One more new member

Discussion in 'New Members' started by StanTheVan, Jul 9, 2018.

1. StanTheVan

StanTheVan New Member

Hi everyone,

First time VW Bus owner here!

I recently dove into the VW world and purchased a 1982 VW T3 Caravelle with the air-cooled engine (since named Stan the Van), it has a straight-up pop-top and had a full interior with a rock n roll back seat bed and cabinets with a sink. I only gave it a quick look over before deciding to buy it (it was in Perth, I'm in Melbourne) and thought that most of the body work was ok and the engine ran. Good enough to start with!?

I intended to rip out the interior and refit anyway as it was all custom and old, damp expanded chipboard units and everything was very wobbly. And also self-teach myself auto mechanics! Novice carpenter and novice mechanic :)

Found out since that the pop-top is not factory fitted and there is considerable amounts of rust under the back and sides (at least) along the van roof, both the inner and outer skin. It's been suggested the best option is to find a donor T3 van and transplant the roof!

Anyone know any T3's wrecking around Melbourne or in Victoria somewhere?

Cheers,
    Neil

Mordred and Dapom like this.
  2. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Another airpumper being saved :)
    Shout out in the T3 forum when you need help ;)

3. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Welcome to KC Neil, sorry to hear that your purchase was not what you hoped for. Have heard this story before and my advice is to buy another camper in good condition as you will spend heaps of $$$ & time trying to move your stuff to a tin top & converting it. Strip it and keep the parts for your next van or sell them on to help fund your next van.

4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Welcome to the KC Neil. Hope all things work out one way or the other ,so you can enjoy your kombi wherever it takes you. Some of the best T3 people around for some good advice:rolleyes: above:)

5. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Neil, great idea entering the kombi world - except for the expense and basic requirement that you need to be slightly insane.

Is yours a Trakka pop-top or something else.

Show us some photos of the disaster areas - it may not be as bad as you have been told.

Cheers

6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club Neil.:)

As suggested, some pics will help to ascertain true condition.

Gotta see if it can be sorted, so you can enjoy the ride...........;)

7. slobus

slobus Member

Welcome Neil, you're sure to find a great deal of info here!

8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Neil, welcome to the party that never ends :D
    Bay camper owners refer to your situation re pop top as rust in the usual places :eek:

9. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club Neil. Sorry to hear what’s happened but the guys above will give you great advice;). And do your best to maintain sanity :p. Cheers

10. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Congrats on the air cooled.Pics are good. Lots of help via the forum. Under the fibreglass does not require a perfect finish. Just needs to be solid and rust free.

11. StanTheVan

StanTheVan New Member

Thanks guys for all the supportive comments. Here are a few pics showing the rust inside and out along the rear, it's also along the side but haven't got pics of that yet.

If anyone has any insight as to the type of pop-top that would be great too.

Attached Files:

12. onetrackwonder

onetrackwonder Member

Welcome Neil, did you road trip it back home, looks like a car that someone has resprayed to make it look nice and pretty so you may have other hidden treasures there, then again any issues that were visible may have been done professionally, only the ones that done it will know, I for one prefer to buy unpainted cars so you can see any history but you have what you have so no need to reflect, lets hope its the latter, anyway now its time for you too make a few decisions, as Alpal has said under the roof you don't see so that could be an easier repair than parts of the bus that are seen but it does look rather nasty and not a job to be taken light heartedly especially as a novice but there are a lot of very experienced people here and youtube, and the best way to learn anything is to give it a crack yourself as you are only spending your time and not your valuable dollars, you will soon be master of a grinder, best of luck with it all and keep us posted on your progress, I will look forward to seeing Stan on the road some day, cheers Greg

13. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Def a crusty bus, but hey, anything is possible, with varying amounts of time and money. ;)

Was your “quick look over” in person, or just perusing sellers pics? :rolleyes:

14. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Nasty rust however if that bit in the back is the worst then could be fixed but depends on the depth of your pockets or skill level with grinder & welder. You could cut the repair panels off a van that is being parted. I am parting 1 but I'm in Gosford NSW, need to find someone local.