1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pop top Sealing

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by iano6666, Feb 10, 2015.

1. iano6666

iano6666 New Member

Hi All
    I am enquiring about the space where the edge of the top meets the gutter - does this have to be sealed - along the edge & at both ends - or is to allow moisture to escape?
    Would an exterior gap filler be appropriate?
    Ta Ian

Attached Files:

2. Howie78

Howie78 New Member

Hi Ian
    I just pulled my pop top off.
    It was siliconed on along the gutters and full of rust underneath.
    Not sure if the front and rear seals are enough or the rust was a result of them cracking and leaking.
    I'll have the same dilemma as you when rebuilding.
    Good luck in your research, I'll ask around and if I hear anything I'll let you know.
    Aka.

3. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

expect this when you remove the poptop
    rust.jpg
    You can get gutter pieces that can be welded in. Difficult but better than bog.
    fixed.jpg

I've cut the fibreglass away from the gutter and plan to urethane it on to the camper when I can get it to be a better fit.

4. SteveLownds

SteveLownds Member

can anyone provide more info on this subject?

5. Happy_Camper

Happy_Camper Active Member

Interested also in what options there is out there...

6. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

We had similar when we pulled Rocky apart, however the worst rust was clearly beginning further up the roof. This coincided with the fibreglass pop top base rubbing on the roof panel.
    We ended up cutting part of the fibreglass edge back so that the gutter runs at the same level front to back, then used urethane sealant underneath the edges. I also used a rubber liner in strips to stop the flat sections from rubbing against each other. Along front and rear edges we stuck with mudguard beading.

I have no idea if this was the best approach, just what we did....

7. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

8. Happy_Camper

Happy_Camper Active Member

Okay cool, luckily mine has no rust in the roof but I've taken it off to do a proper paint job and when I put it back on I want to do it right to prevent any rust coming in the future.