1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perspex Roof?

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Happy_Camper, May 24, 2015.

1. Happy_Camper

Happy_Camper Active Member

Okay guys so it seems like a crazy idea.... a Perspex/Lexan roof in place of a old poptop.
    I haven't heard the best thing about the ragtops and saw this pic of a kombi which apparently has a Perspex roof.
    image.jpg

Firstly - anyone heard of this?
    - What are your thoughts?
    - Would it devalue a Kombi?

Cheers Matt

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  2. Happy_Camper

Just found these pics that were posted up back in 2010.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

3. Happy_Camper

4. ClassiCool

ClassiCool New Member

Has anybody ever seen/heard of/thought of a removable camper top?
    Could be a ragtop sunroof most of the time, or attach the camper top when needed.

5. Happy_Camper

Now that's an idea! Wonder how to attach it so it doesn't blow off on the highway?

6. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

gday ,
    that Perspex roof would be do able as you see in the picture.
    You,d have to make sure the plastic is uv proof or it,ll brake down and go brittle over time and leak water.
    As for decreasing the value id personally say most kombi owners would say that they wouldn't buy the the car if it came up for sale unless its super cheap, so your relying on a smaller market of maybe young buyers who would put on big rims and pimp it out as the picture shows.
    There is one company that does rag top roofs which has been around for a while.
    The u.k. brand rag top sun roofs by http://www.parisbeetles.co.uk/
    and from the people i,ve talked to who have them fitted say they have really good water tight seals.
    Your up for $1k+ on exchange rate to get one and they are reasonably simple to install.
    Nothing like having the roof open on a nice sunny day!!!
    End of the day its your car so its up to you which way you go with it.
    cheers chuckster

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  7. Happy_Camper

Yeah definitely, it's called Lexan I think.

Yeah it was just quick idea I came up with,
    I've heard mixed reviews about those ragtops.

It's such a hard decision! Camper? Or go for something different, I dunno.

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

yep. Lexan
    gimmicky things are usualy a detraction but as chuckie said. 'its your kombi.'
    just think on it for a long while and sort all the issues before starting any such mods

9. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

Give it a crack, whats the Lexan going to cost?
    If after a year or so you want/need a camper roof, you still have a big piece of Lexan!

Interchangeable roofs? there's a challenge, but I had a Triumph stag some years ago with a removable hard to, one lock-in clip at the back and two clips at the front on the windscreen, it didn't blow of at 160+ KMH so that system worked, about the only thing that was reliable on the Stag.

Steve

10. bolts

bolts Member

Lexan is the trade name for polycarbonate and perspex is the trade name for acrylic. Polycarbonate is almost bullet proof but it does deteriorate in the UV light. Acrylic is very strong and is stable under UV. Both are subject to easy scratching. Be VERY careful when washing the car, don't drag grit over the polycarbonate/acrylic as it will scratch easily. Both can suffer from stress fractures. If you need to bend it to shape, make sure you heat it up so that it can assume the shape of the bend. Don't just screw it down under stress, you will end up with lots of microfractures where the stress points are.

11. Happy_Camper

Yeah I'm thinking I. Might just go the safe way and respray the poptop and put it back on haha, was keen to see what people thought.

Hi I got a quote of $480+ shipping for a large sheet of Lexan which I thought wasn't a bad price,
    But I would hate to think that I could go to all the hard work it fall apart after a few months.

Cheers Matt

12. lolight70

lolight70 New Member

I drove a low light for years with a cover over the pop top hole, first I drove it with no cover, very windy and used to get my neck sunburnt:(
    So I went to my local trimmer and made a top similar to what Utes use
    Had 2 bows across, press studs all around and the front part was different
    Could be rolled up too. Lasted for years

13. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

The clear roof would get some quizical looks around the place and whats better than sleeping under the stars and keeping the mozzies and rain away ;)

but I suspect it would get DAMN HOT in the sun.....