Parcel Shelves

Discussion in 'Interior' started by KahunaKombi, Oct 6, 2006.

1. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Sorry but let this slip - pulled out the screws into the air ducts and checked clearnace - trimmed about 2mm (flyshit) of the drivers side as it was hard up against the duct but the passenger side was fine.
    The ducts actually do have a bow in them so will tell the mate next time he looks it over.
    Only thing against it is the dog keeps whacking her head on it when she gets out via the passenger side door but thinks she is learnig after 2 - 3 times :)

2. HempKombi

HempKombi New Member

Hey Roy,
    Don't know if you will see this, so have sent you a PM as well. I have checked the bus stop web page and can't find these anywhere, and just wondering if you would have one in stock to a fit a '76 bay. And if so, would it be possible to get it to Melbourne before Canberra?!?!
    I am willing to pay a bit extra to speed up delivery if necessary.....

cheers,

pat

3. KahunaKombi

Pat - he hides them on us :)

4. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

Hello Pat
    I have sent you a PM.
    They are coming back into stock on Monday afternoon and can be sent out on Tuesday.
    I haven't yet got them on the site, ah so little time !!!
    Cheers
    Roy

5. bikerbabetoo

bikerbabetoo New Member

just joined the kombi club and found your fabulous looking parcel shelves. We have only days ago purchesed a 73 kombi camper. even prior to seeing you on the forum we were discussing making a parcel shelf, but yours looks so neat, tidy and clean. can you please let us know how to purchase one and the cost. thanks deb and john

6. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Good device. Follow the instructions and they are fittink gut. Added some outrigger supports to ours to stop zem flopping on our rough autobahns.

7. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Just thought I would put up pics of my new parcel trays, they look a bit out of place for now, but when I get some kick panels in there and tidy up the whole bus, they should look great. i got them from guy on thesamba.com when the Aussie dollar was almost 1 for 1 with US. They are great, he does them in different colours and woodgrain also, but we werent sure of the colour the bus would be yet, so black one that battle.

Attached Files:

8. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

We have the ones from the Bus Stop in our bays but those ones look great too Rocky...black was the right choice:)

9. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Thanks Lorraine,

I too cannot live without the cup holders, essential coffee on the 20 min drive to work...:D
    i just ordered my kick panels so that should tidy up the picture quite a bit.
    cheers, Chris

10. Dr_Jones

Dr_Jones New Member

i got one yesterday for my 76 camper "Dorothy" so will be installing ASAP... They look Magic!

11. Nigel

Nigel Member

Parcel shelves & hand-bake lever trim

I cannot recall ever seeing, 1968~79 VW Type 2 under-dashboard parcel shelves, of this pattern! Who manufactures them?

Was the vertical plastic trim-panel, which surronds the hand-brake lever, already a standard fitting with the vehicle or was it part of the parcel-shelf system?

12. Nigel

Nigel Member

Home-made parcel shelves

These are the plywood & timber, under-dashboard parcel shelves, made by Mike Howles, for his British specification, 1972 VW 1600 Type 2, hybridised Devon Devonette campervan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From my e-mail correspondence with Mike Howles, I learned that he had first created a stiff cardboard template, to determine the required contours, for the edges of the shelves, where they abutt the under-dashboard ventilation ducts.

Note also, the wooden gear-lever knob, hand-brake-lever handle and portable-CD-player, support platform, which Mike Howles also made himself; some of which he makes for sale to fellow enthusiasts.

For more information and illustrations, of Mike & Diane Howles' major modifications to the Devon Devonette campervan convesion, refer to the following magazine articles:

Mike Howles, "How To: Design & Build an Interior", Volkswagen Camper & Commercial, Issue 14, Spring 2004, Pages 37~40.

Readers' Rides: Spooky!, Volkswagen Camper & Commercial, Issue 5, Winter 2001, Pages 50~51.

Refer also to Mike Howles' own Internet website, for further insight into some of his other VW Type 2 projects, a few of which, might be unique:

http://www.specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/spooky/index.html

e-mail: mike@SpecialPatrolGroup.co.uk

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  13. emby

emby Active Member

NIgel. These are fantastic shelves. The vertical trim panel on the handbrake lever comes with the shelf. Plenty of room to get a large coffee cup in the holder:D . One thing I have noticed though is the rattle of things when you put them in the shelf. I overcame this by using a cut out bit of closed cell foam ( good old camping mats...or roll mats as we used to call them)

Love my shelf:cool:

14. Camerz

Camerz New Member

im too talll to have on of these bad boys installed:( but i bet u guys dont use your knees for indicating! HA! so i win....

15. Nigel

Nigel Member

Cab parcel shelves with cup & bottle holders

I trust that those cab parcel-shelves' cup & bottle holders, are only intended for use by the driver when stationary, when no longer "in charge of the vehicle" (i.e. with the ignition off and keys removed)!

In Great Britain, being distracted whilst driving (including eating, drinking, smoking, CD & cassette-tape changing, radio tuning, map reading, makeup application, etc), is an offence leading to a fine and penalty points on one's driving licence.

Elizabeth Skerritt, "Making a meal of driving: It's an offence to eat on the move - and rightly so", The Independent, 15th March 2005.

http://motoring.independent.co.uk/features/article6216.ece

« OK, so being slightly hungover and very tired is hardly the state in which to be driving a car. Lucky I wasn't, then. As I discovered, however, it isn't ideal when executing emergency stops in a driving simulator, either. Why, you might ask, was I sitting in one of these at a British School of Motoring centre at 9am on a Friday morning? Why, I was asking myself, hadn't I headed home earlier the night before? »

« The answer is that I was to be a guinea pig in an experiment to find out precisely how much damage you can do to your driving if you try to eat and drive. Ever since it hit the headlines that the police spent £10,000 to chase down Sarah McCaffrey in a helicopter and then fined her for eating an apple behind the wheel, it has been a talking point. Only now, it seems, are we beginning to realise that munching on the move is against the law. »

« There is a good deal of ignorance about the situation. A survey by RAC Auto Windscreens found that fewer than 30 per cent of UK drivers realise that it is an offence to eat at the wheel - yet it came top of their list of driving distractions. Eating, drinking or map reading are offences covered by the careless driving section of the 1988 Road Traffic Act. ..... »

Sophie Borland, "Eating at the wheel could add 40% to the cost of car insurance", Daily Mail, 21st April 2009.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1172155/Eating-wheel-add-40-cost-car-insurance.html

« Drivers caught eating an apple, map-reading or listening to loud music face rises of up to £200 on their motor premiums. Many leading insurers are becoming stricter by checking if motorists have been caught acting in such a 'distracted' way when calculating quotes. Some firms simply refuse to cover motorists guilty of this behaviour, which can also include sipping from a bottle of water, tuning their radio, snacking or arguing with a passenger. »

« Each year, around 25,300 drivers are convicted of 'driving without due care and attention' and punished by the courts with £60 fines and three penalty points. Most insurers ask potential customers if they have any driving convictions, including for distracted behaviour, which is known as a CD10 offence. ..... »

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  16. Just Corey

Just Corey New Member

Thanks KahunaKombi
    saved me a bit of trial and error.

here's mine in:
    [​IMG]

17. KahunaKombi

No worries Vespa - if you don't have the door ducts they slot straight in but us with Deluxe trim need to fiddle a bit and glad this thread has helped others :)

18. terbear

terbear Member

I want one....I want one NOW...!!! we looked at them at dubs on Sunday and Tony said...no we'll just collect more sh##. After looking at this thread, he now doesn't have a say in the matter...:D

19. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Yes you will collect it but you will be able to find it when you are looking for it LOL
    They are great. I bought some of that rubber grip stuff that you can cut to size from Reject Shop for a couple of dollars - it stops stuff rolling around and rattling.

20. rays76bay

rays76bay New Member

My new parcel shelves from George CVD did not come with an instruction sheet
    Would someone have these that could scan them and post on this site
    Thanks

Rays 76