1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PMG ( Post Master General)

Discussion in 'Kombi Spotting' started by lada2121, Apr 9, 2017.

1. lada2121

lada2121 New Member

Has anyone seen PMG Kombi vans from the mid 60

2. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

If you go to google and type in pmg kombi pictures youll see plenty. They used all sorts of vws back in the day.
    Heres a pic of one i grab off the net for you. It was forsale not long ago.

Cheers chuck images.jpg

3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

A very desirable vehicle in original colours.....:cool:
    Cheer,
    Mark

4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

most are panel vans except the one in the first photo

that is the only "manager"vehicle i have ever seen

5. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

I spent many years working for the PMG's child, telecom. And heard many tales of these legendary vans. And considering the punishment they suffered, usually at the hands of apprentice technicians, I am truly impressed that any of them survived at all.
    Would love to find one, get it back to it's glory days, and become an australia post parcel delivery contractor in this tiny country town I live in.

6. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

lada2121 as in Lada Niva? a brilliant little motor vehicle!:)
    One of my old customers still has one of the vans, it's his daily work vehicle and he carries about 2 tonne of gear in it with the 1600 engine. I have a couple of pics somewhere and will try to post them later.
    On the other hand if you want parts for a Niva let me know as I have quite a few new and used parts.
    ;);)Les

7. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Did the PMG use Bay window Kombi's?

8. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I think there was one in Victoria for sale. That had been restored but not to original specs. They did keep the red colour and black bumper bars.

9. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Bays and splits

10. 77/kombi/surfer

The answer is yes.
    P.m.g. was broken up in 1975 to telstra an australia post.
    The kombi colour changed to a yellow colour for telstra.
    The postal vans i think changed to the ford bedford vans with the sliding doors on the side. unnamed.png

images (2).jpg
    Also used other vws an different vans back in the day.
    image (1).jpg
    image (2).jpg

KahunaKombi and Syncro27 like this.
  11. 77/kombi/surfer

image (4).jpg Heres some of other cars they used.
    image (3).jpg image.jpg

Syncro27 and David H like this.
  12. lada2121

lada2121 New Member

Almost brought tears to my eyes seeing that photo , lucky enough to buy one around 1975 from an old used car yard in Prahran Melbourne for $1000 .. Although the PMG had been painted over on the doors the tire pressure numbers were still stenciled over the wheel arches. Every second weekend it did the Melbourne/Mathoura run till it broke the crank , we were towing a trailer at that time but by driving slowly made it to a farm house. what happened next ( I apologise to the Kombi purest ) installed a Mazda engine ,had eight great years driving that van till a vehicle took out the lefthand front pillar, door and wheel arch. Wont say what happened next but knowing restorations costs it would have taken about $5000 to put it back on the road today. How do i know this , started an apprentice panel beater at Smiths of Fairfeild authorised VW new sales , spares and repair in 1960 finished apprenticeship in 1965 stayed another two years then went to Spencer Motors VW , at that time were largest VW company , had everything, i dont think there was anything that could not be repaired , one section repaired bent front axle beams , swing arms anything that was bent went out of there straight, large trim shop . rolling road or now what is called a dyno, a full machine shop another that repaired starter and generators , i could go on but i think that ive burnt your ears enough.

To the Lada Niva , as this is a VWKombi club forum perhaps there is some were else i could answer except to say worked for them from 1980 till they closed 1996

13. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

This ones on Gummy and I like it!

Attached Files:

14. 77/kombi/surfer

15. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Telecom. Telstra didn't appear until the merger with OTC in the early 90s.

I do remember the change from the red PMG vans to the new livery Telecom vans. Then is was pretty much goodbye VW forever except for that later batch of T3 Syncros. Although a technician in a T5 did come and muck around with the pit outside of our place and we were without phone & adsl for 4 weeks.

Grantus likes this.
  16. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Back from the days when you were required to hold a licence to have a radio or televisiono_O.
    Who'da thought that now?:rolleyes:
    Cheers

17. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Foxtel have sorted that monthly "license" fee into their coffers, for those that want to watch anything that is not, or no longer on "free to air" TV.:(

18. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Sorry don't have foxtel so I missed how they still lighten your pocket;)!!
    Cheers

19. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I never thought I'd be in that boat either.

Who would have thought those late Sunday night broadcasts 18 or 19 times a year that Channel 10 used to host, playing a delayed telecast of Formula 1 races, that so few seemed to watch, and advertisers seemed even less interested in, would be stolen in a deal with FOX, to allow me no choice, but to not only subscribe to Fox, but also have to pay for a "Sports Package"! :eek:

As you said earlier, "who would have thought?".......... not me! o_O

20. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

You should live in a house with a Rugby Union aficionado. Stuck with the "Sports Package" all year! There's always a match somewhere!

David H and melissa like this.