1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your roadside assist photos here

Discussion in 'Kombi Stories' started by ruby6689, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Member

for some reason it wouldn't let me post both photos, heres the other :)

[​IMG]

2. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Its a shame that many of these brakedowns are often little problems that could have been recitified on the side of the road quiet quickly rather than been towed somewhere.

3. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

I reckon it's these little breakdowns that teach you what to look for in case of future instances too. Kinda like a forced learning session. Problem is, the same thing will probably never occur again!

Nicholas, I know what it's like trying to use RACQ Ultra when interstate - I had to get one of my Kombis towed back from Sydney while on a trip one Easter and it turned out to be a big game of back-and-forth between the RACQ and NRMA, with both of them saying it was the other one's jurisdiction/problem.

4. kool_kombi 79

kool_kombi 79 Well-Known Member

Mr Kool a few months ago. Had a massive back fire and poped up the dizzy and vac hose came off. This was the test drive after my first points and condenser change. I got her back on the road the next day.

[​IMG]

5. Nicholas

Nicholas Member

yeah thats what it was for me too. its complete bs! luckly the vw place was 20km exact :) so didnt have to worry about using it. did i also mention the starter was completely gone? no hammer tap could save this one :(

6. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Had to call NRMA the other day. I was cruising down the Tuggeranong Parkway in Canberra when I had a bit of a grumble from the rear. I had a bit of a look and noticed nothing unusual. I continued on and just near the Wanniassa shops the vehicle developed a shake in the rear end. I parked in the shops car park and had a very close look. To my surprise I had five nuts on the left rear wheel hanging on by two threads. It was almost to leave go.

The wheels had tyres put on before the trip to Mt Gambia so I reckon that was about 6,000 ks ago. The NRMA guy had to use a breaker bar to get the nuts on to get me home. A normal wheel brace and electric rattle gun would not work. The studs were shot but gentle back and forth with the breaker bar and plenty of WD40 got them there.

I replaced the hub last week and threw the rim away as the stud holes were RS. The motto here is check that tyre places do the nuts up after getting work done. From now on I will double check mine.

Ian

7. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

6,000 k's is a long way.
    Cant go blaming the tyre shop after that amount of k's.

The left hand side will naturally loosen as the wheel rotates in that direction, bring back left handed threads for the near side!

Lucky the wheel didn't decide to go its own direction!

8. Royce

Royce Active Member

Yeah real lucky there Ian...

9. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Well done Ian in saving that one.

As a rule of thumb, I always retighten any wheel that has been off for tyre replacement or even brake inspections, after 100kms.

It's surprising how they settle in after even such a short distance, and 1 or 2 of the nuts are obviously looser than the rest..:eek:

10. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

You need to watch that some mechanics do the opposite and over tighten them.

This happened to me and I needed Jonos truck air operated rattle gun to get them off.

I havent checked them for a while which I must do.

11. 79_micro_bus

79_micro_bus Member

Not quite roadside assistance, but there was a Kombi and a tow truck !

[​IMG]

12. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Pop, Pop, Fart, Kaput!

That's how Coco went in one very busy intersection. :lol:

Luckily it was in the middle of the day, so traffic wasn't too bad, and I had a nice man nudge me out of the way onto Samford Road (a main road in Brisbane). I wasn't there for more than 2 minutes (in which I hollered for RACQ - loving their UltraCare!!) before a council worker came along behind me, got his yellow vest on, put his flashing lights on, and then asked me if I was OK.

He then asked "what year is she?" and then we were off for a long chat. Hard to believe, I know. Me, having a long chat!!! :eek

He radioed his mates with the big rubber bits on the bumper bars so that they could push me off the main road, but the RACQ guy got there too quickly. He said it wasn't safe for him to work on her there, so he had to get a towtruck to move me "to safety".

Towtruck too ages to get there, and I asked him if he'd take me straight to my mechanic which was about 8 km away, and he said "with UltraCare love, I can take you 50km away". I am so in love with UltraCare that it's not funny!

So, she's now at Pete's place (Custom Vee Dub) where he's going to give her a damn good going over to find out what went wrong. Hopefully it's not tooooooo expensive.

No photos - I kinda forgot. :eek:

13. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

What do you do when a golf gets a flat battery?

Get a Kombi to jump start it :D

[​IMG]

peter drogi likes this.
  14. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Nice Hotwires Bernie ;)

15. JayBone

JayBone Member

Proof that a Kombi with a straight axle conversion CANNOT maintain 80mph!! :(

[​IMG]

Friendly RAA in South Australia, Bella enjoyed the ride :D

[​IMG]

16. xerxes

xerxes Member

Backfire, backfire, backfire, backfire...etc etc STOP...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just got lazy and wanted a lift eh...fixed and had a sleepover with the other vw's in the mech's garage..:rolleyes:

17. jerrys_bus

jerrys_bus Active Member

Dropped a CV joint a few weeks ago

[​IMG]

18. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

From September last year. The day I discovered how to install a clutch cable.

[​IMG]

peter drogi likes this.
  19. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

the shame has only subsided

had a flat tyre but could not get the wheel nuts off , call RACQ neither could they . so had to be towed.
    even worse when it was towed from our own home as this sends a clear signal to the neighbours that we don't have a clue what we are are doing

I hear them mumble under their breath "It was only 1 wheel nut and théy couldn't even remove that''
    [​IMG]

20. courty

courty New Member

So she didn't get towed so no photo's, but a big thanks to TTMCK for getting us goind again. It's always good when the RAA mechanic is a moderator and knows his way around a Kombi. Was it ironic though that she broke down outside a cemetery....