Pics of my DMB23

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by samba61, Aug 6, 2017.

1. samba61

samba61 Active Member

hiya,
    please see attached pics of my Australian DMB23 after being restored by Smiths VW in Cornwall.
    the camper interior is a Devon reproduction with the curved cupboard and here is some of the spec,
    Red 9 design IRS with 4 pot discs,Red 9 front wishbone set up with 4 pot discs,Gene Berg T handle Shifter,Concept Racing Hand made aluminium petrol tank,Bu5nut Devon interior,Fire suppression system,MCJ steering wheel,1915cc Motor built by Rawspeed in plymouth with 105 bhp,Vintage speed stainless exhaust,N.o.s petrol gauge/wiper disengagers etc,Tuv approved Fuchs reps,Michelin load rated tyres,Twin round rear lights,new loom/lap belts/lenses/cables/and pretty much everything else.Clock and speedo restored,Bears Motorsport reconditioned gearbox,sisal mats in the cab,como and phosphor door cards etc,como cab hump bench seat,Front and rear safaris,8 x pop out windows...etc..etc..etc.
    i just entered her in to her first show since the resto and she picked up best in show.if you google Dubs at the beach paignton 2017 you will find a couple of videos on you tube.
    all the best
    rob 20525823_1525444374189918_2438841059279156657_n.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Ninga, 68BUS, Poptop and 3 others like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Looks great!
    Love the colour

3. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Congratulations on the win Rob, you must be very pleased with the outcome :)

4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Nice bus Rob. Congrats on the win. :D
    Cheers

5. samba61

samba61 Active Member

she is painted in Australian only colours and has twin round rear lights.....will get some more pics up

6. Subdub67

Subdub67 Member

Stunning! Loving the colour!

7. wombatventures

wombatventures Active Member

Almost hate that another bus has left our shores but love the fact that it's found a good home and is being lavished with care and kindness.
    Great job Rob, That win looks pretty deserving.
    :D

David H likes this.
  8. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Wow!!! What a beauty!

9. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

Gorgeous bus.

10. samba61

samba61 Active Member

she left your shores back in 1991 and spent all the time before i bought her being used and enjoyed,we then bought her and used her for another 18 months but it was obvious that she needed one heck of a lot of work as time had caught up with her.
    then i stripped her and off she went for nearly 3 years.....correct Australian colours were used and she has twin rounds fitted as i wanted to show she was an Australian bus and proud to be too...in2vws kindly supplied me with the rear indicator lenses and the speedo was restored and i just love the fact it has v.d.o Australia on it.
    she will be featured in vw camper and commercial magazine later this year and i can't wait to see the pictures.
    blood,sweat,tears etc and in my mind i never compromised on what i wanted for her and for me its great that other people appreciate my bus as it means so much to me and is a reflection of me too.
    many thanks for all of your comments its very much appreciated.
    all the best
    rob

Grantus, David H and melissa like this.
  11. samba61

samba61 Active Member

lr2.jpeg more pics,
    enjoy......

Syncro27, Grantus, chuck85 and 3 others like this.
  12. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Worthy winning recipient.

Excellent ride! :)

13. samba61

samba61 Active Member

DSC09858.JPG DSC09859.JPG DSC09860.JPG DSC09861.JPG DSC09862.JPG DSC09863.JPG DSC09865.JPG DSC09867.JPG DSC09868.JPG DSC09870.JPG another pic of the radio etc
    the aliens name is steve.......if we can get to them...they can get to us....he is the guardian of my bus

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 10:24 PM
    Syncro27, grantw and David H like this.
  14. samba61

samba61 Active Member

more pics DSC09871.JPG DSC09873.JPG DSC09877.JPG

Syncro27 likes this.
  15. samba61

samba61 Active Member

pic of part of the concept racing petrol tank DSC09875.JPG

Syncro27 and grantw like this.
  16. David H

Hi Samba61,
    What a nice resto. You're damn afflicted & VW's love you. Great job & so true to era. Great eye for detail;).
    Totally impressed (bet your wallet/partner isn't) but what an excellent job you've done.:D:cool:
    Cheers

17. David H

18. samba61

samba61 Active Member

yes mate a few drops.......she has a remote oil filter and a deep sump so not too worried and will be doing plenty of maintenance in the winter time to make sure she is in tip top condition.
    thanks,
    i was not sure of what the lino and the seat covers would look like as bu5nut did the flooring when he did the devon oak interior and i sent the seat cover material up to his workshop so didn't really see it all together until i picked her up from cornwall.
    she also has lovely rich maroon/red lap belts which tie in with the seat cushions and the belt line trim insert as well as the red tinware on the engine.oh and the mcj steering wheel has the round holes to correspond with the twin rounds on the back.
    green is my favourite colour and just had to have the osokool in that colour when i saw it and i have to be honest there are quite a few greens in the interior and i think they go pretty well together but had to break up the green lino with a nice red carpet although originally i planned to have the off white and aqua floor tiles but decided i wanted something a little bit different.
    As for a budget well.....there never really was one to be honest and when i worked out what i had spent{was in blind ignorance not knowing so i suggest you don't do the same}she had cost twice as much as i thought...l.o.l !!! and part of the problem was that when she first went off to be restored i still had some money in the kitty until.....red9 front end,red9 irs,concept racing tank,gene berg shifter etc etc and its easy to forget you are going to be getting bills from matt and his team for the work they were doing too.
    Thank goodness for interest free credit cards and a wife that had a few grand in the bank i could borrow.
    My bus did not come easy to me and i had to sell pretty much everything else i owned and work as much overtime as i could get to pay for it all.
    Rob

19. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Very Nice.
    I love the fact you didn't compromise what you wanted for her as I am acutely aware of what this actually means and how hard it can sometimes be to actually not do.
    The result however speaks for itself.

Good Stuff!

20. samba61

samba61 Active Member

thanks,

oh boy forgot about the pop out window catches.....she originally had short spoons at the front of the cargo area but in my ocd head i couldn't cope with the fact that all of the windows would not look identical when they were opened and thats also why i have 4 pop outs on each side so they all look identical apart from the rear corner glass.....by the time i had made up my mind i wanted long spoons all around i had already spent quite a bit on o.g short spoons from a guy on the samba site.
    in order to keep her paint looking good i visited a site called the ultimate finish here in the uk and bought special washing mitt/carnuba wax/polish/2 buckets 1 for the wash and one for the rinse of the mop in between adding more of the wash so as too keep the dirt etc away from the paint...the mop has a deep pile that takes dirt etc from the surface of the mitt so as not to scratch the paint and a great drying towel too which does the whole bus and is brilliant...also bought some alloy wheel cleaner that comes in a 20ml bottle and you apply it once a year after you have cleaned the wheels and its brilliant...very expensive though.Total cleaning time including rinse/shampoo/dry/polish/wax/wheels/engine bay/door shuts etc and all pop out frames/etc is around 6 hours...i just love the reflection i see when i look at the dashboard....ocd..ocd...ocd!!
    My wife says when we i stop spending money on my bus? i reply honestly and say...never!!!!