1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panel Beating Course - Sydney

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by 77/kombi/surfer, Mar 14, 2014.

1. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Ive just started doing this course an thought to post this up as its just what is needed for us handy men/woman who are looking at doing rust or dents and painting repairs on your kombi.
    Its only a basic over view of how to work with sheet metal,setting up and using welders,oxy torches and such.
    Theres a wednesday night course available if your more advanced at this panel beating skill and you want to focus more on your welding skills or chassis strightening ,panel painting ect this is more for you.
    Saying that theres guys there making large scale size model cars out of aluminium,motor bike tanks and advanced panel beating which is pretty cool to see how good some people are at it.
    It goes for 8 weeks and is on tuesday 6pm till 9pm at St leonards Tafe next door to the hospital.
    Cost of the course is $495 to be paid by credit card before the course starts.
    Plus you need to get a student card ($20 )to pay for cheaper car parking on campus at $4,
    so go early on the first day to sort this out at the libary and admin office.
    Theres a cafateria there for food an coffee which closes at 8p.m.
    You need to wear steel cap boots,a long sleeevd shirt and pants.
    Every thing else is supplied so you just need to turn up.
    What you do first is to learn how to cut an fold a sheet of metal to different shapes using hand tools and machines such as the english wheel an swage machines etc.
    This is ideal to help make your own smaller panels and under standing which tool to use.
    You learn how to heat and shrink metal and to use hammers and dollys to remove dents from panels.
    Next is learning how to weld using gas with rods,followed by mig and tig welding.
    following onto panel prep for prepainting and painting of panels in the spray booth.
    So if youve been looking at doing this type of course get a few mates together and
    go do it!!!!!
    chuckster
    http://www.nsi.tafensw.edu.au/Courses/CourseDetail.aspx?num=25556&sem=S1/2014&op=TP

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Money well spent.
    Sounds like a good professional course rather than the flower aranging appreciation type some tafes run occasionaly.

any chance to pick up on some of these skills done properly is definately worth it. Even the basics

3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Chuck, I'd be there in a shot if I didn't have to work on Wednesday nights......damn.

4. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Hmm sounds very interesting, I'm keen. Thanks for posting Chuck.

5. 77/kombi/surfer

the tafe has sent me an email about the starting up of the next season classes.
    Looks to start on the 8th of april.
    Ive posted the course info above.
    do your self a favour and do it! its well worth it if only you can make most of the days of the course.
    Im going back tonight an focusing on my mig welding again.Already done 3 hours welding on mig and gas styles.
    Id say ill be confident enough to work on my splitty now after doing this course,were as before i had no real idea!
    cheers chuckster

6. oldman

Hey Chuck, are you sure the re-start date is the 8th & not the 28th.?
    There's a TAFE Term break from14th April - 27th April inclusive.

or are they going to run it over the holidays...?

7. 77/kombi/surfer

I double check the dates Mark and it says the course runs from the 8th of april till the 10th of june 2014.
    Also the cost of the course has dropped to $495

chuckster

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  8. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Anyone know if this course is still available, link doesn't come up with anything

9. oldman

Here you go Steve:

Panel Beating for Car Enthusiasts

You'll need to call the College to confirm dates….(TAFE Plus courses are run on demand with a minimum number of participants required before they'll go ahead.)
    Next one is scheduled for Semester Two - 17th September, 6:00 pm - 9pm , running for 9 weeks

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  10. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Cheers mate !!!

11. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

From the looks of the quote to fix some of my panels I just got I'd be keen to do this, But St Leonard's is too far to travel for me shame there isn't one closer to home.

12. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

I just enrolled for this course starting on July 13 to help prepare for my KG resto.

13. oldman

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  14. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

I'd love to do it - just the 2.5 hours each way is a bit of bummer :(

15. Mellow Yellow 74

16. Sunset Garage

Sunset Garage Active Member

This looks quite good. I'd be keen on this to sharpen my skillset. Gotta be cheaper than trying to find a decent panelbeater these days (not saying they're not out there, just very expensive)

Thanks for putting this up Chuck & co.

17. Mellow Yellow 74

The panel beating school at St Leonards TAFE has closed but one of the teachers and his business partner have set up a new business called Motor Retro at Seven Hills. They are running DIY Vehicle Body Restoration Classes on Tuesday nights, Wednesday Nights and Saturdays starting on February 2. For newbies the classes will consist of panel beating skills development exercises for a block of 24 hours and then once you have done this you can do your own work using their workshop and machine tools. Their web site is still being set up but they are on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/motorretroaustralia/

cbus likes this.
  18. oldman

I wish these fellas every success in their new venture.....
    A great loss to the TAFE system as the result of political "change-management" decisions.....
    Would love to part of the course one day.
    Cheers,
    Mark

19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Hope it works well for them.
    The NZ 'tafe' system integrates a lot of practical 'doing own project' courses that are basically, you can do the basic course to establish basic skills then do another to build what you want with the guidance of skilled tutors.
    Very popular.
    I ran some courses for skillshare many years ago teaching welding and panelbeating.
    Ditched the model of working on a set project and allowed students to bring in their own items for repair.
    Had no problem filling places :D

For anyone considering doing their own resto. A course of any sort like this is a quick learning curve when someone teaches you the proper methods and equipment use. Lot less stress and better results unless you already have some similar industry experience.

Highly recommended

20. 77/kombi/surfer

Agree with your comments above... I did the course and learnt a lot.
    The teacher did mention to us that there were changes coming to the course.
    Thanks for the post of the updated course.
    cheers