1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Port Hedland kombis

Discussion in 'Kombi Spotting' started by Rocky, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Up here for work and have been doing a bit of exploring....
    So far have found 2 kombis is town, so there is hope of a bit of a gang once Rocky arrives!!!

1. Looks like a sopru pop top behind a tall fence on my way to work. It is often up so I guess there are some happy campers in that one.
    2. A bit of exploring revealed a very nice orange camper - was a full f/g roof one, like a sunliner or westy, had a Freo Dockers wheel cover...

Suddenly the place doesnt look so bad!

2. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

Hey Rocky,

Is this the freo dockers one ???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I saw this earlier in the year, while on the way back from working in Broome.

I was working in Hedland earlier in the month, didn't see any Kombis there, but heading south now. There is a guy from the noh2o forum up there with a very shmick splitty DC ute - white. I know he has some others. Check out the noh20 forum, esp this thread http://www.noh2o.org/viewtopic.php?t=2630&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I hope to not have any more work up there until winter next year. Hope summer is not too hot for you :rolleyes:

3. Fooksy

Fooksy Member

love the idea of the spare wheel on the back!!!! great invention!

4. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Yep,
    that was the one, very lucky work is paying an Air Con allowance!
    Thanks for the tip on the noh20 link, checking it out now.
    Definitely looking forward to winter too, things are going to get a lot hotter before they cool down now....
    Cheers

5. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Found another one!

On another back streets mission while checking out rentals, I stumbled across a yard with a kombi and a beetle

Blue beetle, dont know enough to claim a year etc...
    White bay window tin top. Only really caught the nice shiny rims on what looked like a very neat bus.

Getting a bit excited at the prospect of a few kombis cruising round up here!!!

6. okymura

okymura Member

Drove our Kombi from Adelaide to Pt Hedland during May and the only Kombi I saw was at Karratha, a nice silver one. I couldn't help park next to it in Macca's and chat to the owner who is from Hedland.

7. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

There are plenty around, funny though, haven't yet seen a silver one and must have missed yours..... or are you still here????

8. okymura

okymura Member

Sorry meant March, my kids (not kids anymore) often send me pics of the ones they see around Hedland. I'll try and upload a shot of the silver one. The guy was from NZ I think and he said he was in a 9 member VW club up there.
    Cheers
    Darren

9. okymura

okymura Member

Here is the silver Bay and ours at Karratha McDonads, We left 2 days before Cyclone Lau hit.

[​IMG]

10. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Nice,

We went out for a cruise with a few beetles last week - will try to find the photos and put them up here, they all had "Hedland Volkswagen" decals on the windscreens.... There are certainly a few kombis up here, will have to look out for the silver one.

Cheers