1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your roadside assist photos here

Discussion in 'Kombi Stories' started by ruby6689, Dec 28, 2009.

1. alienboy

alienboy Member

Judging by the number (many!) of pics on this thread,

it seems it will be easy to achieve 365 pics, which means

every day in the calender could have a pic / thumbnail of a different bus!!

Shame about the reason behind this idea, but a good one none the less!!

2. felixjo

felixjo Member

heres mine... first time for me. worst thing is that just got her back from the mechanics last week :cry:

Attached Files:

3. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Not a nice sight seeing the vans on the back of a truck, we never had the bay on the back of one in ALL the time we had her, but max was on a truck the first day and the second. but at the time had no camera and the phones were empty. hence no pic.

4. GoblinSA

GoblinSA New Member

Here's ours.... seized motor 2 days after purchase!

But all is good - former owner was fantastic about it all.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  5. RyanSmith

RyanSmith Member

I think this one still counts.
    Helping out my idiot mate in the beetle who nearly runs out of petrol on a daily basis ;) .
    Damn uni students, too cheap to fill her up.
    Would of been good to drive past and see two vw's on the side of the road with hazard lights on :lol:

[​IMG]

peter drogi likes this.
  6. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Have only had 3 break downs in 20 years of driving transporters. Two were an easy road side fix. However in 1994 my '87 Caravelle dropped a coolant connection and, subsequently, all it's coolant all over Taren Point Road in Sydney's south.

I was lucky as I was close to home (and had just got back from driving through the Bowen Basin in Qld). Up she went on a flat bed and we took her a couple of kilometres to where my younger brother was part owner of a VW workshop in Caringbah. Fixed the next day! No pictures though!

7. felixjo

felixjo Member

Just had mine towed away bound for my mechanic just now.
    When talking to the towie he exclaimed "i have to tow so many of these", i laughed and said "i bet you do". he then promptly replied " get bloody sick of it to tell the truth" :lol:

8. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Should have told him at least it keeps him in a job.

9. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

New dizzy, Points burnt out :(

10. Joels73 Panel

Joels73 Panel Active Member

The only kombi that I have had problems with was a 2L fuel injected.
    Not very trustworthy.
    Lucky my dad is a mechanic :D So I save lots of money on roadside assist.

11. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

I had my 74 micro stop no less than 8 times one camping trip long weekend, shitty non OE quality needle and seat assy, only took a small tap to get going each time tho....

12. CAPTAIN

CAPTAIN Member

Ahhhh...all this says to me is that your town needs a VW friendly Towing Service!!:lol:

13. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

This happened just after Easter, but I was so embarassed about it that I haven't posted about it - until now. In Broken Hill, we had a fuel line split - which surprised me as I thought they had all been replaced. It turned out that I hadn't replaced one (at the fuel pump) - and yep that one decided to fail. We were actually quite fortunate as it occurred in the middle of the town, and we immediately felt something was wrong and pulled over - I still have nightmares about it! We had spare line so we got the local NRMA to take Woger to the servo and replace it, actually glad in a way we finally had a chance to use the Premium plan we have long been paying for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The moral of the story is - just because you are *sure* something has been done, check and double-check! And then check again. Don't rely just on memory or a belief that something has been done and re-examined, and don't trust even yourself. We were lucky not to have toasted poor Woger.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  14. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Great advice Woz.

The fiirst thing you should do when owning an older model kombi is to replace all the fuel lines. You really should use the correct ones as you will have trouble sealing larger diameter hoses and they may end up leaking at the clamp.

Vacuum hoses are also a good idea to replace - they wont usually cause a fire but if it is to the brake booster your brakes wont be so good if the hose leaks - like I found mine was doing. It is fairly difficult (well I found it hard) to locate the appropriate sized vacuum hose to suit. But the one I have is a vacuum hose and works well.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  15. terbear

terbear Member

Ho Hum.....broke down in Dalby on the way from Brisbane to Canarvan Gorge....
    [​IMG]

Really cute tow truck driver ;)

[​IMG]

5 hours later.......coil....

16. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

oooo goodie more great pictures for the calander :D

17. terbear

terbear Member

Don't know if this one counts..
    [​IMG]

18. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

My Ex wife rang me up this evening to say she had broken down in her crumpledore :lol: so it was Kombi to the rescue.
    She forgot to put the radiator cap on properly (whats that I hear you ask :D) Hse now has a blown head gasket/warped head. I did get it back to a mechanic for her using 10liters of water every 20km we had 50 kms to go! ended up pushing it the last 40meters.

[​IMG]

19. blacknstormy

blacknstormy Member

After my carbie's crapped themselves - off on the towtruck to be fixed :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  20. Nicholas

Nicholas Member

[​IMG]

Starter motor died :(
    the people at the servo where very helpful, the tow truck driver was funny and friendly and once we got it to a VW (20km away..how lucky?? :D ) place it took all of 5 minutes to fix it :)
    we do have RACQ ultra care but apparently you have to stuff around alot to get the extra benefits (as this happened in VIC...damn RACV! )