1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old bar Kombi festival 2011

Discussion in 'NSW' started by saabman, Oct 2, 2011.

1. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

After packing up a soaked & drenched tent yesterday under the protection of the communal area/kitchen (thanks Kai & Mo for helping and thanks to Franks clan for feeding us egg & bacon sangas...), I had to fight against a fed up wife and 3 wet kids who wanted to leave immediately.... I talked them into waiting to late afternoon after going to the Club first to watch the 1st half of the Grand Final...

We finally left Old Bar at about 6.30pm and had a dream run home to Wollongong - not much rain and NO traffic at all :) Got home at 11.30pm and watched the Moto GP that I asked my son to record for me :cool:

It was a real shame about the weather but we still enjoyed the Kombi Bling on show and the cameraderie of fellow Kombi Lovers...... we'll be back next year :lol:

2. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Just for all the softies that went home early the sun DID come out!

[​IMG]

3. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

We are home with an extra gearbox inside for Kuchster from Brendan. What an experience, three of us camping in my semi camper kombi was fun and a bit 'cosy'. The rain almost sent us home on Saturday, fed up with wet clothes etc.

Was good to meet everyone again and the people we haven't met before, thanks to the organisers of Old Bar Festival, it looked like they had a lot planned for the weekend but events out of their control ie. weather put a dampener on some Kombi owners spirits. Here's hoping it is sunny next year.

Thanks must go to Nathan for organising a Sydney convoy for saturday and Adam, Steve, Gus + others for a great convoy, 7 kombis travelling together on the highway looked awesome. Thanks to Mel for looking after my sister, and drying some of Dad's clothes, and as always, the slice! Markus for the fun surf on Saturday, Dad's always in the right spot for the waves hey! And thanks must go to all the other Kombi people that turned up for the event doing their best to create a great kombi display. Congratulations to all the winners also.

Roll on next year!

(photos to come)

4. saabman

5. saabman

6. gusfallis

gusfallis Member

Had a great weekend. The weather was a pain but didn't take away from the Kombi experience. It was great meeting everyone and making new friends that we are sure to regularly meet up with on Kombi outings.
    It all started with the convoy on the way up, getting stuck in a police roadblock for a while. It's not what you know but who you know!! Seeing the result of a bad pilot. Not something you see everyday and boy does he have a drinking story now. I doubt he will be flying again once he explains it all.
    It was the first big run for the Kombi and it helped sort out some issues, I spent a few hours over the weekend fixing my 3rd class wiring job that has just jumped to my #1 priority to sort out, followed by the 20 other priorities.
    Most of all our Kombi got a name, Krackers. I'll post the sticker once I've worked out the best old style german font, anyone know of one?
    Thanks Kai for travelling home behind me, always better in numbers, I was gaugeless for the trip so was travelling on sounds really.
    Thanks again to everyone from Gus, Rach, Riley & Georgia for a great weekend and the first off many to come.

7. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Not long been home now and this "Softy" is definitley happy he stayed at the Meridan:p

Thanks a bunch to everyone I met, crossed paths with or shared a dry spot with over the weekend and although it was a fairly crappy first Old Bar I'll be back! (Christine probably won't be but I will)
    Kombi's and great people make the event what it is.

I must also apologise to anyone and everyone if I banged on to much I have a tendency to talk way to much about not a lot so sorry for that.

Thanks to all that tagged along on Saturday for the convoy up, It was awesome to share the drive up with so many great cars , even if Gus's Split showed us all up with Adam/Spearsy's Lowlight running a close second.

Melissa, Lorraine, Judy etc etc thanks for keeping me entertained whilst my wife escaped the weather back at the resort.

I really wish I had better foot wear or the whether had held off long enough for me to get a few more photos cause I know I missed a hell of a lot of great Kombi's.... Gum Boots a must next year!

What photos I did take are coming soon.

Thanks Again. Definitely looking forward to the Bus Stop even more now, can't dampen my Kombi spirit:lol:

P.S. Gus and Rachel you're kids where fantastic such fun sitting with you guys at the club last night, Christine and I both left with a greater longing for kids of our own they where great kids and I can only hope ours are as dedicated to the Kombi cause (and Lego) as yours are. (I'm already on the look out for the lego men driving the bus shirt)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  8. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Meet up at Thornleigh Maccas Saturday Morning
    [​IMG]

Quick stop at the Twin Servos

[​IMG]

Finally in Old bar, no need to post pics of the Ferris wheel so took these three buses supervising the recovery of the plane

[​IMG]

9. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

This is ones on the christmas list.

[​IMG]

Waiting for the parade/convoy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Manged to take these before it bucketed down

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't imagine why she spent so much time in there. (Her face says -get me out of here, but her heart says...do it for Nathan)
    [​IMG]

11. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

12. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

13. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Hey Bernie you know who owns the lime DC he was telling me about a place to get wheel centre caps from in the states and I should have written it down.

14. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

15. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

16. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

17. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

18. gusfallis

gusfallis Member

Nathan, the race is on to find the lego man in kombi shirt.
    Thanks to your discussions with a 4 year old I now have to find the Darth Vadar in a Kombi shirt , Yoda in a Kombi shirt, Santa in a Kombi shirt.
    Who else did you tell him was in a Kombi on a shirt???
    He's working out about ebay.
    I get in enough trouble for what I buy for myself, now I'm going to get into trouble for things that turn up in the mail for Riley.

19. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Sorry mate... just get one each and call it even.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VW-Kombi-Van-Star-Wars-Funny-Boys-Black-T-Shirt-2-14-/290503798369?pt=AU_Boy_Clothing&var=&hash=item895f46122a
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Christmas-Santa-Elf-VW-Kombi-Van-Boys-Black-T-Shirt-All-/250735712399?pt=AU_Boy_Clothing&var=&hash=item800fb58b7f

20. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member