1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pertronix electric ignition

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Winged, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Winged

Winged Active Member

Any opinions on electronic points? Does anyone sell these in Aus ?
    Taken fron Atwell:

"Pertronix sells an electronic ignition that drops into the distributor and delivers a strong spark every time and is maintenance free. You'll notice a lot more top end power and a little gas mileage boost."

2. Marlyn

Marlyn Active Member

Do a search for electronic ignition on here you will find heaps of posts
    Petronix comes out amongst the best .i run it very happy
    Cheers

3. chenko

chenko Member

i am conflicted on these.....read lots of good things but mechanic advises to stay away and stay with points and that he has experienced lots of problems

sounded like a good way and reasonably cheap for a little power upgrade

if you do buy research i have found is amazon or overseas is cheapest, get em shipped

4. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Option is breaker-less points from Wolfsburg available for $45. Advertised in VWMA.

5. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

I run petronix & have done for the last 4 years without a hitch.......

6. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

The main advantage of the Pertronix is you don't have to check and replace points but I think claims of power and fuel consumption improvements are a bit dubious unless your points are not being maintained properly.

7. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Ran the Wolfsburg Plazmex for years. Nice not to have to stick the head in the engine to adjust points. Took them out when I had other ignition / electronic problem.

8. DakDak67

DakDak67 Well-Known Member

Cheap EI , personally I wouldn't stray away from points, easy to fix, mega reliable. If you want EI, a $150 dizzy ain't going to cut it.

9. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

I have pertronix - set and forget basically.

10. Melb.VDubber

Melb.VDubber Member

Yep, agree with comments above. Had mine for two years. Set and forget!

11. nickc

nickc Member

Just had one fitted. I'm thinking good choice. We'll see!:)

12. peter drogi

peter drogi Member

With E I you cannot leave ignition switch on for took long will fry. Otherwise all good. Had petronix in bug for 3 years no prob. Now putting it in Kombi I have just purchased.

13. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

14. DakDak67

DakDak67 Well-Known Member

It's a bargain , my complete set up was $800 but I'm using the later 6al box , because I need a two stage limiter at the traffic lights in my bus ..

15. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

Pertronix gets my vote too, running 4 vw 's with them never one ounce of trouble. Very much paid for themselves in my book!

16. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

I cant comment on the Pertonix but i have a lumenition system on my 1800 and it seems to fire up quickly and run smooth, was fitted by a previous owner.

17. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Ok, so where do you get the pertronix units to suit the 205P (standard SVDA distributor), what model number are they, and what sort of price are we looking at? This is for a direct replacement for a set of points. Also do you need to replace the coil as well?

For the prices I can find, I am thinking you can buy a lot of sets of points and spend a lot of time setting them before they come close to being worth it. It takes 10 mins to pull a dizzy, replace or regap the points and refit, and 15 bucks to replace (from most local suppliers Bosch GB534). Have a electronic ignition module fail and you are up for a lot more than that and good luck finding one if you aren't carrying one.

I would recommend a second set be purchased at the same time for the spares box.

Adrian

DakDak67 likes this.
  18. Kombijos

Kombijos Member

Adrian. You will be pleased to know I replaced the distributor ( and coil and ignition leads ) as you advised and my Kombi running well now. It wasn't a problem with the auto transmission. Many thanks once again for all your help and hospitality for our Tassie trip Regards Peter Jos.

19. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Glad I could help Peter. Was great to see you down here.

I am sure she will run sweetly now, as 009 Distributors were not fitted to any VW out of the factory. All the type 4's in Kombi's had some type of vacuum dizzy, and yours was not happy with out it. Although at least we made her run a little better with a cleaned up set of points. You must be happy to know the transmission is ok for a bit longer.

Adrian

20. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

I also Carry the old points but never needed them.