Panel Beating Course - Sydney

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by 77/kombi/surfer, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

Lorna Keane and cbus like this.
  2. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

cool they run classes on Saturdays...
    No excuses now guys....

3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Just gotta get a visa to travel that far....:rolleyes:
    Cheers,
    Mark

4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Ha that's nothing - I've go to get Qld citizenship to get a pre 1990 VW .... :confused: Just coz I'm NSW hatched & matched :D

5. Mellow Yellow 74

I did my first session at MotorRetro today, fabricating sheet metal parts that are not available anywhere for my Karmann Ghia resto. They have a great set up so if you are thinking of learning skills and doing restoration body work yourself using a fully kitted out, old school panel beating shop, come out and have a look around during one of the class times listed on the website above.

oldman and Lorna Keane like this.
  6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Karmann?
    better learn how to use the English wheel :D

7. Mellow Yellow 74

Haha, you are right - they do teach how to use the english wheel and they even make their own cast steel benchtop unit that can be used with an english wheel attachment or a planishing hammer attachment.

8. jobell

jobell Active Member

Wish we lived closer!

9. ham2099

ham2099 Member

Hey, I've got some rust issue in the back gutter of my bus. Throwing up whether I should learn how to fix this myself or got to a panel beater. Never welded before so just wanted to know what your experience was? Think this would be suited for someone like me with little to no experience?

Cheers
    Chris

10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

If you own a kombi and don't fit the check book resto profile do the course.

Besides enjoying learning new skills you will save heaps.

Starting point doesn't matter as they with start with the basics and principles. There are many fine details to the trade and these guys will give a good grounding.

That's from someone who has done similar courses, taught a few and spent many years in the trade ;)

oldman and ham2099 like this.
  11. Mellow Yellow 74

Apologies for the delay in responding. MotorRetro is perfect for beginners - they will teach you how to cut, fold, bend and shape metal to make your own repair panels, how to weld, how to repair dents and metal finish so you need little or no body filler.

Once you have learned the basic skills, you can then bring your own car or panels in and work on them yourself using a fully equipped workshop with the assistance of expert panel beaters who are happy to help out and share their knowledge.

I have done four Saturday sessions at MotorRetro and am about to sign up for my second block of time. For anyone thinking about doing a restoration and want to do it yourself rather than paying someone else a lot of money to do it for you I thouroughly recommend MotorRetro. Edit: Actually if you want to pay someone else to do a resto they can do that as well.

In addition to the website and Instagram referred to above they also have a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/motorretro/) which includes photos of some of my work.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    oldman, Lorna Keane and ham2099 like this.
  12. Mellow Yellow 74

13. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Sounds awesome. Good on those guys for setting it up. Definitely worth it.

14. jobell

jobell Active Member

I'm going to enrol Chris.

15. Lorna Keane

Lorna Keane New Member

Hi all, MotoRRetro regularly list introduction taster classes covering welding, rust repair and panel beating, etc.

It is a great opportunity to check out their Seven Hills, Sydney workshop and meet the team to see how it would work for you.
    Here is a link to the current Introduction to Welding Class class on offer on 5th August 2017: https://www.facebook.com/events/324938191244920/

Attached Files: