Perth 2014

Discussion in 'Event Discussion' started by saabman, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Wattie

Wattie Active Member

Good to see everyone is ok, what is it with fuel pumps on air-cooled engines? I really hope you don't need a flat top tow Martin, not that we'll ever know as there will be no witnesses :lol:
    I wonder if the RAC will ban cover on kombis that wander away from the metropolitan area, we certainly got our monies worth !
    Just a quick update on our situation, I have got a full auto gasket & seal O/haul kit new pinion & diff carrier bearings and the new crown wheel & pinion should be here tomorrow lunchtime. We are not sure which way to head from Perth, up north is a washout so we might head south to friends in Denmark then go home taking our time via Mt Gambier, we'll do "up north" when the weather is a little more settled, might even see if a "bay" will join us in case we break down again :lol:

2. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

Fitted fuel pump myself while waiting for repair guy to show up, waited for him to show to let him know all was ok. Problem didnt go away.....appears to be starving of fuel up hills big time.went another 150km and camped the night. Thought may have picked up some dodgy fuel with water in it fro last fill up so added some metho last night to tank.

No probs at all today and traveled 610k.

Just topped up with more metho.... ;)

3. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

It's a good thing you carry that big bottle of metho in the fridge ;)

4. vwfreak03

Lol....funny and very close...

Bought a retro bbq that runs on metho which I took on the trip....hence having the metho :) which wasnt in the fridge but next to it

5. sacky

sacky Member

Good to hear Martin if you have a fuel filter check and change that if need be, don't over do the metho its not good for your health. You are all having a great trip hope to do the same one day.

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

sounds like a good call on the water.
    Glad things still going OK.

7. vwfreak03

Fuel filter appears ok. Will try and get volks care in Adelaide to have a look at it tomorrow or the day after if he can

8. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Awesome travels folks. So jealous we didn't make it. Glad we spent time together at TBS & then afterwards at Overland Corner.
    Sorry to hear that the trip has been a bit rushed for you Bernie...I'm sure if you'd had more time & less travel to do each day it'd be a bit different.
    Glad to see you're still rolling Martin....bummer about the gearbox Wattie.....
    Hopefully catch up with you all again at the next event.
    Safe travels to those still on the road.

9. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Just use some E10 Martin, it is cheaper than metho.

10. saabman

Just pulled into renmark this morning.

Hope you are now home safe and sound Brian :)

11. saabman

Just had an interesting comment from the lady at the servo.
    She was supprised to see an Aussie driving the Kombi normally the ones she sees are "frogs" ;)

12. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

We arrived home about 4 hours ago and havejust finished all the un packing and clean up etc. Cookie never missed a beat for the whole journey. I did have faith ...in him making it all the way there and back. We bought him on spur of the moment 16 months ago. After checking the mechanical side of him out i new he was ours.Body bit rough but who cares. We had a few big days driving with him 900 plus ks. We left Ceduna at 9.45 am yesterday and was gunna stay at Port Augusta, when we tried to book was told all they had left was non power site, so i said stuff it we sleep in the bus in a parking bay further up the road 9pm to 1.30am. We then ventured to within 70ks of adelaide and tried for some sleep. Four and a half hours later wide awake and cold we started for adelaide then on to murray bridge where a hot cuppa was needed at maccas.This was around 3am, So off we go again for about hour and half freezing and need of litle more sleep. One hour later off again bound for Maccas breaky at Naracoorte at about 8.15 am, another hot cuppa and bacon mac muf and away we go for home. We filled up on petrol 26 times as you need to take advantage of fill ups where possible, dont want to run out, price per litre ranged from 1.62 to 2.20 premium unleaded.Used 1.1 litre oil going over and 1.6 litres way home. Fuel cost $1.437.41, Accom, $447 for 11 night on road and 3 of those were in a cabin. So now Cookie can have a rest for a few day and i will treat him some new oil and check taps and change plugs etc. 831.71 litres used, 6365 Kill driven, travelling 80 to 100, 13.07 litr per 100k

13. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

We home mate, was thinking of you guys when we went past the Renmark turn off.

14. vwfreak03

Still on the road as the boat doesnt leave melbourne till sun

In Adelaide at the mo..will spend a few days here then head of to the vic pre winter camp

Nice to see all the air cooled kombis made it there and back.......does any body know what wattie is up to?

15. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Marty, last i heard his crown wheel and pinion was arriving from the states today, i will ring him tomoz for an update.

16. sacky

sacky Member

Good to see you made it home Brian and you had a safe trip. sounds like Martin and Angie want to stay on the main land and not go back to the apple isle, what have you done to them.

17. saabman

Just rolled up the driveway about 15 mins ago - left Morgan in SA at 6:30 this morning.
    Average fuel consumption for the trip 10.88 l /100km

I'll post the rest of the specs tomorrow

Glad you got home safe and sound Brian and Cathy

18. Wattie

Wattie Active Member

T3 update, it seems the culprit was a failing pinion bearing? this caused the pinion shaft to float fore and aft between drive and driven modes, the amount of damage to the C&P and bearings should have produced a loud whining sound but not so much as a squeak was heard until the bang, go figure ?
    The gearbox has now been rebuilt with the taller ratio C&P and is currently being refitted to the T3 as I write this post, we will go for a test drive tomorrow morning..........yipeeeee.:)

19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Bernie
    long run. good consumption.
    Glad you guys made it safe .

Wattie
    Makes me think i had better check mine. been noisy for a while :)
    cheers
    col

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  20. saabman

It's so nice to sit in ones own toilet after 2.5 weeks if public conveniences ;)

Wattie that's excellent news you will be in the road again :)

Pitty your box didn't give some warning of the impending doom.