1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plunge tap and pipework replacement to water tank

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Purple Hazel, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Purple Hazel

Purple Hazel Member

My first project since getting Purple Hazel was replacing the faulty plunge tap, replacing the old garden hose pipework from the tap to the water tank underneath the bus and cleaning out the water tank itself.

2. Purple Hazel

Purple Hazel Member

First step was to disconnect and remove the faulty plunge tap.

The backing nut even though plastic on aluminum, was seized together which meant cutting the tap above the sink in half in order for the tap to then fall through underneath.

After much sweat, tears and loads of cursing I managed to remove the faulty plunge tap only to find that the new plunge tap was slightly to big to fit through the existing hole in bench top.

Filed the hole big enough then finally installed my new tap!

3. Purple Hazel

Purple Hazel Member

The next step was to disconnect and remove the water tank from underneath the bus and its pipework to the tap.

I found that the pipework from tank to tap was some sort of garden hose that had definately seen better days. I was after more potable drinking water not so much water with a nice plastic taste.

I tried installing proper caravan drinking hose but the outlet pipe of the aluminium was just too narrow. I understood now why garden hose was the choice earlier on...

4. Purple Hazel

Purple Hazel Member

After searching through so many caravan and plumbing suppliers, the closest fitting and most healthiest pipe I found was some 16mm rehau pipe.

It too was just thick enough not to fit in the tanks outlet pipe.

I ended up grinding the outer black coating of the rehau pipe just enough to squeeze it into the tanks outlet pipe.

4 hours later I had installed the tank and new pipework into the bus and connected via worm drive clamps to the new plunge tap.

5. Purple Hazel

Purple Hazel Member

I used a powdered tank cleaner to clean out the nasties from inside the water tank, filled it with fresh water and voila I had a working plunge tap and new water pipes from a now clean water tank ready for many camping days away from city life!

P.s I will try upload pictures as soon as I can make them upload properly... :confused:

Weekender likes this.
  6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Niceā€¦..
    For future reference, marine outlets - Whitworths etc - are a great source for that type of hardware.
    Lots of similar fittings in boats.
    Cheers,
    Mark

7. Purple Hazel

Purple Hazel Member

Thanks Mark I'll look them up this weekend!

Lee

8. Weekender

Weekender Well-Known Member

I got inspired Lee and gave my water tank a good cleaning out today with Tank Clean, with a re flush tomorrow.

9. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

But if you filled it with Adelaide water, don't you now need to start over again? :eek:

:rolleyes: ;)

10. Purple Hazel

Purple Hazel Member

Yeah being a plumber I get a bit carried away with water!

11. Purple Hazel

Purple Hazel Member

I was waiting for someone to say something along those lines haha! :p