1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OSI has died

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Terrordales, May 9, 2011.

1. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

Seems like I made the correct decision in not going to the Bus Stop & saving OSI for the run to Nimbin & Camp Keen.
    The engine died this afternoon, it's been burning oil at a reasonable rate for the last couple of months & it looks like the 2000+ K's to & from Camp Keen saw it over the edge. :(
    The rebuild is going to happen sooner than later, I want to take it out to 2 litres+, different pistons,with a slightly warmer cam, perhaps Webber or Dells on top & a different exhaust.
    Can I please have suggestions on what I want to start looking for in the way of parts for the rebuild?

2. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Standard lasts. Modified goes hard and dies!

But i'm an old fart!

3. Terrordales

Thanks Al, that's a start.:)

4. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Camper Special, a la Jake Raby via Damo?

Swagman Shurms has one. You can google all about them. Decent lump.

That said, I tend to agree with Alpal for most cases!

5. farquire

farquire Active Member

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=90100wayne penrose has one for sale on aussieveedubbers.i've put two together in the last 12 months ,one for the sons kombi and one for mine,sons has standard 94mm pistons, scat c25 cam, scat followers,high rev valve springs and retainers,1800 heads with new valves, k lined , three angle valve grind and mild porting,running compression ratio of 8 to 1,twin 40 dells with a standard exhaust,it is a pleasure to drive ,plenty of low down grunt and good mid range power i had this in my kombi first then gave it to my son as i thought i would make one with a bit more go ,mine now has same 1800 heads 40 dells comp 8.5 to 1 all the same scat stuff except a c45 cam ,porsche adjusters with 1700 lifters and 96mm flat top pistons which pushes it out to 2050cc ,this motor likes to rev ,not real happy plodding along at 2000 revs but from 2500 to 5500 it has plenty of grunt,and puts a smile on my face,the first motor is more practical as a daily driver,mine really only gets out on the weekend,neither cost a fortune to build,probably around 3000 to 4000 buying most bits in the states ,which may be a bit cheaper now. cheers mike

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  6. Terrordales

Thanks, I think I know who owns the engine Wayne has for sale.

7. malibu

malibu Member

Sorry to hear about OSI Don.Hope you are back on the road soon.

8. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Bummer about OSI Don.

You'll just have to travel in comfort for a while....;)

9. 66 deluxe

66 deluxe New Member

Rebuild it with 71mm 2 litre crank and rods, a raby 9550 cam kit, new 94mm pistons and cylinders, balance the whole rotating assembly, static balance rods and pistons. Use new heads if you can but change valves to either 41x 34mm or 42x36mm former valve sizes good for stock carbs, latter valve sizes perfect for twin webber idf carbs. For rods you can get them rebuilt or get yourself some AA performance h beam rods lighter rod better design comes with ARP rod bolts get Minimum 2000 series ARP rod bolts. have your stock distributor overhauled, Mac-tuned up here at morayfield does mine. I use JAX heads to install my new valves and seats into the new AMC heads, aim for 1mm deck height with 50-52cc chambers plus the dish in the piston which is around 13cc this will give you approx 7.8:1. perfect for the bus. Also have your case machined where the cylinders sit so you can get even deck heights do this due to register collapse from years of driving and punishment. Try and keep main journals on crank std if possible as STD/STD mains are being remade again but ultimately you will have to measure case and crank and find what size main bearings you can and machine crank/case for what you can find as main bearings are extremely hard to get. Hope this helps take your time building it and get a quality exhaust on it too. I won't be able to reply to this post for a couple of days as i fly out for USA tomorrow start my job with Raby.

Damo.

10. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

That should just about cover the tech specs, Don! Congrats to Damo on the appointment. Far out - that's about as big a deal as it gets in VW jobs as far as I can tell.

11. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

:lol: Me too Al :D

12. phatratpat

phatratpat New Member

simple ! sell t3:barf:...put money into donk rebuild.....:cool:

13. Terrordales

I've got the money for the rebuild, that's not a problem. :p
    Sell the T3 ...... are you insane man?
    Actually I'm looking at another rather tasty T3 at the moment. :eek:

14. vwmad

vwmad New Member

Don shimo is selling a engine and said he would do a good price for club members;)
    ask dave he would know more???
    cheers shane.

15. Terrordales

Already done, it's a good engine too. I'll know more tomorrow.:)

16. vwmad

vwmad New Member

Good luck:)

17. phatratpat

phatratpat New Member

your looking at ANOTHER t3 and your calling ME insane !!!......:rolleyes:

18. Terrordales

RHD DOKA, 4WD, 16" wheels ....... shame it's in Z.A. :umm:
    Still shipping won't be that much. :p

19. phatratpat

phatratpat New Member

the enlightenment you seek lays in the other direction sir !!:rolleyes:
    I see a split in your future......join us !...........;)

20. Terrordales

T3's are cheaper, more practical & much better looking. :p
    Unless you're offering me the Samba. ;)