1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pertronix prices and setups.

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by glow-monkey, Oct 31, 2008.

1. glow-monkey

glow-monkey Active Member

After reading through a number of forums and still not being sure which electronic ignition units would suit I managed to get onto the Australian Distributor of Pertronix systems. I asked what systems suited the 009 and 050 distributors if there was one that would fit both and for pricing on the range. this is copied from the email he sent me.

Firstly - Ignitor 1 kit number 5859 @RRP $236.50 plus coil number 5905 (Oil Filled 3.0 Ohm) @ RRP $91.30
    Secondly - Ignitor 2 kit number 6159 @ RRP $302.50 plus coil number 6202 (Oil Filled 3.0 Ohm) @ RRP $96.80
    Thirdly - Second Strike number 6210 @ RRP $462.00
    Currently I am out of stock of the 5905 coils, a suitable alternative is the 5904 Epoxy coil at the same price as the 5905.

These Ignitor kits suit the Bosch distributors 0 231 178 009 and 0 230 081 050 and I can arrange a package deal to suit, for any further information, please don't hesitate in contacting me, regards - Gordon

Gordon Ledwidge M.I.A.M.E
    Technical Sales Assistant

Pro Quip International
    14 London Drive
    (PO Box 852)
    Bayswater Vic. 3153
    Phone (03) 9761 1110 Fax (03) 97611565
    Direct Line 9839 9002
    E-Mail gordon@proquip.com.au

For more info on each of the items check out the website or contact Gordon.
    Their website is:
    http://www.pertronix.com.au/

The coils are the high powered 40,000 45,000 and 60,000 volt range.

The second strike unit is a programmable device that creates a second spark. You can set the delay time that the second spark fires this gives a more complete and powerful combustion and it also has a programmable rev limiter built in.

As far as pricing goes I have no idea what this compares with, i know that Rod penrose advertised a one off price on compufire units that fit only the 009 on special for as low as $70 in the last VWMA mag. And i was quoted $350 by my mechanic to fit elctronic igintion (no new coil and unknown what ignition unit) so the price compares well with that at least.

Hope this helps, for now I plan to fit the ignitor II and a higher powered coil, possibly the 45,000v. And maybe the second strike will be something for next years tax return.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  2. francispj

francispj Member

Why are the aussie users made to pay so much?
    yanks pay $89 for a igniter 2 kit(Pertronix web site) and even allowing for transport (about $25 US($A36) and the sinking $Adollar = about $130 =$166.00-the total should not be over $300.
    Please explain THAT to us Mr Ledwidge.M.I.A.M.I.

3. glow-monkey

I have no idea, I have never been able to find a price on a 050 set, even when i last looked at OS sites they listed ignitor I's for around $170 us but no mention of the 050 or ignitor II, This is the first distributor or site that I have found that replied to my questions.

As always shop around, I offer this only as a guide to what might be available an for the information on the suitability it is a common question on the forum (see the comments in the sticky thread on igntion by 'schmeaux' and in the engine improvements thread).

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  4. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

I didn't think that the Ignitor II was available for anyone using the factory vac advance distributor. I thought it was only for something like a 009. I'm fairly sure Jae did a little bit of research into the matter when he was looking at buying a Pertrontix for his Kombi.

5. jae

jae New Member

While i was researching electronic kits i also emailed those guys and he said,
    "Ignitor 2 is not yet available for this application and I also have replacement Cast and Billet Distributors that would suit @ RRP $321.30 & $387.20." That was his response when i asked him if the Ignitor 2 would fit into a vac advance dizzy. That was back in July so it may have changed since then or he may have misunderstood my question.

I ended up getting an Ignitor kit (ignition only, no coil) from Mick Motors, unfortunately i can't locate the receipt at the moment but i recall it being around the $120 mark. So i would give them a ring and see what they've got or can get in for you. Could work out cheaper.

6. jerrys_bus

jerrys_bus Active Member

got our second one from the states for under $100 to the door some time ago :umm: but got our first one here in sydney for $275, both were just the modules go figure

7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Got mine from the states under $100 dollars and in less time from Brisbane

8. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

me too i was using a supplier here in aus costing over $170.00
    under 100 when the aus dollar was a wee bit better damn i should of bought a heep of them

9. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

I got the Petronix billet dizzy and ignitor 2 and petronix coil for less than the kit prices quoted by the aussie dealer.
    Just search any yank parts seller.

Dave

10. Frenches

Frenches Member

Hello guys

Hi split one, the unit you mention does it suit the type 4 that most of us have, also what are the advantages of his system.
    I want to replace the coill and old point system, someone on this site mentioned a complete system, but I am yet to find it via a google search ???

11. francispj

francispj Member

I bought mine from the US for $107 delivered to my door and that was after the recent dollar collapse here-It really makes you wonder at the ripp-offs going on here.The more units sent here and bypassing the carpet baggers will level the playing field.I understand the population/unit price etc,etc but twice as much??? really .And this principle applies across the whole parts thing.Make your stand and save your wallet

12. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Frenches
    The Billett will just and I mean just fit the type IV and you will have probelms as it does "touch" the side fan duct if you are using the standard oil pressure standard its tight you wont be able to use a gauge sender (they want to exist in the same point in time and space). VDO use to make an flexible extension tube but unfortunately I think they have stopped.
    [​IMG]

13. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

Nice bling there doc :)

14. glow-monkey

Ive since had a look at the US pertronix site and it seems as AUstralians we do pay too much. It lists the prices in US$ as $35.81 for the coil and $118.96 for the Ignitor II to suit 009 and 050 distributors. even if the dollar was worth 50c US it would still be cheaper than the AUS price. I have emailed this to Gordon @ pro quip and will let you know what his reply is as soon as i receive it.

15. Frenches

Frenches Member

Hello Glow Monkey,

I look forward to the response as well

Cheers

16. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Heres my litte delivery

[​IMG]

Dave

17. jman

jman New Member

Sweeeeet Bundle of toys there !!
    I like the H-bean rods.
    Gotta love Scat gear.

18. glow-monkey

Surprise surprise, no answer as of yet from MR G.Ledwidge (M.I.A.M.E), since found that Mick motors will have the kits in again in about three weeks for around the $200 mark up from $150 (damn dollar) other than that found a US site www.classicgarage.com that will ship to Aus and has prices that convert to around the $180 + postage mark and has the full pertronix range.

19. Schnidlee

Schnidlee Member

Just got an ignitor I posted for $100AU. but the supplier didnt have any coils. where in Australia can i get a flamethrower coil and what should i expect to pay?

20. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

you wont need to change the coil !