Peloquin Diffs

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Jurgen Grossmutter, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Jurgen Grossmutter

Jurgen Grossmutter Active Member

What do ppl know about em?
    Are they good?
    Cost?
    Suppliers?

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

They are good but what for? Racing or off roading?

3. peter915

peter915 Active Member

All the reviews are positive.
    A much better alternative in place of a LSD, no clutch plates to wear.

I wonder if there would be enough interest in a group purchase : could be viable?
    I see you can now buy direct from Peloquin, also AA transaxle, and Weddle, all in the US of A.
    You'd get a few of them on a small pallet.

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Are you sure that you don't want a Lock Right?

I think that Peloquins are for racing, performance etc. and useless for off road work. A Lock Right is for off road.

5. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Phil the feedback from USA is they love them for general use. The T3 racing guys are using a rear locker & claim great results. Do you have first hand experience? Gerry does on his old T3 2WD Auto & loved it and proved its usefulness on his own property where pre installation he couldnt transverse the back paddock but after no problem. So let those that have them provide the answers.

6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a thread on here before explaining the differences? I just know from people much smarter than me that there are 2 types of LSD. One for racing/performance and one for off road. If you lift a wheel will the Peloquin still drive? Most LSDs wont.

T3 racing guys????

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  7. Luckyphil

GoWesty & Terrawagen are both racing T3's

8. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

The Peloquin diffs cost about $2500 to bring into Australia, and about a day's work to fit.
    As Phil said, I had a diff installed in my 2WD, because I was getting bogged, a few years later, and still getting bogged on our camping trips I got a Syncro with a diff lock and a decoupler.
    18 months ago I sold the 2WD on, and a few months ago I had the Syncro gearbox rebuilt, and went the extra mile and had a Peloquin fitted while the gearbox was out.
    My VC isn't what it used to be.....so if the front gearbox ever has to come out, I'll be doing away with the VC and installing a straight shaft with a Peloquin diff.
    That way I'll have constant 4WD without thinking about it, and nothing to wear out.
    If you have a 2WD, and are a little adventurous the Peloquins are very useful.
    I certainly found the 2WD useful around my property, and I wasn't getting stuck on wet grass.
    But, the 2WD's are long way from the Syncro.
    And no one wants to buy a left over second hand rear drive with 250,000 kms on it, after a Peloquin has taken it's place. I had to give mine away.
    This is just my experience, and the path I chose......rightly or wrongly.

Callum Andrews, David H and Luckyphil like this.
  9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Your gearbox won't last long. I've never heard of anyone doing this.

Syncro27 likes this.
  10. Luckyphil

Gerry is paving the way :)

David H likes this.
  11. peter915

peter915 Active Member

I don't get this negative attitude on here?
    Saying an Auto Torque Biasing Differential (Peloquin) is for racing is bizarre ?

If I could afford it I would have one in each differential on my syncro.
    And leave the VC in place.
    This would make for a very sure footed AWD vehicle
    With perhaps a de-coupler as well for those trips down to the shops and back.

Sure - having a syncro with a 094 locking differential is great.
    An 094 in both differentials (front and rear) amounts to a lot of money - especially for those with 6P transaxle cases - who need to upgrade to a 6PA case which has the locking port cast in the differential case.

But

The lockable diff when not locked is like any open differential - still drives bias one axle.

And how often is the locking feature used? Really - how often?

Whereas, the ATB differential is there every single kilometre the vehicle travels - always, always driving both axles.

Yes, true, if the vehicle is stopped - bogged in sand then the ATB diff is like any open diff.

Having said that, I see you can get a ATB diff now which is in 094 format - which can be locked also.

This boys and gals would be the ultimate differential to have in any vehicle.

The Peloquin 094 ATB diff is priced at $1705.00 AU (today's rate)
    The Peloquin 091 ATB diff is priced at $ 1636.00 AU (today's rate)
    Plus freight and any duty, GST, etc.
    Gets my Vote!;):)

12. Jurgen Grossmutter

Well if Peloquins are the best l need one. Only drawback is if l get a wheel in the air l get no drive/traction.

I did find the earlier posts; duh
    Sounds like a plan. I'm interested but money not available for a coupla weeks.

David H likes this.
  13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Not negative just questioning. Have you thought about a Lock Right? The Lock Right is designed for 4wds, not for performance cars.

The only negative was that a permanent 4wd with a solid shaft cannot work. I am sure that you will agree with that.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  14. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I can swear by the Lock Right. I fitted one to my '82 camper but obviously did not need it in the '89 Syncro when it arrived on the scene. It took a little getting used to as it will click when going around corners etc. It is the design. Off the bitumen it came in to its own. One time at Bingara we were camped on a river bank. It rained and next morning there were 4WDs with pop top campers having difficulty getting back up the track leading in. I was a bit worried how I would go. Would you believe that I approached that track slowly and drove straight up. I did have a guy standing by with a long rope to tow me once I had gotten as far as I could. He rolled up the rope etc. I was impressed.

I did get stuck once. It was up near Broome when I managed to dig in in soft sand. That time I was towed about a metre. I think that, considering I did about 250,000km with it installed, it proved its worth. Most of the time I towed a 6X4 tradies trailer loaded with camping gear behind the camper. I would certainly go down that path again if I ever had to.

Ian

15. Jurgen Grossmutter

Hi Ian. How well did the van tow the 6x4?
    I've a EJ25 T3 and want to tow a single 8x5 which laden will be about 5/600kg all told.
    What's your experience please?

I'm thinking bigger front brakes, discs on rear and mech discs on trailer.

16. teethree

teethree Member

While we're on this subject does anyone know how effective either of these options or even a locker would work on the front only of a Syncro? Mine is of the non diff lock variety and I'm after a bit more off road capability but not quite ready to have the gearbox out just yet. There must be someone with a twin locker who has tried just the front?!
    Just thinkin!

17. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I've driven a few with the front locker and you have absolutely no steering with it engaged. This is why the RTA stopped them. It really is for a last resort. There is a bit of a joke about them in Germany about getting them into more trouble.

18. teethree

teethree Member

I thought that may be the case, thanks

19. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I can only say that it was really great. My thoughts before we did the Kimberley trip was that the '82 Camper should tow a trailer owing to it being a commercial vehicle. What it did do for us was at night we didn't have to make up the bed we could leave it made. Before the trailer it was roll out the awning, move gear from the floor to the awning and make up the bed when we stopped for the night. Repeat the procedure in reverse next morning. The trailer ended up with the house battery and fridge as well as the camping gear. The original fridge in the camper was 12V / 240V and really couldn't be used for very long on 12V. It was designed to run on 12V as you travelled. I simply used an Everkool chest fridge / freezer in the trailer. It worked well. You can see a pic of the trailer in the thread, http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/my-evolution-to-a-non-kombi-camper.53823/ .

Ian

20. Jurgen Grossmutter

I think it'll be a capable combo (T3 mit EJ25) to tow with fuel dropping below 400kms a tank.
    Trailer will be a mobile workshop. Van for living.
    Currently making storage in van.

Syncro27 likes this.