1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plastic fuel line (yes again with fuel lines)

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by nils, Sep 15, 2015.

1. nils

nils Well-Known Member

I had a bit of a scare this morning. When I went to start my van, as the fuel pump primed it made a unusual noise and then there was a smell of fuel.
    As it turned out the plastic fuel line that goes from the filter to the bulkhead fitting had all but burst off on the bulkhead side! luckily not while driving.

As anyone who has done their own fuel hoses will know this plastic line has no barbs or anything on it, and full a pressure line scares the crap out of me! But VW built it like this and I guess as long as the hoses are OK I works.

Well after today I got the shits with it and replaced it for an aluminium line with bubble flares. I also added and extra 100mm so that I could delete the bulkhead fitting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I know for a fact that I can not be the only one that has thought of changing out this piece for some piece of mind. As a result seeing as I have a few tools that my T3 brothers may not have at my disposal I am happy to churn out a few of these for for the cost of material only for those who are also concerned about this thing.

The material is a black anodised 6061 tube made by AEROFLOW. It is nice soft and flexible (as believe me, getting an alloy pipe in there is a lot of mucking around.) The key is to slowly feed it in from one end and form it to shape as you go. The original is 1200mm long, or I can make 1300mm to delete the bulkhead fitting as pictured. I will need at least 3 interested parties and the cost would be $10, pick up in newcastle or at Old bar.

Sorry if I am breaking some forum rules with this post, but I am not making any money on this. This is a service only because this item really put a dampener on my day.

Grantus and Luckyphil like this.
  2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I have posted in the past regarding that plastic fitting which is attributed to causing many fires in USA, the Gowesty fuel line kit deletes the fitting and runs a nine from the hard plastic through the firewall via a grommet a bit like the fuel return pipe. Terry Kay on the samba makes and sells a metal bulkhead fitting to replace the plastic one and i fitted one to my previous Caravelle. Dont stop there with replacing fuel lines as they will all need doing after more than 25 years service, costs a few bucks but how much is your van worth to you, remember T3 burn just like bays.

3. nils

nils Well-Known Member

all my lines have been done Phil, while it was off the road last year. This just means the plastic ones are gone now too.
    I think is the addition of the flare on that pipe is great piece of mind, getting rid of the bulkhead fitting was just a no brainer while I was it is.

4. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Put me down for 1 Nils.

This is a great idea.

Whenever I look at that plastic fitting I wonder when it will fail.

I only just replaced the main fuel injection lines on the old motor before the engine crapped itself and I plan to swap them over when the new donk arrives soon.

Catch ya at Old Bar...

5. robbie0810

robbie0810 Member

Great idea - one for me too please Nils.

6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Does putting my hand up for 2, make the minimum, with pick up at Old Bar? :rolleyes:

7. nils

nils Well-Known Member

that's 4 so far, I will order some tube

You boys want the standard length, or a bit extra to delete the bulkhead fitting?

8. Grantus

I assume deleting one more fitting with a longer length, would be the better option, wouldn't it?

9. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Yes please do the extra for the bulkhead delete - that thing is rubbish...

10. nils

nils Well-Known Member

unless you already have the flashy billet one and would like to keep it.

Long all-round then it is. See you at old bar

11. Grantus

No such flash bits here.

Pretty sure they are both stock as left the factory................ready to break anytime soon.:eek:

12. Geoffro

Geoffro Member

I'm in, with the extra length. But can't make it this year to Old Bar so maybe give it to Special Air Services Brendan or tell me how to pay. Maybe Brendan will go the wallet and I will repay with beer +. Or I can just send you some money?

13. nils

nils Well-Known Member

just send Brendan over to find me at old bar, we'll sort it out

14. nils

nils Well-Known Member

well that's 5, that's about all that will come out of a length.

Will have to start at 3 again to warrant buying a second, if we want anymore.

15. Nils, I'll pick up for Geoff, and if you get enough interest for another batch by the weekend, then I'll have one as well. If not I'll just pick up Geoff's.

Brendan

16. nils

nils Well-Known Member

You are in luck Brendan, I managed to get one extra than I expected out of the length of tube, lucky they approximately measure this stuff!

Brings the price down to $8.50 ea too:)

17. Thanks champion, see you up here.

18. hairyman

hairyman Active Member

Does your pipe replace both plastic elbows?

When I was digging around with my van I found one under the the van on the last outrigger before the rear wheel as well the one into the engine bay. How they ever thought this was a good idea I will never know.

19. Grantus

Yet more "proof positive" that some designers working for VW in the past, were on hallucinogenic drugs.........o_O

20. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Yeah mate, from the duel filter to the engine bay,If you need more just let me know