1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Fridge for Camping

Discussion in 'Camping Australia' started by Barry, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Whitie

Whitie Active Member

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Makes perfect sense, and well worth considering. ;)

Never really thought about the flow of cold air out of an upright fridge over a chest style one, each time it’s opened, until reading your post........ learnt some valuable info!

Cheers. :)

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Although true re air...a fridge that's full, especially with high water content items copes better than a lightly packed fridge.
    Specific temp of air is much lower than that of water.

A test I did on an older 300?l fridge gave a consumption of 1140 W per 24 hr , closed.
    While a shorter test extrapolated to 24 hrs and opening door 5 times per hr for a short period gave a consumption of about 1400W.

Not huge in the scheme of things for cost on the grid but relevent for a smaller fridge that is also running off battery.

The interesting point to me was the relationship of normal losses thru insulation compared to losses via frequent use.
    ie small difference in household bill overall.
    Don't have the figures but insulation quality, size of fridge ( internal vs external ratio) , external factors such as air flow over radiating surfaces are likely as significant.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Well - I have bought a Evakool TMX 50

https://www.evakool.com/factory-seconds/hotspecials/50-litre-tmx-fridge-freezer-bundle

Was on a pretty good special at the moment..............

The TMX is Polypropolene
    There is a cheaper Glacier in Polyethylene but the TMX has a few extra benefits like a low current draw.

Same footprint as the 38L - just a bit higher.
    The dual fold lid is a bonus as well.

I got the 50A wiring kit as well and will run off car battery for the moment
    We mainly do one or 2 night camps or longer drives.
    We dont do 7 nights in one place.
    So no need for a solar panel and down the road I will get a battery box.

They get a good write up from scouring Mr Goggle............
    for example
    https://outbackreview.com.au/best-camping-fridge-australia/

https://www.4x4australia.com.au/gear/electronics-gadgets/1608/eight-way-fridge-comparison

Once I get it and fire it up I will give you a run down

5. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Oh man I totally missed this reply, sorry mate. Yes thats the one I have.
    The cover I would doesn't do a damn thing except have a few pockets for cables and such and protect the lid from scratches when Jane uses as a stool to open the fly screens or get to the roof storage.

I have a 210AH second battery and no solar. Even after 3days camping in summer I am still not under 12 volts. I would guess I might get a week out of it if I ran the fridge alone?

6. PICT

PICT Active Member

We use a Bushman as well, never had a problem with it, ended up going for it after researching current draw and found it was one of the better ones being quite low, plus its handy to be able to change sizes so easily, I ended up getting an extra collar so if I want it can be even bigger.

So true but out of most peoples budget, including mine!