1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OS Purchases

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by spark, Apr 21, 2020.

1. spark

spark Member

May be a strange thing to post on tech help yet as I have been purchasing parts from os I would like some opinions re shipping and GST.
    As our Government changed the laws last year that goods coming to Aus are subject to GST with goods under a value $1000 au classified as low cost purchases yet still subject to GST and goods over that requiring customs clearance through a freight forwarding company .
    I have purchased items under $1000 from the US and use a US mailing address Aus post ,shopmate account I have found that I can track the item speak to someone in Aust easy for me and GST is paid before it is shipped in AUS.
    Question? Should I set up the same process in Germany as I am trying to buy shocks Bilstien In AUS the shocks are priced at $1700 and in Germany are $500 euro. Rang hessmans and they can not match anywhere the price.
    Don't want to get caught in a customs nightmare. Is there someway better?

2. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

I get confused about this. The examples given at the introduction of the legislation basically said GST would be charged if the seller or the seller's agent had a presence in Australia (Ebay, Amazon etc...). I recently bought some items from Gowesty (only about $100). No GST.

I have previously bought items over $AUD1000 and had them caught in customs (live steam Mallard if you must know). Had to go down and pay GST and pick it up but that was a few years ago now. They gave me an import licence. I.e they would send me the item and a bill. Never used it. As I said, some time ago...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  3. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I have never been charged GST by Rocky Mountain Westy, Van Cafe or Gowesty nor Brickwerks

4. Nozza

Nozza Well-Known Member

I think it depends who they ship through.
    Several years ago I bought some very expensive skateboards from Hamboards in the US for me and a mate.
    To save shipping costs they packaged them together and shipped via UPS.
    They disappeared in the system, and I had to engage a customs agent to get them out of Melbourne airport, cost $400 plus that was basically extortion to take them off a shelf and put them in a van.
    Follow up order shipped by I have forgotten who, similar value arrived door to door with no problem, GST, or duty

5. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I find know if the company has a connection to Australia even Heritage parts (vw) charge GST as of there link to Australia through there website. It doesn't matter on how much it is applied in checkout. If the company has no connection,the parcel normally arrives with no problems unless customs pick up on the $1000 dollar value. Little bit of a loop hole. Postage at the moment and the dollar gone to Bondi make things a bit expensive

wirrah likes this.
  6. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I looked at buying a label from brickworks worth about $4 but shipping was nearly $130.00 for something that would fit in an envelope. Even after giving shipping details.

That is ridiculous - never buying from them...

wirrah and Grantus like this.
  7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

That’s a cracker! :D

So you declined to buy the $134 label then? :rolleyes:

Does seem to be an “auto generated” postage estimate from them lately. Email to them prior to order, to discuss, does render a more reasonable result. ;)

Syncro27 likes this.
  8. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Shipping pricing is totally inconsistent. I have recently purchased items from the UK for minimal postage costs. Similar to the US (eg. Gowesty). It's ultimately up to the seller. There are some books I see on ebay at the moment that I want. Price is ok but the seller has set stupid postage prices ($100+ for a book!!!)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  9. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

I once tried to buy some stickers there. They said the insurance was too high to post after I contacted them about the postage. Some years ago.

Syncro27 likes this.
  10. kleinersyncro

kleinersyncro Active Member

@spark which vendor in Germany are looking at to purchase the shocks?
    Generally prices in Germany are incl. German GST (MwSt, 19%) which you can deduct from the price tag. The vendor will normally send you an invoice without charging GST.
    Once arriving in the country, Australian custom may checks the package and the attached invoice and will charge you on this accordingly (import duty and GST in Australia). Usually Australian GST will not be collected by the vendor in Germany, unless they have got an Australian business account.

I have been ordering numerous times in Germany, even parts close or just above the $1000 bracket and not got charged yet :rolleyes:

Note, if Import duty and GST will be charged, it will be calculated on the products value + shipping costs

11. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Which is my understanding as well.

12. Grantus

As above. ^^^

I’ve bought lots of stuff from OS businesses that are not registered for Australian GST, but I keep each order less that A$1,000, and as long as it’s to my door delivery, I’ve not been charged yet.

As the Australian Dollar is only worth around two flat rocks and a short stick at the moment, it’s a less than ideal time to be shopping offshore. :(

13. Wayne murray

Some Australian companies have to pick there game up in packing and delivery times. Shouldn't take 6 days to pack & courier an item.o_O I only live 19km away from the company,if only I could pick up:( You are right that Australian dollar isn't great at the moment,at least the money under the mattress has taken out the dip in the mattress.:confused: At the moment supporting Australian companies is real needed.:)

Syncro27 likes this.
  14. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

Weddle tried to charge me $132US to ship a locker actuator shaft ($71 US) which is the size of a pen, got the bullshit excuse that they only use UPS and that is what they charge. Ended up using a freight forwarder and got some extra stuff off Amazon at the same time for way less. Thing is if you do an order do a big one.

15. Grantus

Agree with that. Have found that many guess a flat rate postage cost, whether it’s $50 or $950 of goods, for the same freight costs.

16. Grantus

True, and it’s always the first place I look, and as long as the quality is the same, and the cost equal or even a bit more, I go for it.;)

Unfortunately, some are charging the same price or more, for quite poor quality items. :(

17. Wayne murray

That is very true and is a shame that this is being done,not doing them (company)any favors. In my current resto I've already started replacing components that have perished and the car hadn't moved in the 12 months since putting the items on the car.

18. David H

David H Well-Known Member

:(

19. spark

spark Member

Thanks everyone I have done some more research and found that the ATO states all goods purchased overseas are subject to GST. I found companies like UPS ect Collect the GST when they quote there price for shipping as the company that supplies the parts has to give size weight and price of goods.
    Its the same if the goods are over $1000 they have there own Freight forwarders. I think there is a major surcharge for this service.
    That is why when I had a price for a diff and Freight came in at $700.
    I think I will always purchase goods under $1000 e.g. If I want Four Shocks buy rear then the front get two invoices. and use Shopmate and the European version mailboxde than pay for consolidated shipping .

Thanks

20. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Might have something to do with them being closed?

Luckyphil likes this.