1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible move to Hobart area - where to live

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Deluxe, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Hi all,

I think this has been covered before on Tasmania as a whole but am looking for specific advice on the area south of Hobart.

Having both come from the countryside back in the UK (me) and Ireland (Babs), we've been pondering a move for some time and following our trip around Tassie over Christmas we became more and more convinced that this is something we wanted to do. Quieter life, more room to live and breathe and cheaper housing.

The last couple of weeks things have really moved along - a job came up in Glenorchy and following a successful phone interview I have been invited to fly down for a final interview next week.

We have decided that if it all comes off we initially want to rent in Kingston or Kettering or possibly Cygnet area (that is probably more something we'd look at in a few years once we've settled in).

Main question to locals 'in the know' is whether Kettering is too far to sensibly commute - I know it's about an hour drive but was wondering if I'd have much traffic to contend with in peak times?

Also, are there any other places we should look at down in the area SW of Hobart? Our criteria are a town with shops in walking distance and a good sense of community. Preferably near the water. Commutable to Hobart City centre (might be where Babs would find work)

Gut feel is that Kingston would be a good place to start....slightly more going on than further south....

Any advice appreciated

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  2. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

Hi mate, we lived there for many years (27) and lived in various different places including those you have mentioned.
    If you are working in Glenorchy then Cygnet would be too far, they'd think you were an alien. It's not tooo far as the crow flies but the nature of the roads and winter ice make it a slow and careful journey...but it is really beautiful in the huon valley and surrounds.
    Kingston Beach or Blackmans Bay are definitely your picks for community, water, access to city etc. Not Kingston Proper...Kingston Beach! Really nice.
    If you are working in Glenorchy then I want to give you a left field suggestion. We lived for a year or so in New Norfolk. The locals used to take the piss out of it because many years ago it housed the asylum..."funny farm" as we used to call it as kids.
    However...it is a stunning town. Very historic compared to the others mentioned and much more like the UK. Being an older town it's full of beautiful european trees and architecture. There are oaks, elms poplars etc as fa as the eye can see. The Derwent River runs through town and it I only a short distance from amazing national parks etc...and really lose to Glenorchy and close enough to the city to commute (as I did when I lived there). The realestate is much cheaper than the other options and you should think about that. You may be very surprised by it's affordability and beauty.
    Rich

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  3. vwcamper76

vwcamper76 New Member

defiantly agree with sheriff and the out let you from Kingston to Hobart you will hate.
    So many fatal accidents in winter.
    I love south arm on the opposite side still maybe a little hike.
    Richmond is a lovely little town not on the water though.

4. PhotoBus

PhotoBus New Member

Yeah New Norfolk is a good option. Kettering or Cygnet are way too far away if you are working in Glenorchy. I would assume your Kombi is not your daily drive? I just started a job down in Kingston and I live in the northern suburbs. Not a fun drive in the Kombi thanks mostly to the southern outlet which is a long steep road that is far better traversed in my WRX. Also at least I am going against the peak hour traffic. The southern outlet for people commuting to the city and through to Glenorchy is TERRIBLE.

Where is the job by the way?

5. Dan_Ling85

Dan_Ling85 Member

U leaving The beaches Dave??
    Tassie cold surf down there lol...

Dan

6. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

If you are working in Glenorchy, don't live live on the south side of the city. Peak hour is relatively short, the commute is frustrating for most people. If you dont like the cold, winter is cooler in New Norfolk, but it is a nice place overall. If you like the beach, Eastern shore past Sorell is an option, or even Seven Mile Beach. You can get to the South any time on the weekends and you have a camper.

Adrian

7. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Thanks for all the responses...plenty to digest.

Have been to New Norfolk and it was very pretty but we have an affinity with the ocean so really want to be right on the coast somewhere.
    We stayed at Seven Mile Beach at Christmas and liked it but it lacked a central 'hub' and there really wasn't too much in the way of shops/community that we could see.

Will look at Sorell but seems a bit far out and possibly very dependant on using a car?? Always like the option to use public transport and seems as though Kingston/Kingston Beach are well serviced by buses...

We are in the process of selling our camper so will be Kombiless until the project van is complete

Will have the Golf for daily use and am pretty confident that the commute from Kingston area will be a breeze compared to the 140 mile round trip I did daily in the UK around the M25 for 3 years :)
    Just interested to know if there are other areas such as Taroona that we have not been to that we should consider - we're pretty keen to be down in that area SW of Hobart

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  8. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

SwagmanShurms, I was amazed when I read your post because we have been looking at real estate in the Cygnet, Huon Valley, Kingston Beach area, as well! Quite a coincidence.

Friends of ours recently moved to Petcheys Bay on a waterfront acreage with a Blueberry farm. I don't like the cold and yes, Dan the surf will be very cold but I do like the idea for all the reasons SS mentioned.

So, Tasmanians, the Channel Hwy & Huon Hwy gets icey in Winter?

OK, I'll have a look at the Eastern shore, Seven Mile Beach area and New Norfolk, too....

9. Frankie

Frankie New Member

Richmond is about 20 mins from Glenorchy and if you were to travel over Grass Tree Hill and the Bowen Bridge you would avoid the peak hour traffic. You would also only be 10 mins from Sorell and 20 mins from Park beach at Carlton. Cafes, bakery and IGA within walking distance (oh and the pub too ;) ). Bonus to Richmond is no icey roads in winter.

Have you considered Fern Tree, Longley or Neika? Close to Kingston and the City.

10. carazeee

carazeee Member

Definitely look at Taroona, but I personally wouldn't go near New Norfolk to live! I work there and I wouldn't trust leaving my car or anything there overnight anywhere (one of my customers had their car window smashed whilst the car was in his garage over the weekend) But yes, look at Taroona, Kingston, Blackmans Bay area

11. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Thanks for the heads up...I heard similar elsewhere

Found out today that the company is actually in the CBD not Glenorchy (their PO box address was Glenorchy) so that makes Kingston Beach and surrounds a much better option...

12. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

Definitely Kingston Beach then...Taroona can be cold as ice and shady based on its position. The outlet is no problem. I travelled it every day for years. The little sacrifice it is, is well and truly made up by your arrival home. Or...the Eastern Shore is a good option. Bellerive Bluff looking over the city...places like 7 Mile Beach are great too (lived there for 3 years) but they would lack the little community culture (latte) aspect!

13. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Hi Dave,
    I haven't lived in Hobart yet, but have lived in Tas and love the capital. We recently decided to move back and spent a lot of time working out where to live....
    We loved Kingston Beach, agree with the earlier comments about it being much better than Kingston proper. Down further South is awesome, but the commute probably is a pain... Anyway, not long before we crossed paths around Christmas time, we had just found our new place in West Hobart, short walk to Nth Hobart strip, plenty of Kombi parking, do rest assured you will have city camping when you need it.
    Chris

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  14. PhotoBus

PhotoBus New Member

If you want Kingston Beach, I hope you have deep and rather full pockets. Good luck :D

15. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

That's a bit of a worry. I have a good friend who is moving to Mt. Lloyd soon and I've been looking at real estate in New Norfolk myself contemplating a move. Brendon (my friend) seems to think New Norfolk a lovely place and considering he's virtually a stranger there, has been made quite welcome by the locals.

Australia is getting to be a bugger of a place. Once you could walk any where, any time of the day or night. Try doing that in a lot of towns now. You dare not leave your car unattended any more. Ballarat's becoming a very interesting place to live with muggings, stabbings, vandalism and just plain d..khead behaviour everywhere.

Fortunately I live out of town about 30k's and have only been broken into once and that was 12 years ago now, but with Ballarat prices sky-rocketing, more and more people who can't afford to buy or build there any more and coming out my way, bringing their bored and angry kids with them. I suppose that's the price we pay for rampant population growth:umm:

16. kermit the kombi

kermit the kombi New Member

The Channel Area?

I'm 17 and I've lived in the Channel area, Kettering, my whole life and my parents were there 20 years before me and I cannot think of anywhere more beautiful. My parents wanted me to grow up there, with the boats and water so close, along with the bush right behind us. I own 2 kombi's and there is a further 2/3 in Kettering now, everyone is really inviting and happy and it's great.
    Anywhere from Margate down to Middleton is nice, it's 30 minutes to Kettering from Hobart and we're about to get a big new by-pass that's cuts off another 5-10 minutes.
    It's a great place to live and I couldn't recommend anywhere better.
    :)

Bella & Kermit The Kombi :p