"OZ", my Syncro Campervan for Down Under - REALLY pic heavy

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by kleinersyncro, Apr 9, 2017.

1. kleinersyncro

kleinersyncro Active Member

No trip without an upgrade :rolleyes: As my old UHF radio wasn't willing to work, just got a new unit which I installed on the way to Old Bar - that's what you do if you are on a work trip and nothing is on for late afternoons :)

Installed it temporary for the trip, but pictures show the final result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Syncro27 likes this.
  2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

And also was excellent to hear your voice Arne, along the way, especially when things went a little “south”, only halfway north, with one of my T3’s protesting about the trip, and becoming a bit naughty!

Snapping a return brake spring, is not unlike the annoying child repeatedly nagging......”Are we there yet?”, and then misbehaving.... ;)

3. kleinersyncro

Always an adventure taking the Vans out for a run :eek:
    Luckily nobody was left behind :cool:
    Was a great trip and I did enjoy the company on the way up north! Let's donit again this year :D

4. kleinersyncro

Did some day trips around town with OZ. Just been to the VW gathering in Lorne - apart of two Syncros, just a world of air cooled'a surrounded us :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got back home and found this on my door step - unfortunately it's wasn't that unsuspected surprise I'm waiting for since a long time... maybe some day :D
    [​IMG]

Last trip around town took me to the Day of the Volkswagen in Yarra Glenn - Thanks to Gerald&Robyn again for awesome morning tea and cookies :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. kleinersyncro

Second part of DotVW

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. kleinersyncro

Some more detail work on OZ, Jail bar fitted :)

[​IMG]

Syncro27 and Luckyphil like this.
  7. kleinersyncro

Christmas time is camping time - probably not at home as it is cold winter time, but not so here in Down Under. To keep cool, or at least don't get sunburned a shadow dispensing accessory has to be added :cool:
    Well, it didn't save me from getting burned, but this was not the fault of the awning :oops:

The awning is a 2.5x2.5m from Ironman 4X4. Like the installed dimmable LED strip and the flexible joints/hinges. Brackets are of Gowesty U.S. which a friend brought me over on a trip to Australia. From all Brackets I have seen, they are the ones I liked most (and I had a look at different options).
    And most important, the awning is flush with the highest point of my roof :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Testing in the field :cool:
    [​IMG]

Also in the meantime, a friend from Germany popped in for a chat. He was travelling with his Family around Australia in a nice Syncro. They went from Darwin along the West Coast via ADL and MEL to Sydney.
    [​IMG]

Syncro27 likes this.
  8. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Is the Jailbars painted black, if so looks great. Might have to borrow that idea :)

kleinersyncro likes this.
  9. kleinersyncro

Jep, satain black painted :D The chrome look just doesn't suit OZ, so I had to do something about it. Feel free to copy ;)

10. kleinersyncro

Long overdue project - removing the gas fired stove and install a metho stove, two burner Origo 3000. The gas stove was working ok, however I'm not a big fan of carrying gas bottles and also using a unit without ignition failure mode. Further more I think the jets are worn out as the flame was more yellowish than blue.
    To fit in the new stove, I had to extend the space in the cabinet as it is about 10mm wider, but less deep and a couple of cm's lower. Also the space of the gas bottle compartment needed to be rearranged - to carry two spare bottles of metho is more convenient than having the bulky cylinders. Space for a new shelf and and drawer :D
    Also got now a small cage rack in the door to store all herbs for cooking. Additional added feature, paper towel dispenser :cool: Had to cut a slot in the door and wasn't sure if i should do so due loosing it's originality - but after giving it some thoughts and testing it out in the field, I do not regret it :)
    Thanks Pete for using all your tools ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    grantw and Syncro27 like this.
  11. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I have a very similar (probably a copy) of the GoWesty awning brackets on my syncro that I got from Van Cafe. A bit cheaper than the ones from GoWesty but great quality and shipping.

I trimmed off the top bend in the bracket which is designed for a Fiamma Awning to further reduce the height and keep the head clearance so I could still fit the syncro in the garage.

They work brilliantly and are very easy to install and put away.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. kleinersyncro

Hey Scott, GW are the same style as VC - also multy purpose either for Fiamma or ARB style awnings. Price wise I found the GW's cheaper and also did like the fact being drilled to suit ARB bolt pattern. Just checked an it seems like they just launched version No.3 of the brackets. I got version No.2 and took three of them as I though to install the awning bullet proof with three brackets. But two are plenty and I've got another idea for the last remaining bracket :rolleyes:

13. Syncro27

Really, I found the GW version a lot more expensive and they seemsed to require you to drill through into the bodywork. Anyway mine look the same as yours and as you say they are easily strong enough to only require 2.

Funny the brackets actually cost more than my awning which is 3m x 3m so I could clear over my Black Wolf tent.

[​IMG]

14. kleinersyncro

Jep, US 70/95 for two/three GW vs. US 85 for VC. It's not a huge difference, but I did like the option of getting three:)

They do recommend to drill/screw them the body to improve stability, but it's not necessarily required. This problem occurs more when you fit a heavy Awning like Fiamma and Thule. Got one of those heavy things on my Syncro at home and on rough roads you can hear it bouncing. In worst case, it will bend your rain gutter. But we are talking about a 25-30kg Awning :confused:

Agree in pricing, seems ridiculous to pay more for the brackets than the awning - solution, buy a more expensive awning o_O

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Syncro27 likes this.
  15. kleinersyncro

Des OZs neuen Schuhe :D

The time was about right to treat OZ with a pair of new shoes. The old ones were already 12 years old and had already some cracks due ageing + uneven threat wear caused by bad wheel alignment. That's all fixed now :) New shoes are BFG's All Terrain KM2 in 215/75/R15 - really chunky tires suit the Syncro look :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just need to sort now the spare tire :confused: The new size is too big to fit under the front end without modifications - problem to be solved some day.

And chunky tires are not a warrantor for not getting bogged o_O But soft sand combined with no ground clearance is a bad combination :D

[​IMG]

Some random pics from going around VIC over the last weekends - being out camping with OZ is so much fun :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  16. Syncro27

Wow ... it looks like a Baja camper now.

I have plans to get some of those tyres too as mine are now warn and getting a bit old (12 years now).

Mine are currently Ko1's but I love the better side wall tread - how much did they cost?

By the way - if you lower your tyre pressures down to about 16Psi you can drive out of almost anything. Reverse also helps a lot.

Great travel shots too!

kleinersyncro and David H like this.
  17. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Great to see the updates in this thread ;):cool:

18. kleinersyncro

Scott, we have been badly prepared for this exercise :oops: Went in there with full pressure and reduced it as I got bogged - in this just happen because Pete did stop :confused: Maybe I would have got bogged anyway - the stock MV is not really a powerhouse. Next time I'll try it with low pressure. But tracks have been deep an OZ was sitting on a banks with the engine and Gearbox. Had to dig it free o_O
    We both pulled out in reverse for about 600m as going forward was not an option. About 200m ahead there was a steep 30-50m section we would not been able to pass - but we will try it again some day with better preparation :cool:

I got my tires from Tyresales - didn't mock around, just wanted to have a quick fit. Also the local tire shop quoted more, so I just ordered them. Cost me incl. alignment etc. $880 for four. Only down point, got now less power which is really noticeable even on slight hills :confused:

Syncro27 likes this.
  19. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

Oooooh Arne.....listen...
    I can hear in the distance.... a 1.9 TDI conversion coming your way.:)

desminton and Callum Andrews like this.
  20. kleinersyncro

I must be deaf Gerald, I can't hear anything :confused: Must be far away and you have got good ears :)