1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On my way

Discussion in 'Kombi Spotting' started by jobell, May 5, 2011.

1. jobell

jobell Active Member

I'm finally on my way around Australia... left Canberra last Sunday. I got a pic in front of New Parliament House the day before I left as above. Visible in the photo is the new bull bar I've added; I really wasn't too sure that I would like it, but overall I think it doesn't look too bad.

[​IMG]

Dorothy with the big merino in Goulburn on Tuesday:

[​IMG]

I've only seen one other kombi in the last five days, and that was today here in Newcastle. I didn't have a chance to get a pic, but got my wave returned. :) It was a red bus, in a very similar shade to Dorothy, with a white cross, ambulance style, on the side. Anyone know it?

I'll be heading north up the coast from here next week. I'm spending the weekend bushwalking and Dorothy will be tucked up safely in a friend's garage while I'm gone.

I've got a few things to attend to before I head north - since I had her serviced last week she is idling a bit higher than she was, and I'm thinking it might have to do with having the automatic choke reconnected at that service (it is making absolutely no difference to starting her in the morning, so perhaps this idling issue is why it was previously left disconnected). Can I disconnect it myself? Or should I find myself a nice friendly mechanic in the area?

I'm looking forward to being spotted! Even better... come and say hello. Neither Dorothy nor I bite... :D

2. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

If your heading up the Nimbin/Byron area let me know... I am sure Lorraine and I would to catch up with you while you are here

3. terbear

terbear Member

There's a driveway in Brisbane too if you want it..

4. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

beaches

jobell

a photo of a kombi at a beach never goes astray!

5. wasabi

wasabi New Member

Thats a nice looking camper , enjoy your trip , dont forget a photo of the big banana at Coffs Harbour !

6. nickc

nickc Member

will keep a look at when you get to the gold coast, shouldn't miss this nice bright bay. let us know when your up this way, have fun. Nick:)

7. Justin

Justin Active Member

quite the quintessential kombi shot actually , ESPECIALLY on a road trip :cool:

happy travels anyway !

8. Marlyn

Marlyn Active Member

Hi Jo if your still in Newcastle try Nymeyers at Belmont for your idle prob &
    welcome to Gods country
    cheers Mark

9. Justin

Justin Active Member

was this it ? , previously spotted by AMMO
    http://forums.kombiclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10395&d=1300714617

10. sacky

sacky Member

Have a great trip we dont bite in melbourne either if your here in a few months

11. jobell

jobell Active Member

Hello!
    Justin - yup, that's the one. Very eye catching!
    Mark - will chase down your recommendation tomorrow if I can - I'm in Newcastle at the moment. Thanks!
    Judy - would love to catch up with you and Lorraine when I make it further north. I should be up that way within the next month.
    So far, I've been through the Blue Mountains and down beside the Hawkesbury River via Wiseman's Ferry, and today was out in the Hunter Valley. Spent the weekend bushwalking up in Barrington Tops National Park. Having a ball! Will get more kombi pics up soon.
    Joanne

12. jobell

jobell Active Member

[​IMG]

Contemplating the upper Hawkesbury River....

13. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

That would be great, just let us know when you are up here. I work Tues/ Wed/Thurs but right in the heart of Nimbin so if you are only able to make it on one of these days we can at least catch up for coffee.

14. jobell

jobell Active Member

Since my last post I've been to Newcastle, spent a weekend bushwalking in Barrington Tops National Park, a day out in the Hunter Valley area, then went up the coast to Myall Lakes National Park and stayed out near Seal Bay. Yesterday up via Old Bar, to Wauchope, now in Kempsey. Glad to be leaving the colder weather behind as I head north! Heading out to South West Rocks hoping for a campsite for the next few nights.

15. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

You can look at the idle problem your self. Looking down from the hatch above the engine on the left carb you will see a large tube with a flat screw head in it. With the engine idling turn a quarter turn clock wise wait a few seconds and listen to the revs. They should drop. Turning it out does the opposite. Dont get carried away and if the engine stalls turn it out half a turn a restart it, then turn it in a quarter turn. Dont fiddle with anything else and if you cant get it where you want it, then drop in and see a mechanic. Keep note of how far you turn it so you can put it back how it was before if you feel unsure. It wont be far off.

Adrian

16. Marlyn

Marlyn Active Member

Hey Jo , if your heading to South West Rocks do yourself a favour checkout Hat Head just south of SWR not as commercial and great tidal creek to swim in and plenty bush walks GODS country our Christmas retreat !
    Also a big 4 park there corner shop etc
    cheers

17. jobell

jobell Active Member

Adrian - thanks for the tips on the idle. Much happier with it now.
    Mark and Linda - I ended up spending two nights in Hat Head NP camping near the lighthouse. I'd second your recommendation to anyone else who might be considering it! $5 a night was heaps more reasonable than the $23 that they wanted at Trial Bay...

18. jobell

jobell Active Member

Dorothy in Old Bar last Thurs...

[​IMG]

19. jobell

jobell Active Member

Dorothy and myself up on the lookout off the Waterfall Way between Bellingen and Dorrigo - yesterday.

[​IMG]

20. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

The walk down to the bottom of Wollomombi falls there is beautiful.

Though sometimes, the walk back up is not so appealing.......