"Pearl" our Westy from the west!

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by KombiKelly, Jul 12, 2016.

1. KombiKelly

KombiKelly New Member

I'm Very new here and my passion (100%) for our lovely '73 Westfalia Massively out weighs my expertise (0%) so I'm running on enthusiasm and advise from you clever people ;)
    A bit of back story...
    Pearl was originally from Trinity, Jersey, I know this because I have the VERY RAD original ownership papers. Then there is a massive grey area and the next owner We know of was a young guy who drove her all the way around this fine country only to Pull into the Main Street of ALBANY WA and be stopped by the Law. They went over the old girl and picked her apart and slapped a Yellow sticker on her. The list of repairs were so extensive that he couldn't afford to get her back on the road in the required time frame, and so she sat in a paddock next to a chicken house serving as a half way house for Rats. 18 months of decay later we saved her for a bargain price. Well maybe not but you can't put a price on love ;) our priority is to get her licenced so we can enjoy her.

So this is where we are at so far...

We put old Pearl over the pits to get a realistic idea of what we where in for.

We cleaned out about half of the dirt and animal hair, and poo.

Pulled out the cabnitry that was water and rodent damaged.

I just replaced the window winders (one thing on the list that I can do myself)

I chuck up some photos :) any input or advice would be well received!!

Poptop, Shaun and BusyBear like this.
  2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    You will learn fast.
    First job is new fuel lines to avoid a bonfire.
    Check. " Ratwell"
    Lots of good info there on fuel lines and locating fuel breather lines.
    Plus heaps of other interesting stuff.
    Some searches here will give links to a lot of good sites.

Grab a good workshop manual. Or 3.

Cheers
    Col

3. KombiKelly

KombiKelly New Member

The papers we have say that it seats 4/5 there are two lap belts installed on the Rock'n'Roll seat, but there is two spare bolts I'm wondering if we moved the existing belts out if we could put another lap belt in the middle utilizeing the spare bolts.
    It was registered for 4 passengers, I think because of the number of belts, but if the original papers allow it and we do it properly is there a chance they would allow the extra seating? I added I picture of the underneath of the seat...id love your opinion.

Attached Files:

4. KombiKelly

KombiKelly New Member

My Better half is an ex mechanic so I'll handball the fuel line stuff to him. She runs like a dream but there is a very strong fuel smell when we start her up. Is this a bad sign?

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Im sure he will sus fuel smell source.
    If only on startup likely just excess fuel from starting.?

If it is there after a run or all the time then careful check of fuel lines.
    If on cornering its often the fuel breather on lhs up into intake vent.
    Ratwell diagram will identify likely spots.

Take any raw fuel smell seriously.

Run modern efi fuel lines rather than the old cloth covered stuff.
    Check spigots that connect lines to carbs and tie wire them

Not practical to fit a lap sash belt in centre position of rnr bed.
    The bolt holes exist for lap sash on the outer positions.

6. KombiKelly

KombiKelly New Member

Yeah, it's just on starting. I start it daily and let it idle, but the smell doesn't last. Thanks for that :)

7. Shaun

Shaun Member

Hi there,

We have a 73 Westfalia Continental too - not too many of the in Australia. Ours is pretty much in original condition so if you are wanting to replace/restore the interior in keeping with the original we can offer some photos for reference? Although you will find plenty on the internet too :)

8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

This is from the Ratwell site and one of the best/must have diagrams to explain the fuel vapour system : (http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelHoses.html) the fuel vapour system is where a lot of the fue; smells can come from - make sure all the blue, red & green connectors are replaced with new sections of hose also the "T" piece (15A) should not be cracked if there is one but if not then longer section of hose to join (seal) the system will work.

[​IMG]

9. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Not sure KombiKelly is going to be too interested in the fuel system info - they have not been here since 1st August 2016 - lets hope they fixed it before now. This is an old thread brought back by a recent comment.

10. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Plenty of old threads brought back ..... if it helps someone else then worth it.

11. type2mania

type2mania Member

Helped me already ! Thanks !

KahunaKombi likes this.
  12. Jethro

Jethro Active Member

Yeah, i just discovered the Ratwell site, so much great info, cheers.

David H likes this.
  13. DubDub1973

DubDub1973 New Member

Hi, should introduce myself as the proud owner of Dubdub, another 1973 Westfalia campmobile. Mine was bought new by my parents from the factory in Germany for their (2 year) honeymoon and has been running ever since. I’m the second owner. The original 1700 engine was replaced by an 1800 unit in around 1983 and the original orange fabric on the pop top and the curtains have also been replaced but the van’s still largely original. If it helps, these vans were never originally fitted with rear seatbelts. My parents had to fit both front and rear seatbelts when they took the van to the UK. When I brought it from SA to Tasmania, after being inspected, despite having been listed as a 4 seater before, is now classified as a 2 seater, so I’ll have to get an engineer’s inspection after I’ve changed the back seatbelts. Let me know if you want any pics of anything if it will help you. I’ll start a new thread with photos. Good to see another Westy of the same age!

Borgey, Poptop, David H and 1 other person like this.
  14. KennyK

KennyK New Member

I also have a 73 Westfalia. Would be great to share some photos. Just have to work out how to upload them.:)

15. 76kampa

76kampa Active Member

I hope the OPs van isnt sitting in that field rusting away.... seems a lot of people just give up.

16. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I think it’s the reality of how far you need to open your wallet, or do stuff yourself, that turns people’s dreams sour.
    Cheers,
    Mark

17. Trops Orah

Trops Orah Member

Hi
    I also have a 74 westy. It is a tourist delivery bus according to its m plate. If you have not done it yet, it is well worth decoding your m plate for your westy,(usually behind your passenger seat). It will give you build date, all options as well as paint codes and interior spec. Here is the link
    http://www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php
    Can Also share some photos if you would like to see them. We have a few bay window westy driving folks down here in Vic. 1x79 plus 2x73.
    Cheers
    Cade

18. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Definitely need to see pics Jono - uploading (if using a browser on the computer) should be fairly straight forward - just click on the little icon that looks like a moon over two mountains and then select the pics you want to load. If you need an tips, just sing out :)