish I could retire... :(

Mr Beckstar, TeeBee, David H and 5 others like this.
  16. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Fav picture is of Max and his young fan :):):cool::D

17. David H

I'll put my hand up as I reckon it would make it better & I agree oldest to youngest & a sign is probably needed;).
    Don't reckon the cruise could ever be done without interruptions without road closure & that can't happen.
    Thanks for your thoughts:).
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  18. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Well, back home now and nearly at the last of the un-packing/washing/re-packing the kombi.....
    Another brilliant Old Bar long weekend.
    We cruised in on Thursday and left Tuesday....eventually!
    Weather was great even with the bit of rain that fell - it didn't last long and certainly helped take the edge off the heat.
    Caught up with a number of folks but certainly missed many. The idea of the KC banner up behind a shade shelter didn't materialise as the organisers had us in a different position to other years.
    Lanis was buzzing with first timers that had camped on the airstrip....Fizal was saying that the wait-list to get into Lanis (proper) is now at a record length.
    As always, we booked our site for next year on departure.....I reckon you're crazy not to.
    With regard to (trying) to organise the cruise differently or making KC members more visible, I reckon leave it as is..........
    If folks want to meet, it really isn't that hard to organise before the event...ie lets meet at the JK stall at 10:00 am, bring a name tag (if you want)....just saying ;)
    Many like to fly below the radar and do not necessarily want to be recognised at 100 paces......I'm one of them !! :D....but easy enough to find if you really want to......
    Re- the cruise......gotta remember that Old Bar is NOT a KC event, nor is it really even a kombi event.......it's a Council run, Beach Festival to which kombis have been asked to attend......as part of the beach culture.
    Accordingly, there are many clubs that turn up as well as those that aren't in a VW club.
    The randomness of the cruise appeals to me.....Personally, I'd rather see a heap of kombis of all different shapes, sizes and colours all mixed up. The idea of seeing 50 splits then 50 bays then 50 T3's then 50 etc. seems waaaay to orchestrated for me.
    The locals that line the cruise route all have their favourites, as do we, and it's nice to see them light up when their favourite appears in amongst the masses.
    The Monday afternoon bocce tournament saw record numbers of participants......I think about 15-20 from (cloudy...) memory.
    Max created havoc by insisting on chewing the stick that marked the baulk line.....and it really didn't matter which end you were playing, max wanted part of the action......he's a very popular pooch, particularly with young Hannah, as pictured above in Scotty's post.....soo cute...
    Lyndan (spelling?) triumphed , which was nice as she had to see her bus tilt-trayed out of Lanis due to fuel leak issues.....hope it's sorted quickly.
    Fires were allowed from Saturday onwards as the total ban was lifted.......which just makes the weekend even better. You can solve ANY problem sitting around a fire, beer in hand !
    The days of Lanis cold showers are over as all the Amentities Block work has been completed......and yes, those shower heads are adjustable !!....they just don't look like it :rolleyes:
    Surf was average but managed a couple of fun sessions early before the winds kicked in.....
    Drove straight home, no traffic and no issues.,.....a great run back to reality.
    Cheers,
    Mark

19. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

And yet we still haven't met!

Grantus likes this.
  20. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

I know Greg, this really is getting silly !
    I must admit, I was keeping an eye out for Cockers ;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

wirrah likes this.