1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Operation Shitbox Kombi - 2014 Shitbox Rally

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by JayBone, Dec 24, 2013.

1. JayBone

JayBone Member

The 'Wolf Creek Taxi Co.' Will again be competing in the Shitbox Rally in 2014 and are pleased to unveil the Shitbox Kombi that will be taking us (Myself and Lewis this year) from Perth to Darwin in what is bound to be an interesting rally once again!

This beauty is currently a long term resident of the Outback Queensland desert, in an opal mine, 130km West of Cunnamulla. We will be mobilising a rescue party early January to bring him back to Brisbane, giving us several months to get this Kombi ready for the trip! Should be a doddle!

For those of you not familiar with the Shitbox Rally, below is a link. Alternatively search for Shitbox rally on Kombi Club and you can see pictures etc from our adventure last year.

http://www.shitboxrally.com.au/

Also, if you are feeling generous we do need to raise the minimum $4000 sponsorship to qualify for our place on the rally, all proceeds to the Cancer Council. Sponsorship link Below.

https://shitboxrally2014.everydayhero.com/au/wolf-creek-taxi-co

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JayBone

JayBone Member

3. JayBone

JayBone Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is Last years entry..............Before and After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I hope you are doing the recovery authenticaly, ie fitting an engine out there and driving it home :)

5. terbear

terbear Member

Good on you boys.... xo

6. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

Grab that HQ-HZ rear ute 1/4 while your at it, stick it on ebay and add funds to the project .

7. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

Looks like this one is in way better condition than last years to star with. I look forward to following shitbox Kombi no. 2 all the way to the finishing line.

8. JayBone

JayBone Member

Yeah the body looks great on this one, havent seen it up close yet though, needs new cab floor and battery tray, but the rest looks ok. Looks like there is an issue with the gearbox mount too. The big difference this year is the lack of engine, but we have 6 donor engines to make a runner out of :) - We need to find some wheels too, looking forward to picking it up and seeing what we have got to achieve with only $650 to spend to get it on the road :D

9. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Great choice of vehicle - looks like a wide 5 lowie which would have made a great restoration project anyway.

It at least has 2 wheels and a gearbox....as you noted the donk should be easy.

I noticed your old Westfalia camper is competing again this year - not part of the Wolf Creek Taxi Co?

Best of luck with the resto... and the real nasty roads between Perth and Darwin - the route takes on some real bad roads.

10. Syncro27

This looks lie a deluxe bus (less the external trim) with all the opening quarter lights - even the front windows which were very rare in Oz.

The bus is a very loooong way from civilisation via dirt roads.

It will be an epic rescue just to get it home - we need some photos and a write up on that Jon - it should be very interesting! Especially during the summer desert heat.....

Best of luck there. Would love to help but I am even further away.

11. JayBone

JayBone Member

Last years Kombi is undergoing a resto, Andrew who i did the rally with last year bought it at the auction, we have both just used it for our profile pics on the website. He is entering again aswell, so we have two teams this year but he wants something with less 'drama' haha

12. JayBone

JayBone Member

It does look to be a nice bus, doesn't even need a paint job this one!

The guy has said that we can take whatever VW bits he has lying around aswell, so hopefully a few useful bits to be had.

Its certainly gonna be an interesting rescue, but we arent gonna try and get it running out there as we really dont know what we are dealing with until we see it, we will head out in a tilt truck or with a trailer, havent started on an engine yet either

There will be pics :)

13. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Good for you!! I just had a look at the brilliant video from last year and it looks like great fun and a bit of a challenge, all for a fantastic charity.
    Oh, and I loved the clip of the fire extinguisher in the back of the Kombi.:lol:

Just gave a small donation and I wish you the best of luck!

Chrissy.:D

14. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Wheres the rust - comon guys this one looks too easy ;)

15. JayBone

JayBone Member

Thanks very much Chrissy :D much appreciated

There are videos of each of the 7 days of the rally on the website too, apparently my comment on day 1 video made people chuckle! I was so exhausted i didnt know what i was saying :) haha

16. JayBone

JayBone Member

And we have longer than 5 weeks to get it to the start line :)

Still needs some welding and new metal in the floors, that, or a bit of wood maybe?

17. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Checked out day 1 video…. very funny!!:lol: Can't wait to browse through the other videos.

It looks like a blast. Fancy dress and getting to cruise all that way in a Kombi, that is completely appealing to me.:D

18. Syncro27

Any updates on the extraction of this shitbox kombi Jon?

They were talking some serious wet weather out that way recently which would make for a good "outback Truckers" show with the mainly clay roads out there.

19. terbear

terbear Member

Oh s#@t and %&^$$#@@#$%........ don't scare me........

20. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

sounds like syncro territory. with some grunt.
    no good for wimpy utes and city tyres :)

at least Jon will be used to wet weather and no traction,