1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Over heating t3 water pump?

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Oliver Gordon, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Oliver Gordon

Oliver Gordon New Member

Any help please…
    84 t3 with a EJ22 conversion.
    Having over heating issues, thought it to be head gasket but mechanic thinks could be a weak water pump. I got water pump and timing belt down a month or so ago.
    He says a regular Subaru water pump probably won’t have a power to cycle the coolant properly… does this sound accurate?
    Over heating problem happens every now and then, engine hot but radiator cold.
    Thank you

2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Could be clogged radiator, if its the original then probably clogged.

Oliver Gordon and Syncro27 like this.
  3. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

Is it using coolant?
    The EJ25 head gasket had the problem where the coolant would slowly wash away the coating on the gasket creating tiny rivers between the water jacket and the bore causing coolant loss. The EJ22 head gasket did not suffer the same problem.
    I've never heard of problems with Subaru water pumps not having the power to cycle coolant properly but unsure of radiator fitted to your T3.
    I'd be going with Phil's suggestion and getting a radiator shop to check out the radiator and the (bottom mounted) thermostat due to the intermittent nature of your problem.
    PR

Dapom and Syncro27 like this.
  4. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Agree with Phil and Wiz, the water pump might be a dud but the stock Subie EJ25 water pump works fine in my syncro.

The cold radiator could mean a clogged radiator or some other blockage in the cooling system.

To checks Wiz's diagnosis, check if your oil is milky or coolant tank milky....

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    Oliver Gordon likes this.
  5. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

That would be a normal sign of a blown gasket and I agree the OP should check for that.

With the EJ25 problem that didn't happen as a tiny amount of coolant went straight from the water jacket into the cylinder bore under pressure and was blown out with combustion so not normally any mixing of oil and water.
    The clue to the head gasket coating problem was continually using a small amount of coolant for no apparent reason.
    PR

Syncro27 likes this.
  6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

It could be as simple as a sticky thermostat, as already mentioned.

And as I notice it’s your first post……..

Welcome to the Kombi Club Oliver! :)

Enjoy the ride……. ;)

Oliver Gordon likes this.
  7. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

Something else worth checking...
    The thermostat operates on the bottom hose.
    Is the bottom hose near the thermostat housing warm/hot under normal operation and/or when you have the overheating problem?
    PR

Syncro27 likes this.