Paint Sticker Decor

Discussion in 'Body' started by Wayne murray, May 17, 2017.

1. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Yes OSF you can send it over so I can use it to copy from. Would be helpful to have.

Aspro you are probably correct that the sticker would change when the Kombi started being fully imported to Australia again in 77. I do have a Dulon paint chart for 77 import colours so it thru a small spanner into my thinking of what might of been. That's why I was asking as the colour on my 72 micro bus is a 77 import colour.

2. Wayne murray

No David H it was the trade men showing the apprentice how it was done.:rolleyes::eek:

David H likes this.
  3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

So those stickers we've posted are AKD buses. Pre 77. Wayne needs to find an after 77 paint sticker with his 72 colour. Is this possible?

Cheers

4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Is that why my fully imported German built Kombis have quality stamped metal plates riveted on.......rather than VW just posting stickers to those remote factories knocking up Kombis, in the southern hemisphere? o_O

Brazil & South Africa, may have got those stickers straight.....;)

5. David H

What ...An Australian built Kombi:D??? Yeah....We bought the cheap stuff that they didn't 'value add' with nice metal plates!! Are you in 'sticker envy' ??!:p
    Cheers
    P.S. The steel in my kombi was made in Sweden from Swedish ore & I know not only his total providence (from first purchase) but where the steel was made & from what ore & where that was from. Sorta know where my kombi came from since the ore left the ground.:oops::p:cool:. Your initial providence back to the ore plso_O for the overseas built bus. Canberra not going to 'cut it'.;)
    Cheers:p

6. Grantus

I've got a Swedish SAAB in the fleet.......maybe they share "steel sisterhood"? (Your Swedish ore may be our SAAB's, grand daughter, or great grand daughter.;) )

I'll check to see if it has just a sticker, or a riveted quality metal plate....:rolleyes:

7. David H

'Ore' may be totally unrelated;). Depends on the composition re manganese & carbon & the site it came from. Is it not rusting after 40 years? What makes you think something made in Sweden is out of Swedish steel given the global economy?
    I just got lucky with 'old boy'.
    Cheers

8. Grantus

You'll have to ask the current owner in 2046, (won't be us), assuming the vehicle is still on the road. ;)

David H likes this.
  9. David H

Yeah,
    This current owner has sought lots of answers 'why' (about steel composition) & my Kombi just reno'd for another 40yrs. Won't be here to see him outlive me but happy to have been part of his life beyond mine:D. Sh*t...should have bought an Hyundai. Would have outlived that sh*t.
    Cheers

10. Grantus

Or an Italian Alfasud......Russian steel in those, so you are guaranteed to out live the vehicle. ;)

On a quiet day, you can HEAR them rusting! :eek:..........oops, my error. You can hear them obtaining rare Patina, as long as you can catch it before it becomes landfill.

What was this topic? Oh yes, reproducing stickers to look original.

At least these VW's are still around to bother doing so.............. I'm guessing there's no market for a reproduction paint code sticker for a Lada Niva.:p

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  11. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  12. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Stay on topic fellas.......:rolleyes:
    Stickers, not steel.....
    Cheers,
    Mark

13. Wayne murray

Aspro I was just looking to see what Australian kombis from 77-79 had for the sticker decor .As the colour is Bahia Blue L50A which is a 77 import colour to Australia. I just need the style of that period I will change the rest to suit my colour in the reproduction process.

14. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Sorry Wayne. I'm still confused. If you're just after a German colour code sticker for a 77-79 bus then the silver one in post 19 is what you need.

15. Wayne murray

I wasn't sure if that is what was on the buses out here.

16. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

sweedish manufactured steel apparently USED to be better than most apparently due to the use of wood in the furnaces which the by products reacted with the molten steel and effected carbon content or some such thing - No Rust in My SAAB's :p

17. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

18. Wayne murray

Thanks 77/kombi/surfer. I had been in contact with him before he went to print to get correct stickers colours with back ground format and I send emails with different styles for the years.He has printed only one style 69-70 with a range of colours over several others years which didn't match the style. Unless he does another run with correct style with year colours,he isn't much use.
    I have got the correct style with colour and codes.So when I get the time I will do a run of stickers my self. thanks again Wayne

19. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

Here's the ones off my Flipper Blue camper. I believe the Taubmans one was put over the original dulux after a fix up. The colour on the bottom half of our sliding door and rear wheel arch looked a slightly different colour. Leads us to believe that it was side swiped and repainted at some stage.

20170616_113135.jpg

20. pof

pof New Member

Hi Wayne

Did you end up getting the dimensions for that Avocado Green decal in your post?

I saw the David H post which had the dimensions of the Flipper Blue decal which appears to be slightly different dimensions.

could you please let me know if you tracked down the dimensions for that Avocado Green decal?

thx p