1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pedal box

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Geoffro, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Geoffro

Geoffro Member

I am swapping my auto over to a manual. Is there a knack for getting my new pedal box, including booster, cylinders and pedals down through the pesky space without pulling the whole dash off? Would taking the booster off make it easier?

I am putting a SubaruGear five speeder into the van. As this project continues, I will maintain a report with images if anyone is interested. Todd at SubaruGears is immensely helpful and the change into an auto is new ground I think.

Cheers and wish me luck..

2. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Am interested in the conversion process, plenty of pics please, I think if you remove the booster and pedals and feed the separated bits through the cluster hole you should be able to reassemble in situ ?...maybe

3. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

before you pull the pedal box out check that's it's not built to accept the pedal & cylinder as it's a cast alloy part & they may have jut made 1 for both types.if that the case tou should be able to assemble it through the dash hole

ernie

4. beerboy

beerboy Well-Known Member

pictures please. taking the dash off isn't that difficult just a bit scary if I remember correctly. going to give you loads more room

5. Geoffro

Geoffro Member

Yeah I pulled the dash off the donor after the process stalled half way out so dash out it is - no troubles. I was just hoping. Also got the fluid pipe which was a score.

All my parts for the shifter conversion arrived today. T2 parts surprisingly and eight days from California. Now waiting for the slave from JK, starter motor from a wrecker, and the turbo box from Subaru Gears which is ready to go.

I have a friendly (so far) mechanic ready to go.

I will document this as well as I can for your edification and also for Todd's benefit .

Thanks for the interest and answers.

6. Subarugears

Subarugears New Member

Watching with interest. Will give you all the support I can! :)

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Be careful of the LHD parts.

8. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

G'day all yes be careful that the shifter will work in RHD it may be back to front. LOL just joking syncro. have a good day all.

ernie

9. Geoffro

Geoffro Member

Well the clutch is in and a pedal now exists where one wasn't before. I took the dash out and things seemed difficult and swear words were exchanged with the air but clutch is in. First step.

I have pictures and will attempt to post.

Now Subaru Gears were a helpful lot but a trip to Belgium at the very beginning of my transplant meant the cyber thing was going to be my conduit to survival. Love the way the gearbox arrives in a 40L otto bin. So smooth with all the necessary added bits. I have nothing but praise for this Subaru Gear guy - seems committed.

Vanagons, and maybe that's what we should call them now - go with the usa flow buddies - have a tilted floor and I had to make an angled bracket box to take the lever and carry the auto changer shifter pipe through from above the spare tyre though to the selector in a horizontal plane. This was making things up as we go but all fabricators will nod knowingly in my direction (Hiya Geoff). Now SubaruGears are working on Vanagons and are pulsing toward solutions even as we speak. Subaru Gears have a fitting now invented that makes up for the tilted selector that comes out of this new box. I tell you this guy is committed.

Just to remind, this an EJ33, damn big lump out the back and auto box made it scream like a banshee at a cruising speed, like 4800 revs at 110kmh and give me about 15L per 100. This new box lowers that to 2200 revs at a the same speed in fifth and figures for the economy are yet to be tabulated (I figure petrol is like beer and you just have to have it) but the last tank went way over 400 kms and still had over a quarter of a tank full. I am a creature of habit and filled it up anyway.

Lets see if I can get some pictures up.

This van has transformed into a rocket, if it wasn't one before, and a clutch just adds to the fun,. First gear is very high as is reverse and pulling a trailer sailer out of my yard involves a pile of clutch slip.

Now slave cylinders: Had to buy a Subaru slave as space would not allow the vw one I bought and Todd said there would be pressure problems with a Subaru one but the action is great and I would heartily recommend the Subie slave in this case. Accelerator linkage proved cumbersome but not unsolvable. As the box uses the same mounts as the original it apparently does not need engineering and the van sailed through rego two days ago.

A mechanic that was sympathetic and obviously a good guy, especially counting two weeks on his hoist and welding things back on when the first test drive had me limping back in third when he would rather have been fishing, is a boon.

I have had trouble with the breather as reverse flow throws the oil all the wrong way around but Todd at SubaruGears has been responsive and solved this.

All in all, I would do it all again - don't ask me the cost - but to transform a Subie plant towards more of what it can offer, the 5- speed turbo box is excellent and you may think the Type 3 is great to drive in normal mode but throw a bit more power at it and a modern gearbox that is tight as hell in the thing and I believe the ultimat vw is sitting on our driveways. They really are a delight to drive.

Give me time to try for piccies.

10. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Sounds fantastic - looking forward to piccies.

11. nils

nils Well-Known Member

me too, I have a subi 5 speed conversion in my future too.
    . Couldn't help but buy a conversion kit on the black Friday sale last week

12. Geoffro

Geoffro Member

Here are some shots:
    [​IMG]
    Three Pedals

[​IMG]
    Out with the old!

[​IMG]
    In with the new

[​IMG]
    VW slave did not fit