1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Bar Beach Festival 2013

Discussion in 'NSW' started by Barney Barndoor, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

* Brag post*

OK, how many others here, can claim that they've had Xavier Rudd in their Kombi for an hour long trip? :rolleyes:

Great guy, BTW. :)

2. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

Hi to everyone who was at Old Bar just gone and heard all about our woes with Goldie.
    We had the Electronic Control Unit(ECU) replaced and the original repaired. All is well. Thanks to everyone and their wishes.
    We hope to make the journey there again next year(....with a spare ECU).

3. Grantus

Was your ECU a Triumph Adler make, or a Bosch make?

Seen & experienced failures with the TA one, but had no problems to date with the Bosch model..... so just curious. :rolleyes:

4. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

Hi Grant, the original was a Triumph Adler(got that repaired) and the replacement was a Bosch.

5. heads up for next year......

if there are any troublesome T3's around, give us a yell as I have pretty much have a double up of everything engine electrical / fuel delivery related (2.1 watercooled) that I can lend you to get you motoring home again.

Cheers
    Brendan

6. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Hey Grantus, totally agree about Xavier being a great guy. A real idol of mine with amazing talent!

Mark, I hope the next production will be of The Bus Stop next year.
    PS. Thought you might have planned to call into T Town for a bit of trout fishing on your way to Griffith?:)

Gerry and Robyn, really glad Goldie's health has improved!

Chrissy.

7. venture4th

venture4th Member

<jaw drops> Dooooooood, how on earth did you swing that? I've got every one of XRs albums, would have been great to chew the fat and hear the background for some of the songs.

Ninga, fantastic job on the YouTube vid, have subscribed to your channel and will be on the lookout for you at OldBar2014. I've got both a heli-drone and GoPro which we can maybe use to collaborate on some low flying aerial views of the lineup. My 4yo and I got to Oldbar after the convoy, was sorry to have missed that part of it. Looks like fun..

8. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Hey Venture4th, thanks mate. The heli-drone sounds interesting! Most of the pics this year were taken by one of my sisters who was..... let's just say enjoying having a sober driver! :D So we thought they turned out pretty good considering! You will have to be there for the convoy next year, it is one of the best things I have ever done!

Grant, can we please hear about your Xavier experience? My eyes are so green right now ;) Bragging or not, I want to hear about it!!

Chrissy

9. Grantus

In 2008, I was approached by the organisers of the Corinbank Festival, to see if I was interested in doing some artist transport for them.

I've also done this for every Corinbank since. They like the image of Kombis to move their important artists from the airport to accomodation, to the festival and vice versa.

So in return for a bit of time and fuel, (it's about an hour travel between Canberra airport & Corinbank), each volunteer driver gets a free 3 day double pass to the festival, and of course priority shuttle parking spots close to the stage.

As I am the "Artist Transport Team Leader", I get to write up the rosters..... So 2008, I had Xavier Rudd & Kate Miller Heidke in my care.:)

Over the years, I've had the pleasure to meet & drive a lot of bands like the The Bamboos, The Little Stevies, and last year was Busby Marou.

http://www.corinbank.com/

So I'm always on the lookout for volunteers with registered & insured Kombis, 5 -8 seaters preferred, but we've used 2 seater panels for gear as well.

[​IMG]

10. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Completely impressed Grant!!! My sister and I were at Corinbank last year (round 2 after the floods as you know) but only had the day pass. We really wished we had stayed for the weekend because we were desperate to see Busby Marou but had to drive back home that day, so we missed them performing. However my husband and I have tickets to see them in your home town next week and can't wait!

I would be over the moon if you would consider our Vera for the next Corinbank! Have you heard when the next one will be? Vera is of course insured and registered for 8 people however, we only have 6 seat belts.

Xavier Rudd's love for our great country and trying to protect the land should be inspiration for us all.:cool:

Great story Grant! Would love to chat to you about it one day.

Chrissy.

11. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Chrissy, thanks for the idea......might be planning a couple of days on the river now !! Cheers, Mark

12. Grantus

More than happy to consider Vera for the next one. I haven't been emailed any details as yet.....I try hard to lock in my team and the rosters 2 weeks prior, but organising musicians, is like trying to herd cats!

At the further risk of bragging:

Xaviers memorable line to me, was when we arrived at the front gate security, and the volunteers couldn't spell "Xavier", so couldn't find him on the guest list. I gave up, and told them to give me the "Performer" passes, and I'll be on my way.

When I got back in the bus, I apologised to Xavier for the delay, and explained that the whole festival is run by volunteers, and they hadn't quite got it together.

He said: "It's great. It's like my family is running it!" :lol:

Last year, halfway to Corinbank with the full crew of Busby Marou, the police shut the road at the turn after Point Hut Crossing, because of a car accident. Sitting in the middle of nowhere, Jeremy Marou asks if there's a pub nearby while we wait?

No, but I only live 5kms south of here, and I have beer in the fridge. So we all went home to my place, sat around drinking Coronas and chatting for an hour, before heading up to Corinbank, when the road was cleared. They were really appreciative.

I even got a text message from them the week following, thanking me for looking after them so well.:cool:

13. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

GRANTUS!!! You make me sick!:eek: Actually, I am just very envious! That is truly a story I would love to be able to tell. So I guess you have VIP tickets to next weeks Busby Marou show in Canberra? Might have to bring Vera over just in case they feel like cruisin' Kombi style again!:cool:

14. Grantus

No, I don't have VIP tickets to the gig at the ANU.

I suppose I could ring Jeremy and ask for some, and I'm sure he'd sort it, but that would be a bit unprofessional.

I get the Corinbank gig each time, coz I'm not "star struck", and can handle musos, and their requirements well. I don't even take a camera, even though I'm confident no artist would mind having their pic taken. :cool:

But if you do get the chance, mention the Kombi Club or me, to them, and they'll verify my story :)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  15. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Sorry Grant, didn't mean to sound like a 13 year old One Direction fan. :) Living in a small town, we don't get too many artists such as those guys around here, (not that any of my friends would even know who Xavier or Busby Marou are) so whenever they are playing as close to home as Canberra, we jump at the chance to see them.

Also, Paul and Gracie and I will definitely have to get to one of your Canberra Kombi catch-ups at some stage.

Chrissy.

16. Grantus

No worries Chrissy. Didn't take it that way at all...:)

But I must say, Busby Marou are seriously cool and easy going, and it wouldn't surprise me if you get to meet them.

After their gig at Corinbank, they just wanted to get down and mingle with the crowd, then stayed for a jam session till the early hours.:)

17. Grantus

Well Chrissy, how was it?

Did Busby Marou meet expectations, or not, last week?:rolleyes:

18. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Grant....It was brilliant!! They sounded awesome and we had a great chat to them after the show. You were right, simply lovely and very humble guys! I even managed to have a sing with them later on!:D I will show you the vid one day. They remembered you of course and mentioned what an awesome set up you had at home. I can't speak highly enough of them and both Paul and I were on a real high afterwards, I felt it the next day too (bit dusty).

We also met Nat Dunn who is on tour with them, another amazing voice and sweet chick. A great night all round! Thanks for the heads up mate.;)
    Chrissy.
    [​IMG]

19. Grantus

Good stuff Chrissy! :)

Sounds like a great night out! :cool:

20. venture4th

venture4th Member

So, if I stick my hand up for muso transport for Corinbank next time, in a groovy yellow mother duck T3 5 seater, complete with 500,000km and going strong, what are my chances of getting on the transport roster? :) Only asking since I've got every one of XRs albums, have them on high rotation when I'm doing long road trips, just no better tunes for enjoying our beautiful country when you're moving through it at dak-dak speed. I might even let them ride an eBike.

I reckon it'd be worth the trip down from Newcastle, given I did live in the ACT for 13yrs..