original fuel pump

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by betsy, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

It definitely had the little filter and the diaphragm which was synthetic rubber if I remember. I think it has the vanes for the pump as well. Been a long time since I have seen one. Andrew might remember as he probably found one recently in his NOS stock.

Adrian

2. deger

deger Active Member

Thanks Adrian, I'll clean mine up and pop it apart to check it out. Can't imagine there would be too many parts to them.
    Darren

3. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Original mechanical fuel pumps have been NLA since 2001... The rebuild kits too. I still use mech pumps on my buses with a personal stash of NOS Peirburg rebuild kits. In terms of going to electric.. it comes down to the quality of pump and cutoff features to replicate the original. No, It's not cheap from me, but you will only ever need to do it ONCE.

David H likes this.
  4. 1500king

In the Pierburg rebuild kit...

All gaskets.
    The main diaphragm , double skinned by Effbe.
    The anti siphon cutoff diaphragm.

David H likes this.
  5. 1500king

In terms of diagnosis.. the effectiveness of your pump relies on;

the pushrod being 139.5mm long
    the lobe on the cam for the pump not being worn out.

In terms of fitment...

If you indeed find a kit.;

You will need to use the VW factory tool to set the diaphragm depth and THEN assemble...otherwise pressure will be poor or it will not last.

6. 1500king

When going to electric... There is "Chinese" and then there is good.. rattle pumps are a "no no"..

To give full operational features of the original pump... you need;

-a fuel lock off valve under the tank.
    -A good and quiet roller cell pump with the right relief pressure.. Pierburg.
    -A Tachometric relay to shut off the supply when the coil firing voltage stops-safety- + gives a 3 second prime when you turn the ignition on.
    -Somebody competent with neat and inconspicuous wiring.

7. 1500king

To assess the pump's heath... from memory, 500ml in one minute into a jug with idling motor.... your engine needs to run off an alternate fuel supply.

8. deger

deger Active Member

It's a bit of a long story but the motor to our bus went 'missing'. I have sourced a donor engine which I've stripped and in the process of working out parts for the rebuild. The motor has a mechanical pump but I've got no idea what condition it is in so short of finding a way to bench test it, I'm not to sure what to do about it. As I'm starting from scratch, I don't want to install anything I'm not confident about. From what you say Andrew, even if I were to find a kit, setting it will be beyond me anyway. Hmmmmmmm. I'll have to chase you about the alternative by the sound of it.

9. 1500king

I can sort you out for a "Plug and play" kit. No issues.

10. deger

deger Active Member

Thanks Andrew, I'll chase you up about this for sure. Thanks for your great tips and input too. VERY much appreciated.
    Darren