1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our new Goanna

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by onetrackwonder, Feb 23, 2021.

1. onetrackwonder

onetrackwonder Well-Known Member

I recently had a birthday and thanks to everyone that posted their best wishes for me, I mention that because I bought a new car for the first time in my life on my birthday.
    I have been looking for said car for quite a while now and I had Marketplace set up to alert me if anything similar to what we wanted comes on the market, late on the Friday night before my birthday an alert popped up and I liked what we saw so rang straight away, the car was over in Jindabyne and we headed off early on the Saturday morning in our Transporter Van and sure enough we came home in a T5 convoy.
    Our new beast is a 2008 T5 4Motion, as mentioned above we have a 2007 T5 Van which we were the first owners, Denlo Parramatta had put 13K on it as a parts chaser just using trade plates, we also have a 2003 Hilux 4x4 Duel Cab Ute and we had decided to combine the best of both worlds and get the 4Motion, that means one less rego and insurance and more space for older VW's.
    She has been knocked around a little but it is something that we can either fix or turn a blind eye, hell our T5i s not perfect and they both have been used for what they were made for, anyway here are some pics, cheers Greg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

A rare horse there Greg.;):cool:. Not many DC's in any year modelo_O.
    Nice:).
    Cheers

onetrackwonder likes this.
  3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice ;) ..... factory drop sides :D

onetrackwonder likes this.
  4. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Very nice.

That 4Motion system works very well.

The diffs all seem to be limited slip as noted by this comparison video between a T3 syncro with twin lockers and a T6 4Motion.

5. onetrackwonder

onetrackwonder Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, thats a very interesting video Scott, thanks, I have one spot on my block that is an uphill turn that I always have to select 4 wheel drive and physically get out and lock the front axles on the Hilux to get around and up, I also have a salvaged Subaru Legacy here which I intend to use as a donor for a scratch build Country Buggy Replica that I want to do and it just spins wheels and wont go up there at all, the 4Motion done it easy and I was way impressed, and that was with road tyres, I then towed our little Avan up there from the opposite end of the block to park it up on the hill and out out of the way and again it done it easy and didn't even spin wheels, when I went to unhitch it I realised I hadn't released the park brake on the van, doh, my next test will be down the hill into the paddock, its very steep here in Tilba, last time down there with the Hilux it was very greasy from the rain and I had to drop the tyre pressures to around 5lbs just to get out and thats on AT tyres, during the week I swapped the wheels from the T5 Van that we are selling along with the seats that are the top of the range ones with the arm rests into the 4Motion, I also fixed the passengers front door that wouldn't open from inside or outside, when we got it, the inside handle opened the door, by the time we got it home both sides were unable to open the door, this is a major issue with a T5 because you need to open the door to open the fuel flap, so without an open fuel flap your not going far, youtube is a wonderful resource and a video from a bloke in the UK was worth lots to us, unreal, I also made good the headlight that had a badly faded lens, very happy with the result, its not like new but way better than it was, cheers Greg
    Here are the headlights before
    [​IMG]
    https://i.imgur.com/te0FVCK.jpg[/img]'][​IMG]

And After
    [​IMG]
    https://i.imgur.com/vcjdje3.jpg[/img]'][​IMG]

And with a wheel swap
    [​IMG]

cbus, Syncro27, David H and 3 others like this.
  6. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Agree VW's are just generally awesome off-road - hence why many people love them in Oz.

The only thing that seems to stop the 4 motion is the front wheels and one rear wheel slipping as in the last scene in the comparison video - it just went nowhere and even the traction control didnt help.

Nothing a diff-lock wouldnt fix though.

7. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

What product did you use to restore the headlights.

8. Wiz

Wiz New Member

I've tried a few things and have now settled on fine cutting compound followed by Dupli-Color UV-protective headlight clear coat.
    The clear coat is very runny and will sometimes flow around a stone chip if not applied thinly so need to take care.
    They also make a headlight kit with a spray polish to remove the yellowing and prep lens for t clear UV-protective coat but I haven't tried it.
    Gave up on other brands because they were too expensive and/or they yellowed again due to UV.
    I also have some C.Quartz ceramic quartz paint protection that is supposed to do a brilliant job on headlights but haven't tried it yet.

cbus likes this.
  9. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Tiny tray........ compared to the T3 SC...

Just saying, for usefulness.

Nice score, if serious loads are not the intentions. ;)

10. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Back in the 60's I had a perspex windscreen in my modified road car, I applied "RainX" on the screen so you didn't need to use w/wipers, after awhile the screen would still haze over

I found the best restorer was toothpaste, sponge pad followed by a soft cloth and lots of patients !!..........fitted a standard screen after a couple of years. :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021 at 8:10 AM
  11. Wiz

Wiz New Member

A few years ago Glenn Seton was in a V8 touring car race and it started pouring with rain.
    The commentators noticed his windscreen wipers were not working and asked when Glenn was going to pit so they could look at the problem.
    No problem at all - he was using Rain-X on the windscreen!

David H likes this.