"OZ", my Syncro Campervan for Down Under - REALLY pic heavy

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by kleinersyncro, Apr 9, 2017.

1. kleinersyncro

kleinersyncro Active Member

Some more work on the Syncro in the last few month - whenever I got a bit of time, I found something to do :D

As I had a wobbly gear stick, decided to replace all parts of its guidance. First started with the gearstick itself. As I was on that part of the shifting, just fitted in a quick shifting set (reduces shifting ways by approx. 25%)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took me than another 4-5 weeks to get to replace all bushings, rubber boots and some of the hinges for the shifting linkage:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Especially the plastic bits on the shifting fork were buggered... just found left overs in the box. Took me a while to source new ones. There are not many companies around the globe which offer those for a reasonable price I good quality.

Also whiles I was in the mood, changed the rubber discs from the steering shaft - what a pain to do! Don't even try it without taking off the steering column - I tried it without and failed :oops: took me about an hour to figure it out how to fit it back in...
    [​IMG]

Doesn't make a difference in steering, but it's much better to know having replaced the cracked old ones.

Syncro27 and Grantus like this.
  2. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Wow I didnt know they were still using the old bay window kombi steering rubber joiner. My 69 kombi has the same thing.

T3's really are a bay window kombi with a bigger body and quite a few power goodies and a working heater :D

3. kleinersyncro

They used them across the rear wheel driven range I think :rolleyes:

I recommend to check them - just look at the closeup of my old one and you know why

[​IMG]

And you are about right, T3 = improved T2 :)

Syncro27 likes this.
  4. kleinersyncro

What else happen o_O

Ah jep, some light upgrades :D The additional driving lights were not working when I bought the Syncro. I had already figured out that one of them got a big rust hole. Well, had some nice Bosch laying around at home since a long time, finally got to use them.
    Once wired them up, just one was working :mad: by checking the original wiring, I started to scream :confused: - it was all crap and the relay was a big lump of rust... Just pulled the plug and replaced it all and fitted new relays and wires... wondering how this worked for such a long time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  5. kleinersyncro

And some other minor light upgrades - smoked indicators and smoked/red taillights ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Syncro27 and David H like this.
  6. kleinersyncro

Green energy for OZ:cool:

2x 85W flexible solar, a little bit of glue, 10m cable and a few connectors + solar controller

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The batteries are from 2006 - really surprised that they still preform well. Even when "just" charged by the alternator all the time :confused:

7. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Wow..... that is alot of battery o_O

8. kleinersyncro

Just kept what was already in ;) 2x 90ah GEL.

9. kleinersyncro

Also installed some new window rubber seals at the front doors and a little bit of sound deadening stuff. This is to be continued, just got the front doors finished. The rest of OZ has to wait for the time after Old Bar :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Foils of the doors have to be replaced as well - some day o_O

10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Aren't you about to head north? :rolleyes:

11. kleinersyncro

Already on my way mate ;)

David H and Grantus like this.
  12. Syncro27

Yes Arne,

Yours is clearly Kaput.

I had my 69 kombi coupler replaced and the old one was actually still in great condition - its nearly 50 years old!

Looks like you snapped off a couple of fixing bolts in the process.

Definitely worth fixing!

kleinersyncro likes this.
  13. Syncro27

Arne,

Where did you get your tail light lenses from?

Ive been thinking about that and I have already done my front indicators so very interested. Thanks...

kleinersyncro likes this.
  14. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

15. Syncro27

Thanks Phil

16. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I'm keen to see the smoked lenses on Friday, as I've always been a bit indecisive about this upgrade.

Brighter the better, for rear brake, tail and indicators has always been my attitude, to hopefully wake up drivers behind, and smoking a lense, would surely dull any bulbs? o_O

They look very cool, but for me to be convinced, they would need to be equally bright as stock, when lit.

17. kleinersyncro

Hey Skot,

I got them from Brickwerks UK. They have got two options, smoked/red and white/red.
    [​IMG]

I took the smoked/red ones, same colour as the indicators.
    https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-par...tail-light-kit-t3-for-hella-bulb-holders.html

Grant, stopping lights and tail lights are same as with the original covers with the smoked/red version I got. Indicators and reverse lights are a bit darker. The indicators light is actually a orange bulb. I want to try some orange LED's in hope they are brighter.

18. kleinersyncro

On my way to Old Bar:cool:

[​IMG]

19. kleinersyncro

The "snapped" bolts are rivets, you have to drill them out. The coupling towards the steering column got four, the one going to the steering gear got two rivets and two bolts. I guess, VW didn't want to have anybody else working on those parts

Syncro27 likes this.
  20. kleinersyncro

It's a whil back since I posted an update :confused:

First it's time to share a few pics from Old Bar 2017. Was a great trip, nice to catch up with a lot of nice people and having some great adventure camping :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grantus likes this.