Phillip Island & surrounds

Discussion in 'Victoria' started by Debstar, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Debstar

Debstar Well-Known Member

Hi folks we are taking in a trip before BusStop down to Victoria. while down there we would like to check out the fairy penguins on Phillip Island around the 24th of Jan. Have checked out the prices & unpowered is $58 pn!:eek: Any locals know of a cheaper place to camp close by? (we don't need power but DO need a loo) :rolleyes: of course doesn't have to be on the Island either cheers :D

73kombi likes this.
  2. Squalo

Squalo Active Member

Can't recommend a campground (I usually ride there for MotoGP and World Superbike and stay in a house) but do make sure you've got all of your warmest clothing with you... in fact camping away from the coast might be wise given how cold it can get there.

I camped on the island once on a bike trip and was wearing full length thermals, jeans and jumper AND my motorcycle leathers - in a good sleeping bag - and was still cold. Believe it or not I even ended up putting my helmet on... that was October, but the cold can/will hit at any time of the year in that place.

73kombi and Debstar like this.
  3. Peter Oberegger

Peter Oberegger Member

Don't forget Wilsons Prom, and or Cape Conrad,
    Not sure if you know this but there are Fairy penguins in the bay and other locations, even St Kilda !
    I had relatives from Europe, here last week, said it was a bit too much at Phillip island, 1000 people on the stands, 2hrs waiting because so many people need to be seated after the penguins come up the beach there is a rush to get everyone out as the penguins traverse the car park.
    Just ideas, you could look around for free range penguins and have a more personal experience.
    Unfortunately Vic has a short Summer and most camp grounds on the coast are pricey till Feb.

Cheers

73kombi likes this.
  4. Debstar

Debstar Well-Known Member

Many thanks we have found a spot about 15 mins before Phillip Island, will keep an eye out for wanderers cheers

73kombi likes this.
  5. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

I only just saw this post but I hope the spot you found was corinella? Amazing spot. Very close to the island. Good tip for anyone else considering the area. Right on the water.